Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,077 times

Advertisements

So I'm 21 living in Seattle, and decided to go back to school... and enroll in a community college in Hawaii. The plan is to transfer to UH after getting an AA to study oceanography... but I'm having a hard time choosing which CC to go to, there are 7 in the UH system, and on different islands.

Considering Maui, Windward, Kauai, maybe the Big Island.

I'm hoping to move somewhere with lots of people my age, a chill but not dead night scene, I would prefer to live in a house with roommates (more rural than say... Honolulu)... and be somewhere with easy access to a beach with some waves so I can surf(feels redundant to write that). And of course, which school would have the best prerequisites for the degree I want, if anyone can give input on that.

Any help or info anyone has is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM

22 posts, read 72,940 times
KCC is by far the best community college on Oahu. It has the nicest cleanest campus and is in the nice part of the island. As far as getting your AA and moving on to UH Manoa. That is not nesesary. All you need is 24 credits at a community college and a 2.0 GPA to transfer into UH. I don't think the oceanography program is very competitive so you may be able to go straight into the program. I went the community college route out of highschool and then transfered to UH Manoa is very easy. Classes at community college in Hawaii are easier then highschool. You also mentioned the beach. KCC is right next to the beach (diamond head). My friend goes surfing there almost every day. Everyone at community college will most likely be around your age. Lots of people who didn't apply themselves in highschool and some adults who never had the opportunity to go to college. Hopefully I have answered all of your questions. Where are you moving from?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 PM

Right now I live in downtown Seattle. The reason i was planning on going to a CC first was because I never took the SATs, and I graduated in 2005... I figured the transition would be easier that way, and probably cheaper if I decide to become a resident.

And thanks, that helps a lot I'm looking into it now.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:30 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erly View Post
Right now I live in downtown Seattle. The reason i was planning on going to a CC first was because I never took the SATs, and I graduated in 2005... I figured the transition would be easier that way, and probably cheaper if I decide to become a resident.

And thanks, that helps a lot I'm looking into it now.
Good luck, are you sure you can handle all that sunshine? I live in Seattle (area) too, lived in Oahu for 6 years, and let me tell you, I am still a warm weather person, can't get used to no SUN!!!! I do miss the weather there. Especially since this year is still colder than normal.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 PM

Oh yeah, definitely looking forward to weather. I lived in Huntington Beach California for a few months... wasn't for me, but I still miss the warmth; even though there wasn't really weather there, just sunshine and smog...

Especially excited about not having to surf with a wetsuit! I hate paddling in a 5/4, let alone trying to get out of it when I'm done... :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii