Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM

82 posts, read 460,123 times

Advertisements

I have not been able to find anything on the internet about this, so if any of you have this information I would appreciate it. How does one become a Hawaii resident ? I know a hawaii drivers' license is one way to show that -but do you need to reside for a certain period in hawaii before transferring an out of state license in for a hawaii one (and if so, what proof do you need to submit to show you have been living there)? What is the procedure ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:30 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Exclamation Ahhh...

Aloha Mangonut...thought you'ld been ousted...lolol, anyway, I believe six months is he required length of time for claiming Hawaii residency. As far as your DL goes, you can get your Hawaii license as soon as you land if you need to. Your current license stays valid until the date of expiration. It is hard to find this particular bit of info, I still haven't found it myself.
glad you're back.
Koale

Old 03-04-2010, 10:48 AM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
May be different lengths of time for different purposes. To get some kinds of health insurance (e.g., my HMSA), 6 months. You can get a HI drivers license right away (have to take a written test). Don't know what the requirements are for resident tuition at UH. For federal tax purposes, you become a resident when you move here with the intention of making it your permanent domicile (or similar language).

Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
For most purposes, simply having a local address and a Hawaii driver's license will suffice.
Some things, like qualifying for college tuition requirements have more stringent requirements.

To get your driver's license, all you need to do is show proper ID. Your old driver's license and a SS card will do. You tell them your new address, no proof required.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM

82 posts, read 478,819 times
Looks like no single action can determine residency. Looks like it's a combination of:
1. Primary "domicile" (place you live) in Hawaii for 12 months
2. Work in/file Hawaii State Taxes
3. Register to Vote in Hawaii

Here is a link to UH's official rules on gaining in state tuition (which follows the explicit definition of gaining Hawaii state residency): Questions and Answers about Residency, specifically:

6. I intend to live in Hawaii permanently and would like to establish residency. What should I do first?

If you are living in Hawaii and you wish to establish residency, you should begin by doing the following:
  1. File a Hawaii resident personal income tax form.
  2. Register to vote and vote in Hawaii.
  3. Keep written records showing the date you purchased a home or leased a residence.
  4. Keep written records showing the dates of your employment, the date you opened a bank account, etc.
  5. List spouse, children or other close relatives living in Hawaii.
  6. Gather any other documents that you feel may be used to substantiate your claim of Hawaii residency.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
One additional bit of info for anyone considering buying a home here... To qualify for the homeowner tax exemption (this is for Hawaii County):

You (must) own and occupy the property as your principal home for more than 200 calendar days of a calendar year.

The term “principal home” is defined as the place where an individual has a true, fixed, permanent home and principal establishment and to which place the individual has whenever absent, the intention of returning. It is the place in which a person has voluntarily fixed habitation, not for mere special, temporary or vacation purposes, but with the intention of making a permanent home.

The three elements that are necessary for real property to be considered a “principal home” are:

(A) The taxpayer has no other home exemption or principal home in any other jurisdiction;

(B) Intent of the owner to create or maintain a principal home within the County; and

(C) Owner’s actual physical occupancy of the principal home within the County.

Source: http://www.hawaiipropertytax.com/For...20Brochure.pdf

Real Property Tax Offices: Hawaii County |Oahu (City and County of Honolulu) | Maui County (http://www.mauipropertytax.com/Main/Home.aspx - broken link) | Kauai County (http://www.kauaipropertytax.com/Main/Home.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-05-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Aloha Mangonut...thought you'ld been ousted...lolol, anyway, I believe six months is he required length of time for claiming Hawaii residency. As far as your DL goes, you can get your Hawaii license as soon as you land if you need to. Your current license stays valid until the date of expiration. It is hard to find this particular bit of info, I still haven't found it myself.
glad you're back.
Koale
Hey Koale Thanks for the warm aloha welcome - appreciate it !
So are you saying that you do not actually have to 'trade in' one license for another (they will let you keep your out of state license and still get a new Hawaii license)? And the new license will expire on the same date that your out of state license would expire ?
So getting a license has nothing to do with 'claiming residency' - its just how long you have been living there ?
Interesting....
Yes, I agree with you - haven't been able to find Anything out there on the internet about this....

Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
No, you DO have to give up your old license when you get your new (HI) one. I don't know how they calculate the expiration, I got mine in 2008 (a few months after my birthday), and it expires on my birthday in 2015. I guess it must always expire on your birthday.

You can keep your out-of-state license until it expires, OR get a new HI one as soon as you get here. But you can't have both at the same time.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Sweetbeet is correct. You must relinquish your old drivers license and the new one will expire on your birthday. I got mine in June 2009 and it expires on my birthday in July 2017.
There is a way to get a Hawaii resident ID card, which looks similar to a drivers license, and keep your out of state drivers license. It requires more "documents" showing proof of residence though.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Sweetbeet is correct. You must relinquish your old drivers license and the new one will expire on your birthday. I got mine in June 2009 and it expires on my birthday in July 2017.
There is a way to get a Hawaii resident ID card, which looks similar to a drivers license, and keep your out of state drivers license. It requires more "documents" showing proof of residence though.
How do you 'show proof of residence' ??
After living somewhere a week ? a month ? 6 months ? a year? what classifies someone as a resident - if there is such a time frame ? How do you actually become one, and what 'proof' do you need ? Can you become a 'resident' as soon as you get a drivers' license ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: