Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:50 PM

181 posts, read 303,032 times

Advertisements

How did Hawaii become english speaking society?
Wasn't Hawaii colonized by the British, which made the natives speak english?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 PM

160 posts, read 287,812 times
My family heritage arrived from China on Kauai , T.H.(Hahaniui, Kawaihau District), in the late 1800s to help out friends from the old Chinese village who came to grow rice in Hanalei. The only way they could communicate with the other merchants on the island between Hanalei thru Kapaa thru Kalaheo (Korean, Porteguese, Puerto Rican, Japanese, Swedes) was to talk in a common language to all - English. We were one of the first Chinese familys to arrive on Kauai. I understand from stories about our family pidgin English was not tolerated in the house...it was either chinese or english. The strict upbringing ('no pidgin English allowed') served our family well as many went on to become doctors, professors, painters-artists (Guggenheim Award), photographers...etc

No BUM BYE in this family!

The island of Kauai never did completely succumb to King Kamehameha's rule, ya know...Many bloody battles took place betweeen the King K's warriors and the locals. This nonsense about British influence....well I don't know where this is coming from!

I can't speak for those others on the other islands but I never once heard about British influence....wait-wait...I think I recall Dad talking about "working/fixing" at British bomber when he was assigned to NAS Kanehoe in 1944...does that count??

Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 AM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
Let me put it this way: If aliens would land on earth and had superior technology, weapons, medicine, social structure, communication, laws, etc wouldn't you strife to learn their language as well? Especially as you would have to make up new words for all those goodies (and baddies) in your native language.

Which brings up the question: How do Hawaiian language scholar nowadays address words like 'semi conductor', 'fiber optics', 'commodity exchange rates' in the Hawaiian immersion schools? Anybody knows?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:44 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Let me put it this way: If aliens would land on earth and had superior technology, weapons, medicine, social structure, communication, laws, etc wouldn't you strife to learn their language as well? Especially as you would have to make up new words for all those goodies (and baddies) in your native language.
Finally a realistic view point.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,825 times
Hawaii is part of the US, therefore they learned our language. Most people in Hawaii do know a little Hawaiian, they learn how to count to 10 in Hawaiian in school. But beyond that it's by and large a dead language, it's more of a cultural relic than a usable language now live.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Hawaii is part of the US,
BWHAHAHAHAAAAHAAAAHAHAAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
Quote:
Hawaii is part of the US, therefore they learned our language. Most people in Hawaii do know a little Hawaiian, they learn how to count to 10 in Hawaiian in school. But beyond that it's by and large a dead language, it's more of a cultural relic than a usable language now live.
Not dead, not unusable. This is addressed around 5:50.

Part 1 A Bridge Between Cultures - YouTube

Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 PM

173 posts, read 404,396 times
I'd assume it had something to do with Imperialism.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post

Which brings up the question: How do Hawaiian language scholar nowadays address words like 'semi conductor', 'fiber optics', 'commodity exchange rates' in the Hawaiian immersion schools? Anybody knows?
As "semi-conductor" ("hapa mea uholo uila"), "fiber optics" ("na oloolonā lama"), and "commodity exchange rates" ("na helu huakūʻai kūkaʻi") are "coined terms" in English, Hawaiian language scholars simply coin those terms in Hawaiian.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
"I ka ʻōlelo no ke ola" ("Life is in language"). Over 26,000 people currently speak the Hawaiian language and thanks to efforts such as ʻAha Pūnana Leo, the number of Hawaiian language speakers is increasing. Here's a link to a Kamehameha Schools report on the "revival" of the Hawaiian language.
http://www.ksbe.edu/spi/pdfs/lang_prevalence.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii