Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 923 times

Advertisements

Okay so this is my first time posting on here...hopefully I can solicit some sound advice! I've been reading through quite a few threads on the topic of moving from the mainland to Hawaii, but I haven't seen anything specific to the social work field. I did an Indeed job search and there definitely seem to be quite a few job listings for social workers. I guess what I'm concerned about is how seriously companies take applications from mainlanders. Do they expect you to fly in for an interview or are they open to Skype? I know here in Austin, a lot of people who are looking to relocate do Skye interviews, but since Hawaii is so far and such a commitment, it may be different. I have read that it's best to assume moving into a long-term rental/Airbnb for a month before securing a place due to landlords not taking a tenant seriously until they are physically on the island. That makes sense to me.
I currently work as a medical social worker for the local county indigent healthcare system. I work with a lot of clients who are homeless, have substance abuse issues, and various chronic medical problems. I am also waiting to sit for my clinical exam, which will license me as a therapist/counselor. My experience and background have given me good opportunities in Austin, but I am not sure if that will translate to Hawaii. Is there a real need for good social workers there or is it competitive? The University of Hawaii does have a social work program so I imagine every semester the graduates are also looking for employment.

Side note: I am married and my husband is a photographer/videographer and CPA. Just wanted to mention that because people might think a single social worker will really struggle with the cost of living, but we are dual income no kids.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 12:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcgarci2 View Post
I guess what I'm concerned about is how seriously companies take applications from mainlanders. Do they expect you to fly in for an interview or are they open to Skype?

Depends on the company, how specialized you are, and how desperate they are.

Extremely unlikely, though not impossible, they'd hire you without meeting you in person.

Write a very compelling cover letter to get attention - and have a specific reason for moving to Hawaii other than you've always dreamed of it.....

Old 07-08-2019, 01:56 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,562,364 times
there's a need for social workers, high turn over field, high stress, mediocre income

i suspect your husband will do better, especially if he has big firm experience. there's a real need for qualified cpas, on oahu at least. photographer income is hobby income. not very relevant. Is he willing to work cpa firm hours as management?

If I had to SWAG your salaries, you'd likely be looking at working for the state/county and make 50k, he'd probably do $80k. So as far as living standards, you guys would do ok, not upper class, but not exactly in poverty either. If you decide to have kids, your budget is going to be tighter, especially if you attempt to pay $15k+/year for private school.

---------------

there's a website dedicated to moving to hawaii from the mainland. they recommend expecting not to have a good job for 6 months so plan for that. the state,who is your most likely employer, hiring process can be very slow, 6 months before callback. With a state job, you will most likely be at the bottom of the pay scale since the job is union and years of service determines in-grade pay. Your husband will likely be able to line up interviews from cpa firms once he gets here. but starting may not be immediate since they tend to hire somewhat seasonally, so you may be waiting months there for him to start up.

https://www.aimforawesome.com/

Last edited by rya96797; 07-08-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 02:02 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Aloha LCGarci2,
Welcome to the forum!

Dual income, no kids, no pets mentioned, it should work as far as just moving to Hawaii goes. No mention of debt load.

Check Hawaii's requirements for social workers, frequently the licensing will be specific to Hawaii and not all mainland licenses will relocate to Hawaii. I don't know that therapist licenses don't, but I don't know that they do, either. A CPA is usually someone who can find work, so that's hopeful. Between two of you, it should work.

Well, sit for your clinical exam, that would be first, IMHO. Then schedule a long vacation in Hawaii and look around for employers while here. You may want to check out two or three of the islands. Oahu is the most populated and has the most jobs, but it also has lots of competition for jobs, housing, parking spots, etc. Maui is a higher cost of living area as well, but also has enough population to support jobs and such. The Island of Hawaii (aka the "Big Island") has two sides, Kona & Hilo, either one would probably have need for both therapists and CPAs and a lower cost of living as well.

If you are serious about moving, you could pack up your necessary things before you leave on vacation and send for your stuff after you find employment and living quarters here. Call your employers and ask for a sabbatical or tell them you won't be back. Or if you don't find anything, go back after vacation and unpack the boxes. All that saves is plane fare back home and to Hawaii again, though.

Or, take a sabbatical, move to Hawaii and take whatever jobs are available until you find one in your field. Unemployment is low right now so there's work available. Try temp jobs in your field, a lot of times employers will hire a temp as a tryout for a full time employee. Once you're on island with a local address and local phone number, employers are much more likely to hire you. If it all falls through, save enough $$$ to at least get back to where you were. Which is why the sabbatical instead of quitting, if possible.

It's pretty difficult to find higher level employment without physically being in the islands. The best jobs usually go to folks already living here since the employers know those folks are less likely to leave after they've been trained. It takes a lot to integrate a new person into a team and having to get a new employee every six months to a year after the old one moves back to the mainland is something employers want to avoid whenever possible. Not only wastes training time, but it's hard on the team, too.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Aloha LCGarci2,

It's pretty difficult to find higher level employment without physically being in the islands. The best jobs usually go to folks already living here since the employers know those folks are less likely to leave after they've been trained. It takes a lot to integrate a new person into a team and having to get a new employee every six months to a year after the old one moves back to the mainland is something employers want to avoid whenever possible. Not only wastes training time, but it's hard on the team, too.
I'm involved in interviewing/hiring, and i try to avoid dealing with mainland transplants that haven't been on the islands for a few years. It simply isn't worth the trouble. Much greater chance of flaking on interviews/jobs. And much greater chance of leaving after a short period of time because things "don't work out". Unless they're a superstar candidate or my company is absolutely desperate, it's better to avoid these candidates, sorry. Like you mentioned, aside from salary, there is a huge cost associated with integrating people into a team and training someone new every year is a waste of resources and a sign of dysfunction in the department. I'd rather leave the position vacant and pay the rest of the team overtime than deal with a position that's a revolving door.

Honestly the "local address" thing might help some, but isn't that great either. It's fairly easy to tell by the resume/application how long someone's actually been on the island. And I dont find someone having a hawaii mailbox service/808 area code tracphone particularly impressive. I'd view someone that's honest about their intentions and status higher than someone playing dumb games.

On a sidenote: I've found the quality of local neighbor island candidates to be the same/similar quality to ones actually living on oahu without the same transient issues as mainland candidates. Not sure the reason for the difference. It could be that they're already accustomed to the local lifestyle and have a relatively close support network that's an interisland flight away, much cheaper than family on the mainland. The costs below is a bit inflated, you can do mainland travel for cheaper, but it does give you an idea of what you're looking at.

Quote:
If you have family on the mainland it’s going to impact the high cost of living in Hawaii
At first, you will be the coolest person in the family because many of your family members will want to visit you especially if they can stay at your place and save money on hotels. You will be the family superstar, living the dream! It’s going to cost you a little bit because you’ll want to take time off of work to spend time with your visitors but that’s not the big hit…

What’s going to cost you dearly is when you have to visit family on the mainland. And unless you never want to see your family again, you’ll want to go there for the holiday or big family events like weddings, baptisms, and funerals. Each of those are going to cost you. For 2017, roundtrip airfare is about $800 (depending of course on the destination) and a car is going to cost you about $70/day. Assuming you will stay with family and avoid hotel costs, you’re looking at minimum $1,000 and probably more like $1,500 if you count miscellaneous spending. And because of Hawaii’s time zone difference, you have to add 2 days for travel time alone. So if you want to spend 5 days with family, you have to be away for 7 days. Add in the cost of lost wages and you’re looking at $2,000-$3,000 per trip. And this assumes it’s just you by yourself. Married with kids? You’re looking at $5,000 just to touch your feet on the ground and now you’ve got food costs you’re talking about an easy $7,000. Per trip.

Last edited by rya96797; 07-08-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 05:52 PM

163 posts, read 269,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcgarci2 View Post
Okay so this is my first time posting on here...hopefully I can solicit some sound advice! I've been reading through quite a few threads on the topic of moving from the mainland to Hawaii, but I haven't seen anything specific to the social work field. I did an Indeed job search and there definitely seem to be quite a few job listings for social workers. I guess what I'm concerned about is how seriously companies take applications from mainlanders. Do they expect you to fly in for an interview or are they open to Skype? I know here in Austin, a lot of people who are looking to relocate do Skye interviews, but since Hawaii is so far and such a commitment, it may be different. I have read that it's best to assume moving into a long-term rental/Airbnb for a month before securing a place due to landlords not taking a tenant seriously until they are physically on the island. That makes sense to me.
I currently work as a medical social worker for the local county indigent healthcare system. I work with a lot of clients who are homeless, have substance abuse issues, and various chronic medical problems. I am also waiting to sit for my clinical exam, which will license me as a therapist/counselor. My experience and background have given me good opportunities in Austin, but I am not sure if that will translate to Hawaii. Is there a real need for good social workers there or is it competitive? The University of Hawaii does have a social work program so I imagine every semester the graduates are also looking for employment.

Side note: I am married and my husband is a photographer/videographer and CPA. Just wanted to mention that because people might think a single social worker will really struggle with the cost of living, but we are dual income no kids.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Outside of the federal government, I can't think of any organization in Hawaii that will hire you after a phone/Skype interview. Most social work jobs are on Oahu since that's the highest population and where the military bases are.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:14 PM

80 posts, read 88,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
I'm involved in interviewing/hiring, and i try to avoid dealing with mainland transplants that haven't been on the islands for a few years.
I often hear of transplants lasting a few years, but what have you noticed about those transplants you've hired after they've been around a few years. Do they stick around for a good while? Or do they also tend to leave eventually as well?

Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
I often hear of transplants lasting a few years, but what have you noticed about those transplants you've hired after they've been around a few years. Do they stick around for a good while? Or do they also tend to leave eventually as well?
The ones that make it past 2 years or so have pretty decent chance to stay, long term. Probably once they hit 5 years, they're lifers. Unless there's compelling reasons to leave, such as military changing duty station, need to take care of parents in the mainland, bf/gf/wife/husband to be wants to live in lower 48, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: