Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:08 AM

56 posts, read 154,014 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Yes, i finally made it to Hawaii. Moved here on May 2nd., a saturday night. Got up sunday morning and went to Waikiki Beach. Wonderful! Got sun burnt real bad, a week later and still peeling skin off my head lol. Also got my cell phone stolen the first day. But other than that, it has been great. The asian people are really nice and caring here, most of them keep to them selves though. I am still in shock i am here. It is nothing you have imagined, just greater!

Before work, i walk out on this pier and sit, enjoy the breeze, the smell, the site, look at the tropical fish in the water. So serene. I can feel the Aloha Spirit.

I got a store transfer here, so had a job before arriving, but my pay was cut 30%, which really hurts me. So looking for other work.

I just want to give honest advice to those who are thinking of moving here. People say you need a lot of money to move here to live on etc. I guess i am a few who disagree. I found a room mate ad on craiglist, with rent, power and internet, i pay $500 a month, and a 20 minute walk to Waikiki. I moved here with $1,000. Even with my lower pay, i can still make it. Barely though lol.

For those who do not have a lot of money, you can still live your dream, as i did. I am so happy to be here, and will stay here a long time, this is now the place i call HOME! Mahalo!

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:50 PM

217 posts, read 640,380 times
i am so jealous! you did it! congratulations! and good luck, because, of course you'll need it
my critters keep me here in texas, but when the numbers thin down i just may be the next "I Am Here!" headline! but i do get to visit every year...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:54 PM

128 posts, read 541,004 times
Hey

Thanks for the reply in my thread (which im not too sure why it got deleted). Thats great to hear you made it successfully there. If you dont mind me asking few questions..i guess when u found the ad for your place online, i assume you had to do everything over the phone or internet since you were obviously not nearby to visit the apt right? Also, what do you do for transportation? Did you ship a car out or did you buy a car on your first day or just use public transportation?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Get a hat! Stay in the shade! Have you ever noticed folks waiting at a bus stop where they don't have the bus shelter? They will all be lined up standing in the shade of a telephone pole if there's no other shade available.

Enjoy the weather, the view, the fish, but try not to get baked while doing it. The sun will be there the next day, no need to soak it all up in one day. SPF 50 sun block is great stuff, put it on directly after showering in the morning until you get a bit more acclimatized.

A thirty percent pay cut over comparable mainland work? Auwe! No wonder folks have a tough time here. There's folks no doubt lining up to get your job, even at the thirty percent pay cut, too. That's one of the "hidden" fees you get to pay to live here, I guess. It is also one of the "hidden" fees employers get to pay when they have to retrain workers all the time.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 PM

115 posts, read 471,476 times
I am happy for you, glad you made it. Do what Hotzcatz said and use the sunblock that's the good thing about Hawai'i is the sun is going to be there tomorrow so take it easy. I know it's hard not to try and get everything in within the first couple of weeks but your going to be there a long time so take your time.

I know what you mean by the smell, aint it great. I am dying here with the Juniper trees and pollen getting my head all stuffed up so I really wish I was there already.

I keep telling my wife that I could go over and start building our house while she takes care of the little things like selling our stuff, packing everything up, make all the shipping arrangements for the animals, cars and stuff. I don't know why she won't go for it

Anyways good luck and have fun

Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 PM

287 posts, read 1,372,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akboy View Post
Hello,
Yes, i finally made it to Hawaii. Moved here on May 2nd., a saturday night. Got up sunday morning and went to Waikiki Beach. Wonderful! Got sun burnt real bad, a week later and still peeling skin off my head lol. Also got my cell phone stolen the first day. But other than that, it has been great. The asian people are really nice and caring here, most of them keep to them selves though. I am still in shock i am here. It is nothing you have imagined, just greater!

Before work, i walk out on this pier and sit, enjoy the breeze, the smell, the site, look at the tropical fish in the water. So serene. I can feel the Aloha Spirit.

I got a store transfer here, so had a job before arriving, but my pay was cut 30%, which really hurts me. So looking for other work.

I just want to give honest advice to those who are thinking of moving here. People say you need a lot of money to move here to live on etc. I guess i am a few who disagree. I found a room mate ad on craiglist, with rent, power and internet, i pay $500 a month, and a 20 minute walk to Waikiki. I moved here with $1,000. Even with my lower pay, i can still make it. Barely though lol.

For those who do not have a lot of money, you can still live your dream, as i did. I am so happy to be here, and will stay here a long time, this is now the place i call HOME! Mahalo!

George
Good for you! Live the dream...I am glad that you had the guts to go for it...there are lots of people out there that wish they were in your shoes right now...walking on the beach looking at the sunset...even if it meant taking a 30% reduction in pay! I know...I gave up a 30% increase in pay just to stay here...just remember after the newness is gone you will still need to be able to live...pay taxes, get a car...etc...you will no longer be a visitor, but a resident...you will also have responsibility to your new community...make sure that you make time for that....take care and Aloha!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM

8 posts, read 55,869 times
Default Inspiring!

Thanks so much for this ... it's so inspiring! So happy you are living your dream.

I am moving over in August and really cannot wait. It feels so far away and like such a dream still. But I love that you have managed to make it with limited financial resources - that is my biggest worry but I have total faith everything will be fine. Also, Seattle is not really that cheap at all - especially rents.

Best of luck with everything and hope you are there for a long time!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:07 PM

52 posts, read 203,933 times
Great to here it akboy... I've not even signed in here for awhile... busy, busy... I'll be right behind ya... 14 days & counting... Enjoy all of it! And definitely follow the advise above, especially remembering to embrace the islands & give back when you can. It will make your time so much more rewarding. Please post more about your adventures when you can... I'm so excited to hear!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:45 PM

11 posts, read 51,721 times
Default So-ooo Jealous of you! :o)

Ok, so I'm here with thoughts of moving to Hawaii myself, some day - the sooner, the better!

I'm a mom who'll be leaving her job behind, and no financial help with supporting the kids ... what areas do I need to look at?? I'll need work, of course. I'd love to live in a small, close-knit, community - a good place to raise children, yet AFFORDABLE.

I wanna live my dream, but also need to be able to feed the kids. I'd be happy in a cute house, nothing fancy necessary! A big ole farm-house would be wonderful - do they have such a thing in Hawaii?? LOL!

Please ... send the advice my way...

MANY Thanks!!

Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM

56 posts, read 154,014 times
Kixette, I hope to see you here soon one day. I'll let you know all i can ok. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii