Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 PM

5 posts, read 11,939 times

Advertisements

Where can a 6 year old girl from Japan who knows no English attend school? She, and her mother will be moving to Hawaii this year. Can anyone recommend an elementary school (public if any) ?

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiNalo808 View Post
Where can a 6 year old girl from Japan who knows no English attend school? She, and her mother will be moving to Hawaii this year. Can anyone recommend an elementary school (public if any) ?

Thank you for your help.
Which island?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:32 AM

Oahu

My Concern is for the 6 yr old girl and her making the transition to America and finding a school for her where her mom and I will be safe knowing that the teachers will help her with the transition in school. For example, will there be a faculty member who can speak Japanese so she can also communicate with the mother?

Last edited by KaiNalo808; 01-21-2010 at 01:41 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 AM

28 posts, read 69,776 times
Lanikai Elementary in Kailua is the only one I know of that is a public (charter) school that can help. Otherwise, perhaps a private school search?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
For what it's worth there are private schools that some of the local Japanese send their kids to that promotes learning/speaking Japanese.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM

287 posts, read 1,372,112 times
You might not have a choice of what public school to send the child...it will be determined by where they will be living...the other choice is to send the child to private school...where you may pick and choose.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM

how about a school that offers ESL (English as a Second Language)? Who offers that?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 AM

32 posts, read 149,722 times
I do not live in Hawaii yet, but I know a bit about US public schools. The federal government requires state public schools to provide English as a Second Language (ESL) assistance to children who need help (usually determined by a test when they first enter school). So if the child needs the help, she will recieve it in some form as required by law. Look at Hawai'i's Public Schools

The quality of the ESL programs vary by state. You should be aware that the Hawaii education system ranks as one of the lowest in the US, so I would say that your first priority should be getting into a good school. The quality of education offered in the regular classroom (where ESL students usually spend most of their time) will be the most important factor for the child developing English. The trouble is, unlike in Japan, good schools are in more affluent neighborhoods, so you would have to be able to afford the most expensive housing in Hawaii to get into the best public schools in Hawaii.

You could go the private school route, although I am not sure about which are best for ESL students. You might want to look into the private Buddhist schools like Hongwanji and Pacific Buddhist Academy because they may have more Japanese students.

As far as the mother communicating with the school, I think your best bet would be finding a friend who can help translate. That shouldn't be too hard in Hawaii where there are a lot of Japanese. It might just be too hard to find a school where you know there is a Japanese teacher and then trying to get into that school (and also hoping it is a good school educationally).

The good thing is that she is young enough at 6 years old to pick up a second language quickly. I know from experience with English-speaking children that age learning Japanese.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,157 times
children will learn english well by immersion in school.

there must be at least one japanese parents who sends their children there, and they can do the interpreting for the teachers and mother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: