Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,930 times

Advertisements

Greetings Everyone!

I will be coming to Hawaii with my girlfriend and her sister in less than two weeks and I haven't had the time to set up anything!

We will arrive to HNL 3/18 and stay for two days before departing and heading to Kona from 3/20-3/24. We will be staying at either the W in Honolulu or the JW Marriott Ihlani Resort & Spa while on Oahu b4 jetting over to Kona and staying at The Marriott Waikoloa Beach Resort & Spa on the Big Island.

We are all in our mid-20's and we are looking for some good nightlife, active pursuits (snorkeling, snuba, cave exploring) mixed in with a little history as well and secluded beach spots on the Big Island. Any good bars in HNL on Tuesday & Wednesday nights? In most big cities the best clubs are always during the weekedays and since my GF's sister's bday is on 3/20 we want to bring it in with a BANG at some cool HNL spot.

I know The Big Island is kind of sleepy so I'm prepared to get some R&R and exursions for adventure there. Also I love local food locales so If anyone knows good restaurants for local food with decent atmosphere that won't break the bank that would be cool too.

If anyone could help us out with a suggested itin on how you would approach the trip I would appreciate it!

I always like to get help from locals who know the area because their knowledge is always vast and immense! Come on and help a brotha out!

Thanks

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 03-06-2008 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,305,701 times
While in last in HNL, we stopped for a drink at: Welcome to Brasserie DuVin Honolulu Hawaii It wasn't busy night, but this put us in proximity to several other spots recommended to us. One was Bar 35: Lounge, bar, grill, wine, beer, entertainment - Honolulu, HI. - Home

Of course, you've got Waikiki. Also check out Aloha Tower Marketplace... Aloha Tower Marketplace, Honolulu, Hawaii I like Gordon Biersch when there is music.

For a few suggestions for what to do in while on the Big Island, here is a recent thread with some links:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...-waikoloa.html

We are going to Waikaloa on Feb 19th

While on the Big Island, pick up Hawaii The Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook...this has directions to the Kohala coast beaches that include mile markers and landmarks. We still use this even as residents. Though we did find out last month that our 2003 edition needs to be discarded! Many of the Kohala coast beaches have easier access now than in the past.

Have a great trip!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:57 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
Thanks for the info cynmkolohe (I went ahead and + u on your profile)! We are going to now stay at the W Honolulu any good things to do around the Diamond Head area?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 PM

You will find plenty to do in that area...

A couple of casual favorites: Bogart's Cafe (for lunch or coffee) and the Diamond Head Market & Grill--I would often walk up to the window and order a "gourmet" plate lunch to go, then drive to the beach park beside the Kahala Mandarin hotel to for a picnic! Address: about dhmg

Here's an article: starbulletin.com | Business | /2007/04/27/

Check the TGIF section of the newspaper for events scheduled during your stay:

TGIF weekend calendar - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper

Old 03-08-2008, 11:54 PM

6 posts, read 29,346 times
Both hotels are great and in Oahu in waikiki downtown u can catch the bus to the malls and there's plenty of abc stores to shop and outlets. The flea market is the best for sovneires. In the airport there's lots of books and coupons inside for tips. Red lobster is across the street(great) lots of local food the best hawaiian show is paradise cove. Enjoy the day goes by all to fast in Hawaii. Nights are shorter.
Local food is cheap, don't leave any valueables in your car. Best way and cheap way to see the island is get a map and drive. Can't get lost your on a Island which you can go around in 3 hrs. Pack light , best shopping deals... all around! nightlife is in waikiki all night till 4am. a must see is Hamauma Bay. Diamond head for the great view. Can do a bus tour and that way u want miss anything. check the papers for specials daily. Pearl Habor is a must see. Enjoy and be safe and stay together.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 AM

20 posts, read 96,258 times
Default Jet Lag

My wife and I honeymooned in Waikiki a few years ago. One of the things we didn't anticipate was how bad the jet lag is coming from the east coast.

It took us a full 3 days before we started feeling right. 6 hour time change is rough!

SavannahPalm

Old 03-09-2008, 04:20 PM

65 posts, read 289,266 times
You are right, Atlantasfinest, the Big Island is sleepy! Contact Marriott's concierge before arriving for the list of activities. If you have never taken a helicopter ride, do so to best see Volcanoes National Park. The other day the newest lava flow hit the water. Book the flight out of the Hilo airport (better deal), and get a doorless flight as close to sunset as possible (if you can). This is not a cheap activity but you will never forget it!

The other spendy activity I would recommend is the star gazing trip to Mauna Kea's summit. This is best with a new moon. Learn how to prevent altitude sickness ahead of time.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the Tips guys! I have good news...Looks like we are going to stay 4 more days and head to MAUI after KONA! We are going to stay in Kapalua at The Ritz Carlton there on The westside of the island.

We will be there from Tuesday-Friday. I heard the town of Lahaina is good for some local nightlife, any truth to that?

Any suggested must sees and do's for the Island of Maui? Any good snorkel/whale watching combo spots & tours, beaches, adventure trips like rainforest and ziplining tips and places would be appreciated. How would you spend your time there?

Thanks for the info keep it coming . Less than one week to go!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohala Coast tennis View Post
You are right, Atlantasfinest, the Big Island is sleepy! Contact Marriott's concierge before arriving for the list of activities. If you have never taken a helicopter ride, do so to best see Volcanoes National Park. The other day the newest lava flow hit the water. Book the flight out of the Hilo airport (better deal), and get a doorless flight as close to sunset as possible (if you can). This is not a cheap activity but you will never forget it!

The other spendy activity I would recommend is the star gazing trip to Mauna Kea's summit. This is best with a new moon. Learn how to prevent altitude sickness ahead of time.
Thanks for the tips we will try to put both activities on our itin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahPalm View Post
My wife and I honeymooned in Waikiki a few years ago. One of the things we didn't anticipate was how bad the jet lag is coming from the east coast.

It took us a full 3 days before we started feeling right. 6 hour time change is rough!

SavannahPalm
Definatley not looking forward to the jetlag! Any tips on how to deal with this? We are flying from Atlanta which is 6 hours ahead . When I go to Europe I can deal with it because but going back in time is rough ( I have Vegas stories to prove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by icmc View Post
Both hotels are great and in Oahu in waikiki downtown u can catch the bus to the malls and there's plenty of abc stores to shop and outlets. The flea market is the best for sovneires. In the airport there's lots of books and coupons inside for tips. Red lobster is across the street(great) lots of local food the best hawaiian show is paradise cove. Enjoy the day goes by all to fast in Hawaii. Nights are shorter.
Local food is cheap, don't leave any valueables in your car. Best way and cheap way to see the island is get a map and drive. Can't get lost your on a Island which you can go around in 3 hrs. Pack light , best shopping deals... all around! nightlife is in waikiki all night till 4am. a must see is Hamauma Bay. Diamond head for the great view. Can do a bus tour and that way u want miss anything. check the papers for specials daily. Pearl Habor is a must see. Enjoy and be safe and stay together.
Thanks for the tips, you guys are great!

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 03-10-2008 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: additionas

Old 03-10-2008, 02:27 PM

If you don't try it at Dukes in Waikiki, try Hula Pie at Kimo's in Lahaina! Kimo's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii