Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:50 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,126 times

Advertisements

Yes, Dreaming, I agree. Houses and buildings are temporary and fleeting, like life. Puna is also very shacktacular that way. I was just glad to get here at all, wouldn't trade it for the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:10 PM

48,559 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Hawaii has it's own culture and history, and the architecture reflects that, for good or ill.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-16-2017, 03:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
There's some great architecture in Hawaii, too, although in the past thirty years it seems we've had more of the glass box skyscrapers on Oahu than the prettier buildings.

Generally, I've not noticed that comparing things negatively one to another has resulted in happy outcomes. I'd prefer the question to be: "Would this type of architecture in Funchal be good in Hawaii?" Then folks would consider if it could be a good and useful thing and perhaps build some of it. When the question is asked in the manner it was, then folks are busy defending the built environment in Hawaii instead of contemplating possible improvements.

Personally, I don't see that the architecture in Funchal is all that great or beautiful to be used as an example. It does have some of the bright colors you find in tropical areas, Hawaii does seem to use a lot of muted colors for our climate, but there's no great architectural style shown in the examples so I'm not quite sure what we'd be supposed to emulate.

Try searching "Vladimir Ossipoff" as an iconic Hawaii architect and check out Honolulu magazine's article on some Hawaii architecture: http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/June-2012/Honolulus-Best-Architecture That's only for Honolulu, there's some nice architecture on the other islands as well. If you want stunning, check out some of the Kohala resorts and the big fancy house subdivisions being built over there as well.

So, I'm thinking the question as posed by the OP may be a bit trolling and not a question out of pure curiosity.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:12 AM

85 posts, read 99,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
So, I'm thinking the question as posed by the OP may be a bit trolling and not a question out of pure curiosity.
Seeing their last "statement" in the OP, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,249,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palanakonu View Post
Seeing their last "statement" in the OP, I'm inclined to agree with you.
Nope, this isn't trolling. How can a poor country like Portugal produce that compared to the richest country in the world?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:10 PM

85 posts, read 99,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Nope, this isn't trolling. How can a poor country like Portugal produce that compared to the richest country in the world?
Produce what? Compared to what?
You think Portugal was always poor?
You think Hawai'i has always been part of the United States?
You believe that one place any anything to do with the other?

You might as well be asking why an orange is better than an apple... or vise-versa.

No sir, intentional or not, this is indeed trolling.
Posting random pictures of a place you (as it were) that have never been and then the only statements you make are to belittle a completely different place and ask why it isn't "as charming"?

Old 04-17-2017, 02:01 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
Thank you, Palanakonu, for stating what I was thinking. This is one of those stupid, pointless threads that are best forgotten!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Portugal used to have a lot of wealth and riches, from exploiting and pillaging around the world...i.e. brazil, macau, goa, malacca, nagasaki, east timor, mozambique, cape verde, sao tome, angola, on and on...

Just because it doesn't appear to have a lot of recent wealth in 2017...and just because Hawaii was an island in the middle of the pacific that the U.S. took over and occupied...

And regardless of that entire poor country/wealthy country in 2017 that has nothing to do with 1000s of years of architectural history in Europe.....regardless of all that...who can you say that one particular architecture is 'bad' and by what measure? A European measurement?

Old 04-21-2017, 12:36 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,761,648 times
What kind of nincompoop looks for architecture in the tropics???

Old 04-25-2017, 08:17 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
Ancient Hawaiian Architecture:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a1946d53ab.jpg

Meant with no dis-respect. It was functional, inexpensive, reproducible by all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: