Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Oh i see, and i guess that applies to those who have lived in hawaii for generations before you lived there but were forced to leave because they couldn't afford Hawai'i anymore, i assume that is thier issue too?. People like you and the way you think, are never to blame for anything or never contribute to a problem. You have no responsibility, other then what it is you want. So please leave your bs at the door.
Forced to leave? And who would you like to blame for that?

I've lost count, but it generally comes down to Walmart, capitialism, democracy, lack of monarchy, mainlanders, zoning, closing of International Market Place, politicians, pricing conspiracy theory, white people, etc....

What's missing? You! Perhaps you should have studied harder - got an advanced degree or trade. All you have ever done is blame everyone else for your financial misfortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Forced to leave? And who would you like to blame for that?

I've lost count, but it generally comes down to Walmart, capitialism, democracy, lack of monarchy, mainlanders, zoning, closing of International Market Place, politicians, pricing conspiracy theory, white people, etc....

What's missing? You! Perhaps you should have studied harder - got an advanced degree or trade. All you have ever done is blame everyone else for your financial misfortune.
Uhmmm you assuming im blaming you or anyone for why im not in Hawai'i? Im not, im also here on the mainland because i have responsibilities to others that count on me, which i need to fulfill before i can think of my personal comfort. Second your way out of the park, and goes to support how you think. Unlike you, im not here for any personal motive(ego) When im talking about issues im not talking about me, Im talking about issues that effect locals or natives ok.

Continue next post.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:47 PM

@whtviper1

Continue from last post

You would know that if you were local but your not. You assumed when i was talking about sovereignty issues, i was talking about an issue that effects me. It doesn't, im native american not hawaiian, no personal benefit if they get Hawai'i back or not. I supportted and still will support sovereignty if its found that the occupation and the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom by our country was illegal, its the right thing to do if it was illegal, thats my whole stance on the sovereignty movement, the question i asked you guys, was it possible that it was illegal? So it was you guys who blow it up into something it wasn't because of your own personal motives. OMG! Hbh is suggesting we turn over our lands! Hbh is a racist etc etc. Same thing with the conservation of aina, you took something as simple as just be aware and conserve some nature, to omg he wants to live in the past, again hes suggesting giving up our land and conforts(personal motives).

Continue next post

Old 02-11-2014, 02:09 PM

@whtviper1

Continue from last post

The whole purpose of the thread was to raise awareness of Oahus natural gorgeous nature, maybe conserve some of it for future generations. Once again this has nothing to do with me i may never go home again, this is for others(we not me thinking)

As for me viper im really not poor, i own my own business, do you? I have no debt besides basic credit and bank fees, how about you. No i don't have a 4 year degree but i do have 2+ years of college education in areas such as law, computers, basic education, business. So im doing allright.

I think what is important to understand is im here to raise awareness of issues that are not addressed in this forum because the representation is just not here. This also shows a difference between Mainland and Hawaii in culture and thinking, us locals or native hawaiians, asians have a tendency to think more we vs people from the mainland who think me.

Have great day.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:10 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Anyone notice the last entry related to the status of the bill? Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

>>2/6/2014 S The committee on HMS deferred the measure.<<

Sounds dead to me.
Yes, you're interpreting it correctly. Considering that SB 2169 was introduced by Sam Slom (the lone Republican in the State Senate) it was pretty much "dead on arrival."

Old 02-11-2014, 02:13 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The whole purpose of the thread was to raise awareness of Oahus natural gorgeous nature, maybe conserve some of it for future generations. Once again this has nothing to do with me i may never go home again, this is for others(we not me thinking).
I thought that the whole purpose of this thread was to discuss Senate Bill 2169...

Old 02-11-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I thought that the whole purpose of this thread was to discuss Senate Bill 2169...
Your right it is sorry im being rude guys forgive me. Also i was talking about a different thread.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Thank you!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm not suggesting CA or TX property tax rates, but they are way to low. A $900,000 home in CA has about $9,000 in property tax while the same home in HI is like $2,000.

While I don't have time to look up all the details on Prop 13, the basic principle is when a house is bought, regardless if a rental, it's year 1 tax is based on the sales value. Then there is a cap per year how much the tax can go up. For instance, if your $900K place goes up to 1.8 million, it isn't taxed at market rate but rather the small allowable increases. If the place sells, the new tax rate is 1.8 million if that is what it sold for. Prop 13 guards all homeowners against massive rises in property value.
Senate Bill 2169 is just part of a plan that needs to be looked at in context of total tax burden.

Prop 13 is quite simple... the entire law is only a few short paragraphs and has streamlined tax collection and greatly reduced overhead because of this.

Basically... all taxable real property is assessed at 1% of fair market value at the time of transfer plus a 2% annual inflation factor...

In addition there are hundreds of taxing entities in California which can result in a tax rate much higher than the 1%... in my case it is over 1.6% of current value and I bought in 2003.

Prop 13 limits can be overridden with a vote of the people... only 55% voter approval is necessary for new schools or to repair existing schools.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Thanks to all of you who live in Hawaii for sharing your opinion on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: