Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 8,256 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I will be moving to Maui in February 2015. We have a large 4-year old Golden Retriever moving with us and I have been researching the best way to transport her. We are familiar with the 120 day direct release program and have started that process. However, because she is >70 lbs, she would have to fly in the cargo hold on a regular passenger jet, and I've read numerous horror stories about pets being injured or dying in the process.

I know the cost for a private charter is considerable (~35K), but if there are a few other parties interested in splitting the costs, we are willing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 02:25 PM

242 posts, read 391,899 times
I'll be OpenD for today and suggest you use the search feature to see how many (un)successful attempts there were to charter acft for flights.

Who wants to share a charter plane to HNL Sept. 2011?

Moving dogs to Maui

Dog friendly flight FROM Honolulu to west coast

Old 09-23-2014, 02:56 PM

Thanks. I actually did a search before I posted. I also tried to be as descriptive as possible in the subject line, so that I don't waste the time of folks who have no interest. I am going to utilize other boards and sites as well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 PM

242 posts, read 391,899 times
$35K seems low; $50K+ seems more reasonable (catering, landing fees, deadhead fee (if applicable), FBO fees).

Private Jet Charter | Aircraft Charter & Helicopter Rental

(It is free and no need to put in your email.)

Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
$35K seems low; $50K+ seems more reasonable (catering, landing fees, deadhead fee (if applicable), FBO fees).
I doubt you can even do it for $50K - you need to round trip charter the plane as the likelihood of getting someone to charter it back to mainland is unlikely.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:33 PM

True. There are several charter companies I am getting in touch with, but it may not be doable. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:17 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,653 times
Have you checked out shipping your large dog by sea? I found place that claims to ship dogs and people long distances, such as from the west coast to Hawaii. This particular web page says they are booked though 2010, four years ago. Maybe the company no longer exists or they don't update their web pages.

DogTravel Company - Dog Friendly Cruise / Ship Service

Other links I found, like another forum for sailing called SailNet, people were advising not to take dogs on long voyages in small sailing boats. Perhaps cargo shipping companies could ship large dogs. How are horses shipped? Maybe the same method could be used for large dogs. I'm sure that would be very expensive too.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently, the only pet-friendly cruise line is Cunard Line’s Queen Mary 2 for transatlantic voyages. I was told that Alaska Airlines offers better transport conditions for larger dogs and they have non-stop flights from Oakland to Kahului, so I will also check into that.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:31 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
I've done incabin and also cargo back and forth between SF & Honolulu without any problems for my two dogs. Not one problem. It's only a 5 hour flight. Most deaths seem to be older short snout dogs. I talked to everyone the first time and they all assured me that they were animal lovers and would take great care. Be sure your animal is aclimated to the crate and throw in an article of clothing you've worn. Be sure your crate is sturdy and zip tie the crate last thing at the airport. Tip the handler at departure and have some flyers with cute dog pic and hand to pilots and attendants when boarding. Morning flights are best and you get in noonish before the afternoon heat.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:59 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
http://www.pacificaircargo.com/pet-service.html

They do pets - there used to be a regular poster who worked for them and he/she mentioned that they moved lots of animals and put them right behind the cockpit. Try a search for them. probably a lot of good posts on that service.

Last edited by mdand3boys; 09-24-2014 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: fixed link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: