Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 PM

20 posts, read 51,301 times

Advertisements

My friend is studying to get a EMT certification. He's says that one of the things he likes about it is that there are many opportunities to constantly be relocating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,193 times
Is there anyone out there who has made the move from Canada to HI? I am an ALS Paramedic and have worked for the city of Calgary for just under 5 years. I am interested in moving to Oahu to work but don't know what to expect with work visa's ect. Thanks for any info guys.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,421 times
I currently live in NY, 911 EMT-B with 4 years experience for a level one trauma center. Manhatten, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens are my response areas. Im interested in Moving to Hawaii and looking for a career to help me move.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,687 times
It seems no one has posted in this thread for quite some time now but i figured i'd give it a shot.
I am currently an EMT-B working for the Fire Dept. of New York City and undergoing my Paramedic training. Ive been an EMT in the 911 system for about 2 years now. I dont see myself living in NYC for another 23 years awaiting a retirement pension from the city so I'm considering moving out to the islands in hopes of a better quality of life. I love EMS and want to continue my career out there. I've been to Oahu before 3 years ago and love it there. I feel I could spend my life living there.
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some insight on what I would have to do in order to get licensed on the islands. If i become Nationally certified is that sufficient or would i have to start from the bottom again if I came there as a medic? If I am a NYS certified medic do I have to do EMT-B training all over again? Also wondering is it difficult to get in with the city of Honolulu ? Thanks for any advice you can offer me

Old 06-14-2014, 01:04 AM

74 posts, read 334,119 times
Use the "search" function on the bar at the top of each CD-Forum page for threads regarding EMTs/paramedics. There's quite a bit in previous threads about getting HI state licensure. If you meet Board of Medical Examiner requirements, you will not need to go through training again, as Nat'l Registry is the base level for licensure here. You may need to put in some hours towards equivalency in field time, however, as HI requires more internship hours for both EMTs and paramedics than many states.

If you get hired, obviously you will lack seniority, so yes, you will be at the bottom. If you get State of HI licensure (and it's not anywhere near as hard to get as it was years ago), you qualify to apply for City & County of Honolulu EMS. Getting hired is not the difficult part, as there is a significant shortage of paramedics for Oahu EMS. It's being able to meet the standards of performance, which is for many out-of-state medics dauntingly high. If you are a newly certified EMT-P, I would advise a ride-along to get an idea of what is expected of you as a MICT, as they are called here. Or another option would be to get a job as an EMT and get your foot in the door, so to speak. Then you can see for yourself if you're up to the challenge, and if so, you can apply for the promotion.

Hope this helps. You may DM me if you have any more specific questions. Good luck in your paramedic training and future career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii