Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:48 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 838454 View Post
I put this post up with the thought of remembering some one on a day that was special probably forever. A feel good thread from the past by someone I thought was an amazing surfer and waterman. I'm not on island nor I have I ever met Eddie but the skills in the water that he had were amazing and quite inspiring. HBH I was surprised by your posted being so critical of dreaming and grassyknoll. For someone with the aloha spirit from many of your past posts I'm summing it up to season effect disorder due to your crummy weather. If you want to continue on with the negativity so be it enjoy your thread

I don't believe HBH took any shots at dreaming or myself, I think it was a generalized statement towards some routine players. At least I did not take it personally.
I only posted because I felt that as a recent transplant I could voice that at least this malahini knew of Eddie a bit beyond the t-shirt slogan of Eddie Would Go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:30 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I don't believe HBH took any shots at dreaming or myself, I think it was a generalized statement towards some routine players. At least I did not take it personally.
I only posted because I felt that as a recent transplant I could voice that at least this malahini knew of Eddie a bit beyond the t-shirt slogan of Eddie Would Go.
Actually, he did direct his post #5 directly at me (he quoted my post in his post). When I countered his previous statement that none of the posters knew who Eddie was, he countered by questioning whether I knew anything beyond a cute slogan. And why does he even need to make these kinds of statements about anyone on here? Most of us are just trying to be helpful and give some reasonable, real world responses to questions.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Actually, he did direct his post #5 directly at me (he quoted my post in his post). When I countered his previous statement that none of the posters knew who Eddie was, he countered by questioning whether I knew anything beyond a cute slogan. And why does he even need to make these kinds of statements about anyone on here? Most of us are just trying to be helpful and give some reasonable, real world responses to questions.
DOH, sorry, I missed that. I guess you did suffer a shot or two and I didn't mean to speak for you.
I agree, the majority of posters on this forum seem well intentioned.
But there is definitely a cadre of Hatfield and McCoys out there. And while it is entertaining to sometimes grab popcorn and watch the fur fly, it does get tiresome as they predictiably bash each other to no end.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:32 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Please forgive me your so innocent on the snark comments! What you never challenge other people on here? You do it all the time and encourage the behavior. Yeah who am i to make those type of statements? Of course i forgot everyone else but my motives are pono?

See my original post had nothing to do with you, but you couldn't resist.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 11-20-2014 at 01:47 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

See my original post had nothing to do with you, but you couldn't resist.
Your original post (#2) said "these guys on here won't know what your (sic) talking about". You were making a blanket statement about everyone who posts here, so yes you were talking about me.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:47 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
"Most of us are just trying to be helpful and give some reasonable, real world responses to questions."

Sounds more like "They insult Hawaiian culture by saying Hawaiian way of surfing is old, out of date. We are the future of surfing" Lmao Or "where white people for centuries have been telling others and hawaiians that their culture isn't real, its bs."
In my opinion, it doesn't sound like she was saying that at all. The two are not even similar. Please explain how you got that out of what she wrote.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I agree. A thread about Eddie Aikau shouldnʻt contain all the off-topic sniping and stuff that's going on. Iʻd much rather discuss Eddie, Clyde Aikau, Nainoa Thompson, Mau Piailug, Abraham and Gordon Piʻianaiʻa, and the Hōkūleʻa. Or even the lawsuit that the Aikau family filed a couple of years ago over the movie rights to Eddie's life story.
Please Jonah k and Jung, both of you guys are older generation locals, who were taught Eddie Aikau philosophy and were exposed to the last bit of old hawaii like myself. You guys more so because you stayed on island. Its you guys that need to be speaking up and talk about the spirit of Eddie Aikau and other older generation legands and teaching it by talkstory. I have the most respect for both of you and your experience, knowledge of history which in my opinion far exceeds mine in alot of areas.

Pg 1/2

Old 11-20-2014, 11:51 AM

Pg 2/2

Please share your wisdom, don't leave it up to your younger brothers all the time.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
In my opinion, it doesn't sound like she was saying that at all. The two are not even similar. Please explain how you got that out of what she wrote.
Spirit of intent, all you have to do is read all the older posts that she wrote in response, objecting to what is being said. 90% of the time its about some ideal of the real world or snark comment vs local, hawaiian culture or ideals related.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM

Anyway ENOUGH already. I want to respect 838454 thread and im excitted to hear about this topic. It would be a change to the normal money based topics we talk about everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii