Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:42 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

As for the forum. Intolerence comes in many forms that is ugly. We have a poster on here who lives in Hawai'i but for some reason dosnt even know he has to take his shoes off when entering a home in Hawai'i. Or sees no value in other cultures in Hawai'i, he expects his beliefs and culture to be in the drivers seat even when he himself only represents less then 1/4 of the population. Sad because instead of being a part of (which western culture has a part of our island culture) he and his culture wants to dominate and make others assimilate his way of life. Its worse then racism and over the top intolerence towards others.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:49 AM

136 posts, read 330,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Reading these posts it makes me wonder why Hawaii is even a part of the USA. Anywhere else racism or racial violence would be prosecuted and frowned upon by a vast percentage of the population. Even over here on the East Coast we heard the story fo the military family in a car accident in Hawaii and beaten senseless by a father and son of Hawaiian ancestry. No prosecution of the criminals at all.

But I too have heard horror stories of whites visiting or living in Hawaii and being abused by native Hawaiians. Maybe it is time to let Hawaii go on its own way. Apparently they don't want to be part of the USA, and aren't very patriotic. Why bother staying part of the country.
I'm pretty sure the majority of Hawaii residents want to remain part of the US. It is only a small but vocal minority who are openly racist or want to become independent. And the vast majority of white people in Hawaii will never be physically attacked because of their race.

I hope you aren't one of those people who claim Hawaii is terribly racist but think minorities in other states and countries are just playing the race card whenever they complain. Racism exists everywhere that people of different races interact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I've heard of bigfoot, the lock ness monster, the boogie man, tooth fairy, etc...and yet that doesn't mean I believe it.

Besides this forum where it is really common - and that poster doesn't even live here, I'm still waiting on my first racial attack/experience.
Your logic: if I haven't experienced it, it doesn't exist and anyone who claims it does is lying! Lol

Old 03-27-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
As for the forum. Intolerence comes in many forms that is ugly. We have a poster on here who lives in Hawai'i but for some reason dosnt even know he has to take his shoes off when entering a home in Hawai'i. Or sees no value in other cultures in Hawai'i, he expects his beliefs and culture to be in the drivers seat even when he himself only represents less then 1/4 of the population. Sad because instead of being a part of (which western culture has a part of our island culture) he and his culture wants to dominate and make others assimilate his way of life. Its worse then racism and over the top intolerence towards others.
You do realize that many Americans say similar things about all the Hispanic and Asian immigrants coming into the US right? "they're taking over and ruining our country!" "they refuse to assimilate" "I miss the good old days (before the immigrants came)"

I think you should accept the inevitable (Hawaii will never be how it was 50 years ago) and move on with your life.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post

Your logic: if I haven't experienced it, it doesn't exist and anyone who claims it does is lying! Lol
Hmmm, didn't say that it didn't exist - I did say "I'm still waiting on my first racial attack/experience." (outside of CDF) - and I've been here for years and worked here over 15 years.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 AM

You also made a silly comparison about not believing in tooth fairies and the boogie man. Racism definitely happens outside of CDF, while the tooth fairy is a fairy tale.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:27 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
You also made a silly comparison about not believing in tooth fairies and the boogie man. Racism definitely happens outside of CDF, while the tooth fairy is a fairy tale.
Fair enough. What about Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster?

I will say this - I believe there is far less racism in the real world here in Hawaii (except CDF) than most metropolitan areas on the mainland.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
You do realize that many Americans say similar things about all the Hispanic and Asian immigrants coming into the US right? "they're taking over and ruining our country!" "they refuse to assimilate" "I miss the good old days (before the immigrants came)"

I think you should accept the inevitable (Hawaii will never be how it was 50 years ago) and move on with your life.
The poster you are referring to lives on the mainland as far as listed location. Kind of ironic to be complaining about white culture in Hawaii while they are living in the mainland. I would have no issue with Hawaii leaving the US. Looks beautiful, and I would love to visit, but not where I am not welcome by the local people.

Whole cities and towns have seen huge demographic changes on the mainland, but for the most part most Americans want immigration reform that allows people to stay and even allow more to come in. Seems quite a few native Hawaiians don't want any white people moving there.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:

What is meant by CDF?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 AM

An interesting article about the bullying of whites in Hawaii.

Bullying in Hawaii: A State of Denial | Hawaii Reporter

The comments listed after the article are shocking. Hawaii seems to do a great job concealing this due to tourism. But I knew about it cause a neighbor of mine spent 6 months living in Hawaii with her husband (he got an assignment there). One day when swimming in the pool in their apartment complex, my friends husband jumped in and accidentally splashed some locals lying around the pool. Later that night they jumped him and hit him with a tire iron. He had to be hospitalized. Before the incident my neighbor loved Hawaii, and always talked about wanting to go there. This incident was 20 years ago, and she has never gone back and never even mentions Hawaii. She has no desire to ever return as even a tourist.

Funny, I never hear of Hawaiians being attacked and beaten in the US without prosecution, or "kill a Hawaiian day" on the mainland. Why is this tolerated there?

I think sooner than later Hawaii will vote for independence, and they probably should. Seems an untenable situation full of resentment towards Americans. I assume many Hawaiians don't even consider themselves American from what I read on this forum and the comments after the article.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I think sooner than later Hawaii will vote for independence, and they probably should. Seems an untenable situation full of resentment towards Americans. I assume many Hawaiians don't even consider themselves American from what I read on this forum and the comments after the article.
If a vote were held soon, there is no way even close to a majority would vote to become independent. Most Hawaii residents are proud to be Americans. Back in the 1950s, the Asians and whites pushed to make Hawaii a state and those groups make up the substantial majority of Hawaii residents today. Don't make conclusions about Hawaii based on some comments and articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii