Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 AM

161 posts, read 390,485 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm considering moving to either Oahu or Kauai and am wondering how the vog is on both islands lately.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Ask Pele, she's the only one who would know what the vog is gonna do on any specific day. Oahu is pretty far away from the source and Kauai even further so they would average less days of vog. But it is all at Pele's whim how much vog there will be and depending on which way the wind blows as well as how hard, the vog can be anywhere. You could try checking the Volcano National Park website for volcanic updates.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,021 times
We had one voggy day about two weeks ago on Kauai, but it wasn't really bad at all and if you are unfamiliar with vog, you would not have thought twice about it. It just seemed like a hazy/cloudy day. Still, as far as vog goes, it wasn't bad by any means. We frequent one or two foggy days every few months. It was really bad this time last year, but hasn't been that bad since. I don't think you should even consider vog a factor unless you are going to BI.,

Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Here is a link that may help you. It shows the direction of the VOG.

NPS: Nature & Science» Air Resources Division - Hawai`i Volcanoes NP Current Sulfur Dioxide Conditions

Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,750 times
We have had almost nothing on Maui (in between BI and Oahu/Kauai) this year. Last year lots more, but only a few days at a time, a couple of months. I don't think this is much of an issue except for the BI and people with extreme sensitivity to air pollution. Any mainlander who's comfortable in any city/urban area should be just fine, IMHO.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM

161 posts, read 390,485 times
Hi guys,

Thanks so much! I am very sensitive to vog. I lived on the BI for a few months last year and had to move away from it because it made me very ill. I LOVE HI but can't do vog, which is why I'm considering Oahu or Kauai, to be the furthest away from Madame Pele.

It's good to hear that is hasn't been that much of a problem on Oahu or Kauai. That is very encouraging!

Mahalo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: