Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:31 PM

8 posts, read 10,403 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I would like to hear your thoughts on reccomendations for me to visit and explore as potential landing spots for me to live, work and play. I apologize in advance for the longish post.

About me and what I am seeking:
I am in early 30’s, single, male from near Washington DC
I do not drink much if at all anymore and not into nightlife in terms of bars/clubs
I absolutely love the outdoors, hiking, ocean sports, walking along the ocean, bicycling are my favorites
I am a spiritual person who would like to find similar minded people near my age – that sense of community, friendship.
However I am not a hippie though some of my thoughts/beliefs could be similar to hippies. I am not looking for hippie towns however would be open to considering them if they are not too hippy (oxymoron?)

What qualities am I looking for?
(note I realize compromises might need to be made however this is my ideal list of qualities)
Community of friendly, laid-back and open-minded people
A positive and lively cultural scene = daytime options
Easy access to farmers markets
Variety of healthy eating options that are affordable and offer healthy vegan/vegetarian friendly eateries is desired. I do eat fish occasionally though – I know that is plentiful!
Walkable area near or easy walking to a beach would be awesome
Walkable town and/or at least bicycle friendly
In-town accessible grocery stores
A population of people near my age
Healthy job market both tourism and office based. Im flexible here as initially ill be part-timing or temping most likely until I get settled
Available rental options that offer reliable and fast (10mps) internet
I will be doing a lot of online work so that is essential.
Actual living situation can be (probably will be) modest – just need the essentials like clean, running water, electricity

I am flexible with this move as I know Hawaii is a different culture which I will respect and enjoy learning about. I love the ocean and it really is a part of who I am. Hence my love of Hawaii and the warm tropical weather.

Finally my plan right now is to visit Oahu for a couple weeks. Then after a friends wedding, travel back to Hawaii, possibly back to Oahu (depending on if it vibes with me) or to Maui. However, this could change based on your great advice!

Thank you so much for any help you provide!

PS: I will continue researching city-data forums. However, I would still greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 10:33 PM

If it helps, below is information about a city I do enjoy a lot:
Ive lived in small, medium and larger towns and cities and find both have their own appeal. If it helps, right now I am in Wellington, New Zealand and I love this about it: its incredibly walkable, smaller population (450k) however it never really seems crowded coming from Washington DC. It is on the ocean coast. Plentiful walkways to admire the ocean that I enjoy daily. Nice basic hikes and easy to get to more challenging hikes. Plentiful arts & culture scene (live music, art galleries) and open-minded/tolerant people who are relaxed and friendly. Variety of healthy eating options. Though I don’t really partake in it, it also has a healthy nightlife scene filled with people my age and younger. I do wish it was much warmer overall though and the water at 55F is not exactly tropical. I also would not mind a more peaceful atmosphere (ie less people – somewhere 50-100k possibly?). it could use more reliable and faster internet however this is a common "quality" of NZ!

Again, Thank you!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Kailua on Oahu is a lovely beachish sort of town, but it's not inexpensive. Diamond Head area/Kahala, perhaps? Black Point would be nice but it ain't cheap. Oahu is pretty full these days, though.

It's the living close enough to walk to the beach that limits your search the most, I'd expect. And being able to walk to the beach also triples or quadruples the prices.

Live music is easy to find but most of the art galleries are going to be primarily Hawaii tourist art since that's what sells mostly.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:42 PM

Thank you Hotzcatz!

I understand about the accesibility to beach increasing the price - i forgot about that wee detail...

When i visit Oahu, maybe ill get to visit those towns though they might be too expensive for me right now. When i come back in October, maybe ill try to visit the other islands too, i know Mauii is amazing as ive been there. Puna, Big Island sounds intriguing due to its farms/communities - however i wish that was on the drier side not wetter side. But naturally it is the rain that enables those farms to flourish and a tropical weather means rain :-). at least its warm rain.

per the art galleries - that makes sense about the hawaii tourist art. im sure its pretty. Its not so much that i enjoy art galleries its that i enjoy the atmosphere that tends to exist in places with art galleries - the culture, the sensibilities. (naturally not the high-priced galleries) - the locally sourced community etc.

ill continue researching and maybe someone else offers ideas. Either way, thank you for your help!

Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 PM

430 posts, read 639,893 times
Since you mentioned being single... You should know that Hawaii isn't great for dating and meeting people. On Oahu the nightlife is concentrated in Honolulu, so that's the "scene" you have to be into. Clubs rather than neighborhood bars. On the "neighbor islands" it seems you suffer from the low populations

Old 08-19-2015, 12:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
Since you mentioned being single... You should know that Hawaii isn't great for dating and meeting people. On Oahu the nightlife is concentrated in Honolulu, so that's the "scene" you have to be into. Clubs rather than neighborhood bars.
Huh??? I'll speak for Kailua, Hawaii Kai, and downtown, all places I've lived - definitely not a lack of single women and tons of options for bars other than nightclubs (and if you are Caucasian, you are like a kid in a candy store). Besides a ton of neighborhood bars on Oahu, a lot of single men and women frequent the restaurant bars such as Morton's for happy hour (and that list gets long fast - restaurant bar happy hours are hugely popular - and soon Sunday football ramps up)

Old 08-19-2015, 12:36 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansAway View Post
Hello all!

I would like to hear your thoughts on reccomendations for me to visit and explore as potential landing spots for me to live, work and play. I apologize in advance for the longish post.

About me and what I am seeking:
I am in early 30’s, single, male from near Washington DC
I do not drink much if at all anymore and not into nightlife in terms of bars/clubs
I absolutely love the outdoors, hiking, ocean sports, walking along the ocean, bicycling are my favorites
I am a spiritual person who would like to find similar minded people near my age – that sense of community, friendship.
However I am not a hippie though some of my thoughts/beliefs could be similar to hippies. I am not looking for hippie towns however would be open to considering them if they are not too hippy (oxymoron?)

What qualities am I looking for?
(note I realize compromises might need to be made however this is my ideal list of qualities)
Community of friendly, laid-back and open-minded people
A positive and lively cultural scene = daytime options
Easy access to farmers markets
Variety of healthy eating options that are affordable and offer healthy vegan/vegetarian friendly eateries is desired. I do eat fish occasionally though – I know that is plentiful!
Walkable area near or easy walking to a beach would be awesome
Walkable town and/or at least bicycle friendly
In-town accessible grocery stores
A population of people near my age
Healthy job market both tourism and office based. Im flexible here as initially ill be part-timing or temping most likely until I get settled
Available rental options that offer reliable and fast (10mps) internet
I will be doing a lot of online work so that is essential.
Actual living situation can be (probably will be) modest – just need the essentials like clean, running water, electricity

I am flexible with this move as I know Hawaii is a different culture which I will respect and enjoy learning about. I love the ocean and it really is a part of who I am. Hence my love of Hawaii and the warm tropical weather.

Finally my plan right now is to visit Oahu for a couple weeks. Then after a friends wedding, travel back to Hawaii, possibly back to Oahu (depending on if it vibes with me) or to Maui. However, this could change based on your great advice!

Thank you so much for any help you provide!

PS: I will continue researching city-data forums. However, I would still greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!

Are you looking to live here permanently or just visit?

Old 08-19-2015, 05:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
On Oahu the nightlife is concentrated in Honolulu, so that's the "scene" you have to be into. Clubs rather than neighborhood bars.
There are MANY other ways to meet single people. In fact, I'd suggest you stay out of the bars and try to meet someone who has similar interests as you. Unless all that you are interested in is throwing your money away at bars.

The OP said, "I do not drink much if at all anymore and not into nightlife in terms of bars/clubs. I absolutely love the outdoors, hiking, ocean sports, walking along the ocean, bicycling are my favorites." If they spend their free time doing those things that they enjoy, more then likely they will meet others with the same interests.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:54 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
I had no problem meeting Girls here. I have been married for 32 years now. Met my wife in A restaurant, Flamingo's. Sadly the restaurant's are no longer around! Really enjoyed their Hamburger Steak!

Old 08-20-2015, 03:23 AM

Wow. thank you everyone for responding. I appreciate everyone's input and thoughts on my questions.

Per PJ737's question, my goal is to get an understanding of Hawaii and discover which part would match me well and where i could become a part of the city/town/community. I thought about doing this move a couple years ago pretty seriously however the timing was not right. The timing is now good for me to make the move. I'm flexible with the move and am open to exploring multiple areas/islands. I've wanted to live in Hawaii pretty much ever since i visited in 2006. I would like to learn more about the Polynesian culture as well. Having lived on another pair of islands with Polynesian heritage (Maori.). In a few ways, NZ seems to be similar to Hawaii, albeit with much larger population. However, other than the few major cities, most live in small towns scattered throughout both islands. Some are barely "towns," particularly on South Island. Plus, living here has given me insight into what it is like to live on a very remote island(s) where nearly everything is imported.

I appreciate the information on the singles scene as well - makes sense what everyone has said.

Thank you again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii