Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 9,343 times

Advertisements

Would like to know the best place to find a place to live? I know this is hard but something on the cheaper side. Where is the best place to find a job? I have had may jobs so anything to get me started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 01:53 AM

259 posts, read 1,918,181 times
my best advice would be to read thru these posts....you will get TONS of info on your questions!

Old 03-24-2007, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 22,386 times
From the home page if you click on Hawaii, it lists all the cities and has all kinds of information on Median price for Rentals, main occupations etc...in each city.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:43 PM

65 posts, read 432,438 times
I just posted a long post under Kauai retirement. Go read it if you want. There might be some info for you. What kind of work are you going to look for? Are you going alone? Do you have kids? Hobbies, age bracket? Have you been to Hawaii??? Maybe post alittle about yourself and it will help people answer your questions. I'll be glad to answer anything I can if I know what you are looking for.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:59 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Each island is different and each offers different opportunities. You should start by visiting each and spending at least two to three weeks. Oahu has big cities, Big Island is rural, Maui has lots of tourists. The islands themselves can vary from one side to the other. Hilo has lots of rain and Kona is warm and dry. Depends on what you want, how much money you have/need, and why you want to live in Hawaii.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 PM

12 posts, read 55,448 times
First of all, think TWICE, before you move. We left Dallas for Oahu in 2004, just because we had vacationed there so many times and fell in love with the island. We left our jobs, sold our 4 bdrm home, everything that wasn't necessary to continue a life with...including furniture, and went to Oahu with nothing but our suitcases. We shipped our belongings by regular mail, which took a few wks to arrive, and sent our car over on Matson for $1,000.00, which took almost 5 weeks, with no guarantee of an actual arrival date.

Once there, we spent a ton of money in a hotel, which are not too cheap on Oahu. We contacted a realty company, which was given to us by the concierge service at a hotel, and they took us out to Aiea, which is near Pearl Harbor. We lived in a 36 story hi-rise that overlooked I-1 on one side, and the Pearlridge Mall on the other, with Pearl Harbor in the distance. The view was beautiful, however we were in a 2bdrm/2bath 726sq ft place with only a window AC unit (no ceiling fans because the building is surrounded by concrete for possible tsunamis) all for $1400.00/mo plus utilities!

I worked at a title company and my husband worked at Home Depot, both near the financial downtown area, and we were about 12 miles to/from work, but the traffic was terrible. It would take us a good 50-60 minutes each way for such a short distance. Coming from Dallas, traffic tie ups were an issue, but never like this!

So, besides that, it was nice. Weather always beautiful...well most of the time. We got used to paying $7 for a gallon of milk, $5 for a loaf of bread,
$20 for a Pizza Hut pizza, and found that there was always an abundance of rice at the WalMart. The pay didn't offset the cost of living, but just the opportunity to live there was enough for us. Sadly, we could no longer afford the possibility of living there when we found that our little apartment was being sold for $400,000.00 and having to look for 2nd or even 3rd jobs like most of our friends had to stay there, so we decided to move back to the mainland. We now live in sunny Phoenix. We miss the water and the peacefulness that we found there on Oahu. It was a good experience.

There's a book out called "So you Want to Live in Hawaii" and it is a good starting source we highly recommend.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,019 times
Default planning to move to hawii

Quote:
Originally Posted by eray5 View Post
Would like to know the best place to find a place to live? I know this is hard but something on the cheaper side. Where is the best place to find a job? I have had may jobs so anything to get me started.
i want to know, how much the apartment in honolulu and hows the job, can i land a job in HAVC TECH. or maintenance. can you give me an info. thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 11:01 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
HVAC?? Come work for the hospitality industry!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,000 times
I would like to move to HawiiI am from Thailand .everybody knows about what is Island that i can fine a job easiler in Hawii. Now i am catering waitress at FT.Irwin CA. I am single and No kid

Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,144 times
Which island has better job opportunities? I've always wanted to live there too. If someone just wanted a little studio or cottage by a beach, and don't care about shopping and entertainment, but need to be close to an area to find a job, where would you guys recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: