Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,625 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just recently got married and while on our honeymoon we decided it would be amazing to move to Hawaii. We currently live in Florida. We are going to save up some money we were thinking about $6,500 for the total move (plus $1,000 to come back on) We are think about living near Honolulu. We'd like to stay for about a year. We dont mind paying $1200 for a small apartment. My main concern is our daughter she will be about 1 when we make the move. Any advice on bringing such a young child to Hawaii. Do you think were just dreaming......

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 AM

849 posts, read 3,529,013 times
Talking go for it

and just a suggestion? book your ticket as an open return. you have up to a year to use it so if it doesn't work out well, and no reason it shouldn't, you have your tickets.
When my kid was 1, 1971, I took her to Spain just for a vacation. Kids are more resilient than we've been giving them credit for the past 20 or so years. Today's parents are overly protective in some areas. What if you were a military family? You'd have to do the move and the kid would cope. Better at this age than in school although my daughter just did it with 4 of them ranging in age from 14 mos to 14 years. Realize that the family is the important thing no matter where you are. It's not the house or the location that makes a family it's the people in it.
Hawaii IS the US and has all the things you're used to and some you're not. But they've stopped throwing their children into the volcano. LOL (sarcasm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones08 View Post
Hi, I just recently got married and while on our honeymoon we decided it would be amazing to move to Hawaii. We currently live in Florida. We are going to save up some money we were thinking about $6,500 for the total move (plus $1,000 to come back on) We are think about living near Honolulu. We'd like to stay for about a year. We dont mind paying $1200 for a small apartment. My main concern is our daughter she will be about 1 when we make the move. Any advice on bringing such a young child to Hawaii. Do you think were just dreaming......

Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM

180 posts, read 566,229 times
I agree that it's better at this age. My family moved several times until I was 16, and the result was going through all my years of public schooling without any close friends. Speaking from experience, once the kids are in school, make an effort to stay put! I found out I missed out on a lot growing up ... If your daughter is 1 I'd be more concerned with making absolutely certain there's a pediatrician lined up...

Old 03-07-2008, 12:37 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
I was a nanny in Honolulu for a while when in school at the University--I can't imagine a better place to be with a baby/young child.

Three of my favorite things: 1) The walk around Diamond Head with plenty of stops at the parks and a coffee shop along the way... 2)Kindermusik class... 3)Yearly passes to the Aquarium and Zoo.

No winter weather to worry about....if you want a simple day out, head to the beach and let the little one play in the sand.....

Old 03-08-2008, 11:34 PM

6 posts, read 29,343 times
Hawaii is a nice place to raise a family. It's very calm and peaceful. I'm in the military so that does makes a different living in Hawaii. Very EXPENSE, but worth the calmness and sense of fresh breezy air and 80 degrees weather all yr round. Very little crime, school system does sucks, slower than the mainland indeed, private school would be the best. Best beaches and cheap local food. If you love island style, and laid back lifestyle this is the place for you... Gas is HIGH $3.55 gal and going up by the days.

Hope this was helpful.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:25 PM

65 posts, read 289,229 times
Ditto...the cost of living is very high, and you need to thoroughly investigate the private school choices. Be careful about shipp[ing furniture. The humidity ccan cause the drawers to swell and will become very difficult to open. Do you need to earn a living?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:28 PM

11 posts, read 58,104 times
Icmc, What is the current price of diesel in hawaii now days?
Its 3.70 here in Idaho.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 PM

68 posts, read 245,284 times
Aloha! Yeah I think you should try the move. I agree with Jamesia that it would be better to do it now rather than after your child is in school. Honolulu would probably be your best choice. More jobs (job market is tight like everywhere else), good public transportation until you can get a car. I would probably rent a place at the beginning and look around in your free time for areas you might like to buy a house in. And if for some reason the move doesnt work out you can go back home when your lease runs out instead of having to sell a house before coming back. Good luck! Malama pono

Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
kawika52: Please note the dates (and year) of the posts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: