Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 PM

713 posts, read 1,957,789 times

Advertisements

Today I went to Sandy Beach (Oahu) which is know for its large surf.

I went to go into the water and from a speaker I hear: "You do not have the right equipment. Yeah YOU who is looking"

I was not sure what the lifeguard was talking about. I had board shorts on and they were secure. I had a cheap boogy board so I thought maybe that was it. But still I saw others riding the waves with crappy boards.

So I went back and relaxed on the beach and I noticed that all WHITE people were told (by the life guards) not to go into the water.

Now the lifeguards are probably thinking tourists are inexpierenced, but they ONLY base it off skin color. Meanwhile three year olds are out there swimming in the massive waves.

I was shocked at what I was seeing. The lifeguards never came down and explained to me why I had the wrong equipment, but they were quick to come down and make sure no white people entered the water.

Later, a lifeguard went by were my friends and I were sitting and one of my friends asked: "How do you choose who goes into the water?" The lifeguards bold response: "We sterotype."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Today I went to Sandy Beach (Oahu) which is know for its large surf.

I went to go into the water and from a speaker I hear: "You do not have the right equipment. Yeah YOU who is looking"

I was not sure what the lifeguard was talking about. I had board shorts on and they were secure. I had a cheap boogy board so I thought maybe that was it. But still I saw others riding the waves with crappy boards.

So I went back and relaxed on the beach and I noticed that all WHITE people were told (by the life guards) not to go into the water.

Now the lifeguards are probably thinking tourists are inexpierenced, but they ONLY base it off skin color. Meanwhile three year olds are out there swimming in the massive waves.

I was shocked at what I was seeing. The lifeguards never came down and explained to me why I had the wrong equipment, but they were quick to come down and make sure no white people entered the water.

Later, a lifeguard went by were my friends and I were sitting and one of my friends asked: "How do you choose who goes into the water?" The lifeguards bold response: "We sterotype."
Did you have fins? did you have a leash?

Sandy beach is not an ideal beach to visit. I dont know why they promote it.

The wave is shorepound and pitches with no mercy. I think there is a seriously high # of neck injuries from this beach. I noticed over on the left, there was a surfing area, but it was pretty crowded the times Ive been.

Pick another beach just up the highway...Makapuu, and I think, ultimately, you will have more fun.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:42 AM

201 posts, read 823,226 times
Sandy Beach is a neck breaker. If you show up with a cheap boogie board, you're obviously not prepared to board there and you'd probably be a statistic. You'd stick out like a sore thumb and not because you're a haole.

I am white and spent plenty time at Sandy Beach. No one ever chased me away. I was a shore watcher but my husband and son went in without any problem.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:15 PM

62 posts, read 332,599 times
We live near Sandys and go there often. We are a haole family and have never had any problems. It can be dangerous out there for people who are unfamiliar with the conditions. I hear ambulances racing down there all the time.

Further past Sandys if you continue on through Waimanalo is Bellows on the Air Force base. It is only open to the public on weekends, but I find it to be less crowded and the water calmer. This is where I take my daughter to swim and body surf. Only issue there is sometimes there are jellyfish about a week after the full moom. It's a nice family beach though.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:55 PM

10 posts, read 60,915 times
I'm sorry you had that experience. Regardless of Sandy Beaches' dangers, valid as they are, I'm not going to post a suggestion of another beach and dismiss the intent of your post.

What you experienced is unacceptable, I only wish you'd had a videotape of the lifeguard's racist remark. The lifeguard could have got off his ***, swam to you as not to humiliate you. He could have met you on the beach when you got out of the water to explain.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
I don't think it was racist. It wasn't because Souperstar was white, it was because he was "green". Lifeguards are very adept at reading the beach crowd, and can spot the potential drowners pretty well. They don't always get it right, but it's their call. Also lifeguards aren't supposed to "swim out and chat" with anybody. Their job is to man the tower, watching for trouble.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 PM

713 posts, read 1,957,789 times
There was two life guards on duty. There was one lifeguard on the beach calling out all white people. When both life guards were up in the tower that is when they called me out on the speaker.

It just stunned me. I am 6-2, 185lbs, weight train, play volleyball and basketball, teach physical education and I was not allowed to go into the water. Yet, the 3 and 4 year olds did not have a problem with the waves.

Now if the lifeguards came down and explained to me why I was not allowed in the water it may have been different story. But the only explanation I heard was: "Well we steriotype."

Old 06-17-2008, 01:15 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
There was two life guards on duty. There was one lifeguard on the beach calling out all white people. When both life guards were up in the tower that is when they called me out on the speaker.

It just stunned me. I am 6-2, 185lbs, weight train, play volleyball and basketball, teach physical education and I was not allowed to go into the water. Yet, the 3 and 4 year olds did not have a problem with the waves.

Now if the lifeguards came down and explained to me why I was not allowed in the water it may have been different story. But the only explanation I heard was: "Well we steriotype."
were you outside or close to shore?

I see little kids floating out there as well...when I'm in hawaii, but the point is that if your new to the beach, and the conditions are on, they may be looking out for your best interest. No matter what kind of shape your in, the spinal cord is pretty delicate, especially at the neck.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:26 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Mods????

Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Try being a lifeguard over here for a while, I think you'ld then see it from a different perspective. And Sandy is well known for it's nasty shorebreak, those "kids" you see out there were more than likely pretty much born and raised in the area, know the conditions and the break. Just as an aside, few years back I'm heading out to paddle off Kam 1 here in Kihei, south swell is coming up, plenty of local kids out in the water having a great time. An elderly gentlemen, with a walker, is making his way down the beach, obviously with the intention of getting into the ocean. Lifeguard comes walking down to deter the guy from getting into the water, the gentlemans response, "I paid a lot of money to get here, and I'm going for a swim!" Being a lifeguard in Hawaii isn't quite what it's made out to be, especially when the south swell, or any swell for that matter, is starting to kick in...

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: