Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM

66 posts, read 354,125 times

Advertisements

I have major island fever. I was going to visit family last April but then my husband had severe medical problems. We were going to move off the island last July but are still here dealing with his medical problems. I have been here YEARS past my original exit plan. I would like to fly away for a bit but I'd have to fly all of my kids too which would cost me a small fortune. I've only been out of Hawaii 4x in seven years!!!

I'm tired of driving around and around the island. I'm tired of the beach, my brain is completely fried after being here for almost 7 years!!! There is no hope of leaving until at least this coming July . What I want to know is how people cope with literally being marooned here.

You can flame me all you want but I'm so fried I won't even notice it. Honest suggestions or plain out pity would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 PM

210 posts, read 972,265 times
I dont know what to say-I've been here only a month, and i am already fried, planning to get out as soon as I can, afraid to get stuck here
I dont know what to tell you-hang in there!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,121 times
Any chance you could manage a little excursion to another island? At least it would be a bit different (Kauai and the BI are both very different from Oahu, IMO). If you could get up to Koke'e State Park, here on Kauai, it is much cooler there. You could just fly over for a day (or take the ferry to Maui, you would have your car and not have to rent one), that way there would be no cost for a place to stay. (I'm flying to Oahu on Friday, using frequent flyer miles, it's costing me $5 plus the cost of the shuttle. There are ways to get FF miles other than flying; try club.live.com if you have the time to sit and play dumb computer games, you can earn points that can be converted into miles on Hawaiian.)

I'm not sure what it is about your place of living that has you going nuts; if I knew more (is it the heat? the traffic? the city? the country? prices? stuff to do? the people?) I might have better suggestions.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,021 times
I agree with Sweet. I get island fever here on Kauai, and find that a weekend trip to Honolulu clears the blues away. Just experiencing all the city's energy wears me out...

Sorry for your feelings but it will all work out!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:36 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,084 times
How about if you throw a party with a "somewhere else" theme? Either pick a place (Italy, Texas, whatever) or make it Anywhere But Here. Invite your friends, tell them:

- No slippers, no Hawaiian prints, no leis
- Keep your shoes on in the house
- No hugging at the door
- Bring potluck of any dish to fit the theme
- Play music to fit the theme
- Decorate the house appropriately
- No pidgin allowed, make up an accent to fit

Anyone who slips up has to put 25 cents into a jar, or sing a song that isn't Hawaiian, or something else fun.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Any chance you could manage a little excursion to another island? At least it would be a bit different (Kauai and the BI are both very different from Oahu, IMO). If you could get up to Koke'e State Park, here on Kauai, it is much cooler there. You could just fly over for a day (or take the ferry to Maui, you would have your car and not have to rent one), that way there would be no cost for a place to stay. (I'm flying to Oahu on Friday, using frequent flyer miles, it's costing me $5 plus the cost of the shuttle. There are ways to get FF miles other than flying; try club.live.com if you have the time to sit and play dumb computer games, you can earn points that can be converted into miles on Hawaiian.)

I'm not sure what it is about your place of living that has you going nuts; if I knew more (is it the heat? the traffic? the city? the country? prices? stuff to do? the people?) I might have better suggestions.
Last time I went to the Big Island I was sexually assualted (groped) by an Ice Head in a park in Hilo while holding my baby.

When we went camping by Waimea Canyon on Kauai a group of younger adults and teens set up a *night club* they had trucks coming and going all night. We heard more cuss words yelled than a Snoop Dog song. They had flashing lights set up and *Hillary Duff's, The Beat of my Heart* song playing full blast over and over. There was no way of sleeping so we went and checked in at the Marriott. FYI-We called the police, they said it was too far to drive out there there.

Maui was beautiful but we paid ALOT of money to stay in a dingy roach motel. Then I got motion sickness the entire way on the *Road to Hana.*

So no, going to another island will not cheer me up. But thanks for the suggestion .

Yes, I did have some good experiences on the outer islands but not enough to want to go back. It's pretty much more of the same.

I guess the main thing that's driving me crazy is lack of choices and the feeling of being stuck, marooned and shipwrecked.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
How about if you throw a party with a "somewhere else" theme? Either pick a place (Italy, Texas, whatever) or make it Anywhere But Here. Invite your friends, tell them:

- No slippers, no Hawaiian prints, no leis
- Keep your shoes on in the house
- No hugging at the door
- Bring potluck of any dish to fit the theme
- Play music to fit the theme
- Decorate the house appropriately
- No pidgin allowed, make up an accent to fit

Anyone who slips up has to put 25 cents into a jar, or sing a song that isn't Hawaiian, or something else fun.
This is a great idea! I could use all the money in the jar to put towards my airfare outta here .

Old 10-24-2008, 01:27 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,698 times
it seems to me it's just the wrong place for you. what made you move to O'ahu in the first place? i don't try to understand because island fever makes no sense to me and has never affected me. Also, the other islands seem based off of some bad expiriences, and you seem to be dwelling on them. No, no one is expected to relive or return to places where bad things happened to them, but you have to understand that's not at all how it is at other times. All the time i've spent at the places you've mentioned have been peaceful, serene and lovely. I have had some bad expirienced (ironically most on O'ahu) but it's not going stop me from returning for other, different, and probably amazing things.

The reason island fever does not make sense to me is because Hawai'i has everything. You can literally go see almost every climate. You can go to a desert, play in snow, go to the mountains, to a canyon, and that is on top of the things that most people can't look past, like beaches and sunshine.

I always explain to people that when i lived in Texas, how often did i leave the 50 miles surrounding my work/home area? Not offen. I don't know what good knowing you can drive to Arizona does you if you...don't actually ever do it. I love the fact that i can get to all these different climates (i'm on the big island) in a day trip and have a completely new expirience.

Basically there is so much packed into each of these tiny islands that you can live here and never expirience all the things to do, if want it that way.

I'm not saying you're wrong for feeling that way, it must be awful to feel trapped, and noteablely home sick, but in the meantime since you cant leave, venture out and find things that don't center around beaches and sunshine-your average hawaiian stereotype, and make an effort to do the mix-grab-bag of treats that the islands have to offer, while you are here and make the best of it.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:59 PM

67 posts, read 269,789 times
It just sounds like there are alot of people that shouldnt move or live on these islands.....i have been a few times and are about to move to the big island and i would never move there if i didnt like the beach, sun, mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, rain, beautiful landscape, slower living, etc....and to move there without money or a good enough job to sustain a comfortable life style should stay on the mainland period.....

Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
I hear ya!!!!! Had "rock fever" really bad once. Tired of driving around the same roads, same Island, looking at the same sunset, the same old crater, same old sun rising over it at the same old time every same old morning. Paddling off the same old beach every morning chasing the same old whales or dolhins. Got really sick of it........Soooooooooooooo, flew to Seattle, met my younger brother, we rent a car to drive, that's right, drive, all the way to Spokane. After an hour or so, of looking at the same old highway, and the seemingly same old 18 wheeler, and seeing the same old pasty colored people seemingly time and time again, I was friggin cured of "rock fever". Only drawback, I had to drive all the way back to Seattle. But when that big old Hawaiian L1011 made the final turn into HNL, I had this sense of euphoria, a feeling, that if I could bottle and sell, would make me a millionare overnight. The Islands, either you get it or you don't, been here over thirty years, I'm just starting to "get" it, and I don't mean "rock fever", I'm cured of that one. If you really want rock fever, check out Meck Atoll, almost took on a job down there years back, you can literally walk across it in about an hour, now thats a "Rock"......

Aloha, and don't forget, "No matter where you go, there you are", okolemaluna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii