Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you seeing a healthier economy??
Very Much So 4 44.44%
A little 4 44.44%
No so much 0 0%
Not at all 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'd think that a lot of the money spent at the hotels in Waikiki immediately leaves Waikiki. The hotels have a staff, but they aren't all that highly paid although the staff's pay would be the part of the hotel money that stays in Hawaii. When the hotels and businesses are owned by folks who don't live in Hawaii, let alone Waikiki, then all those establishments do is suck money out of Hawaii. Folks renting out a room on Air BnB probably do more to keep the money in their local economy than the bigger fancy hotels do.
I've got to disagree with you on several points.

The hotel industry on Oahu pays well - what gives you the impression otherwise? Many positions are unionized - maids make an average of over $30,000, comparable to places like San Francisco.

By far the bulk of the money generated by the hotel industry stays in Hawaii. It isn't just salaries. There are taxes the employees pay - state taxes the hotel pay - taxes the tourists pay not just the hotel taxes - but also all the money they spend in Hawaii. There is construction going on all the time - all generated in Hawaii. I'd say very little money "leaves" Hawaii - and one forgets how recently hotels were losing tens of millions of dollars as recently as 2008 - it all balances out.

Did you know that if Waikiki beach eroded, it would cost the state $2 Billion annually in tourist revenue and cost 6,000 jobs.

Erosion of Waikiki Beach would cut Hawaii tourism by $2 billion | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

Let's talk about the cancer that airBnB is -

First off, they are illegal. But even if you are fine ethically supporting an illegal operation - it creates much higher rents for residents - much higher. You take out all the illegal vacation rentals and airBnB and watch those rents come down, a lot. There are safety issues with a transient population and no regulation. Revenue is lost to state tax revenue. It causes job losses when people don't stay where they are supposed to stay (hotels)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 02:51 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
The reality is that the vast majority of hotel revenue goes directly back into the local economy to pay all the expenses of the hotel operation. From salaries and benefits to electric bills, water bills, grounds maintenance, building maintenance, cleaning, new linens, taxes, etc.

And even all the money they spend on other things, like food for the restaurants, has a ripple effect because that money goes to the Hawaii distributor, which then goes to the employees of that company.

In the end, after all expenses and taxes, average hotels in the United States have about a 5% Net Profit margin. Most of that 5% probably leaves the island. But the bulk of he other 95% stays in Hawaii to pay the operating expenses and taxes.

Here is a recent article that talks about hotel operations and profit margins. Again, Net Profit is the profit after all expenses and taxes. Gross profit is not.

How U.S. Hotels Are Faring - Forbes

Old 09-26-2014, 03:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Let's talk about the cancer that airBnB is -

First off, they are illegal.
I should probably Google it. What is this?

Old 09-26-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I should probably Google it. What is this?
Airbnb is a website that allows you to rent bedrooms in your house or condo illegally - as the rentals are short-term.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:18 PM

246 posts, read 650,184 times
The problem is that we are taxing very little on the hotel owners, but yet a lot of taxed monies for the entire island go to pay for all these Waikiki beautification projects of the streets and sidewalks, policing, and events like sunset on the beach. 2 million tourists per year take its toll on infrastructure.

Our government is scared to tax the hotels more for their share of infrastructure maintenance, so we continue to have crappy highway roads and the main reason why public places look dilapidated.

I remember visiting Seattle 10 years ago and paying 17% tax on my hotel bill, 10 years later people are still going to Seattle for vacation.

As for the homeless, they are not people who just ran out of money and have difficulty getting jobs. They are chronic addicts, criminals, mentally imbalanced, socially troubled people, many which were dumped here from the mainland.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post

I remember visiting Seattle 10 years ago and paying 17% tax on my hotel bill, 10 years later people are still going to Seattle for vacation.
You pay about 14% of the rate in taxes on Oahu - not exactly a small amount.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:49 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Don't forget about the other places that the people staying in those hotel rooms spend their money. I know that when we go there we end up spending more money on food and activities all over Oahu then we do on the hotel we stay in.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:10 AM

287 posts, read 1,372,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
The reality is that the vast majority of hotel revenue goes directly back into the local economy to pay all the expenses of the hotel operation. From salaries and benefits to electric bills, water bills, grounds maintenance, building maintenance, cleaning, new linens, taxes, etc.

And even all the money they spend on other things, like food for the restaurants, has a ripple effect because that money goes to the Hawaii distributor, which then goes to the employees of that company.

In the end, after all expenses and taxes, average hotels in the United States have about a 5% Net Profit margin. Most of that 5% probably leaves the island. But the bulk of he other 95% stays in Hawaii to pay the operating expenses and taxes.

WaikikiBoy has a point...If we take the following to be true:
  1. Tourism is the backbone of the Hawaiian economy
  2. Waikiki is the economic engine of the Hawaii
  3. Hotel vacancy rates is a primary economic indicator
Then my question is simple...and it goes back to the title of the thread...since we are having record rates (revenues) why is it not showing on the street (in the middle class)...are we feeling good about the vacancy rate and the associated revenues....but nothing will really change for the majority of taxpayers-the middle class?

Old 09-27-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
but nothing will really change for the majority of taxpayers-the middle class?
Probably not if you don't own a home - Hawaii isn't exactly the kind of place the middle class should expect to be doing well - lets face it, if that were the case - a lot more people would be living here. It makes for a good deterrence. There needs to be something on small islands to discourage people from moving to a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:06 PM

287 posts, read 1,372,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Probably not if you don't own a home - Hawaii isn't exactly the kind of place the middle class should expect to be doing well - lets face it, if that were the case - a lot more people would be living here. It makes for a good deterrence. There needs to be something on small islands to discourage people from moving to a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Thanks for the honesty Whtviper1....I think your comments ring true anywhere....the middle class is what is paying for all of the services....but get little in return. This is why we (me) can't see the where that wealth is going. I got a 2% increase this year that went directly into my HOA increase, UH tuition increase..etc.. I am now officially in a higher tax bracket....but earning less!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: