Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Always a good idea to have supplies on hand.....

"Forecasters are predicting an 80 percent chance of a normal or above-normal hurricane season this year in the Central Pacific."

"Our outlook for this season is for four to seven tropical cyclones," said Mike Cantin, warning coordination meteorologist for the Central Pacific Hurricane Center in Honolulu. "That's either a tropical depression, a tropical storm or a hurricane."

Forecasters predict active hurricane season in Central Pacific - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Yep. Its that time again. Start building up some emergency supplies. Don't let gas get below 3/4 full is what i do.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Emergency supplies in order of importance.

1. Beer (lots)

2. T.P. (100 rolls)

3. Water (whatever is left on shelf)

4. Rice (as much as Tutu can carry)

5. Spam (no lite or low salt)

What am I forgetting?

Old 05-21-2014, 11:18 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Emergency supplies in order of importance.

1. Beer (lots)

2. T.P. (100 rolls)

3. Water (whatever is left on shelf)

4. Rice (as much as Tutu can carry)

5. Spam (no lite or low salt)

What am I forgetting?
A1 Sauce, (for the neighbors!)

Uuuurrrrpppp................................

Old 05-22-2014, 02:11 AM

155 posts, read 89,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
A1 Sauce, (for the neighbors!)

Uuuurrrrpppp................................
Neighbors always taste better with A-1!!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conshelf View Post
Neighbors always taste better with A-1!!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Yup, you got it Sherwoody, first three things off the shelf anytime there's any sort of supply chain pilikia is:
1. Spam
2. Rice
3. Toilet paper

Seriously, though, folks - especially those of you on Oahu; it wouldn't hurt to have three to five days worth of food and water sort of stashed in the back of a closet somewhere. Stuff that you don't need power to cook.

So, next time you go to the store, if you're buying something that doesn't need to be refrigerated or will go stale, get two of them and put one on a shelf somewhere. When you use up the whatever it is, replace the one in your kitchen cabinet with the one from the shelf and put the new one you just bought on the shelf. That way you'll work up to having food on hand in case of emergencies and it will be stuff you use and not be stale.

You'll also save money since you can usually wait for the stuff to go on sale instead of having to buy it exactly when it runs out.

I think Oahu is about six meals from starvation if those container ships stop.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup, you got it Sherwoody, first three things off the shelf anytime there's any sort of supply chain pilikia is:
1. Spam
2. Rice
3. Toilet paper

Seriously, though, folks - especially those of you on Oahu; it wouldn't hurt to have three to five days worth of food and water sort of stashed in the back of a closet somewhere. Stuff that you don't need power to cook.

So, next time you go to the store, if you're buying something that doesn't need to be refrigerated or will go stale, get two of them and put one on a shelf somewhere. When you use up the whatever it is, replace the one in your kitchen cabinet with the one from the shelf and put the new one you just bought on the shelf. That way you'll work up to having food on hand in case of emergencies and it will be stuff you use and not be stale.

You'll also save money since you can usually wait for the stuff to go on sale instead of having to buy it exactly when it runs out.

I think Oahu is about six meals from starvation if those container ships stop.
There will always be an abundant supply of Long Pig - hope the A1 supply holds up!!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
But just think of the diseases which could be transferred. Cook it thoroughly, although I doubt that would be enough. Case of tuna fish, case of canned beans, box of those little mayo packets and a case of crackers would be a much easier answer. I guess I'm just lazy.

Big Island, though, no prob. As our ex-Mayor Kim once said "well, we can always eat the cows".

Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
But just think of the diseases which could be transferred. Cook it thoroughly, although I doubt that would be enough. Case of tuna fish, case of canned beans, box of those little mayo packets and a case of crackers would be a much easier answer. I guess I'm just lazy.

Big Island, though, no prob. As our ex-Mayor Kim once said "well, we can always eat the cows".
Have you ever enjoyed Long Pig? Perhaps roasted on a spit - ouch!!!!

Long Pig is closely related, although not nearly as processed as Soylent Green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: