Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:39 PM

17 posts, read 112,520 times

Advertisements

Hey, I was wondering what Major League Baseball team people in Hawaii like to root for. Also, are there MLB games on everyday (during the season) and if so, what team is it? Thanks to anyone who answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 PM

55 posts, read 185,822 times
I do know for basketball people tend to like the Lakers. Their is a cool sports bar called Bada Bing in South Maui that has TONS of Lakers fans. As far as baseball goes...that is very good question. My best bet would be the LA Dodgers or the Anaheim(not LA) Angels.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,655 times
Major league baseball isn't that popular at all, at least on The Big Island. It's funny because Hawaii has won 2 of the last 5 Little League World Series, go figure! Still, I have yet to find more than a few people even remotely interested in baseball in the 7 years I have been here(most of them are transplants who root for there "home" team). Most people I know root for the west coast teams, mainly the Dodgers. Oh the Phillies too because Shane Victorino is from Maui and they won a World Series. Direct Tv has a package that you can buy that shows almost 80 games a week. I think some cable/satellite packages include Fswest, wgn, tbs, so you can watch a lot of Angels, Dodgers, White Sox, Cubs and Braves games. Hope that helps!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,642 times
It's hard to follow baseball here... the games are early in the day, and mostly only west coast games get TV & radio play. I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan, and I follow as much as I can on the internet. Every year, I consider a subscription to MLB.com premium package... but then I think, "I don't really want to give 3+ hours a day to this... plus money!" So I watch the occasional Sox game when they play the Angels or whatever, and then read about it.

I see lots of Sox gear and lots of Yankees gear on local folks. But that's probably because those are the two that catch my eye. It could be that other teams are equally well represented.

And any team with a player from Hawaii will always be popular with the local media, at least.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 PM

I can't stand the Bo Sox or the Yankees lol (for the bo sox it's because they are a bandwagon team since they won the world series). I will be a Seattle Mariner fan till the day I die. Seattle has a relief pitcher that just made the club from Maui, name is Kanekoa Teixera (sp?).

What sports are popular on the big island? As far as watching goes?

Last edited by UHH24; 04-19-2010 at 09:23 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHH24 View Post
I can't stand the Bo Sox or the Yankees lol (for the bo sox it's because they are a bandwagon team since they won the world series).
Ah, but I was a Sox fan way before '04. I watching in '03. When Pedro came out of the dugout in the 8th inning, I (along with thousands of others) yelled at the TV. I still think it's my fault because at the end of 7 innings and up by 5, I let myself think, "The Sox are going to the World Series!" Didn't even say it out loud. Just thought it. And then... well.

So I don't care about the bandwagon thing. I was there screaming for them when they were still cursed.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 PM

You are a true fan then and have earned my respect lol. Now cubbies fans, they are the real troopers

Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM

92 posts, read 351,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHH24 View Post
I can't stand the Bo Sox or the Yankees lol (for the bo sox it's because they are a bandwagon team since they won the world series). I will be a Seattle Mariner fan till the day I die. Seattle has a relief pitcher that just made the club from Maui, name is Kanekoa Teixera (sp?).

What sports are popular on the big island? As far as watching goes?

Woo hoo!! Mariners fan here too!!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
NPB is the main baseball followed with Yomiuri Jaiantsu as the team I see the most merchandise and emblem on Hawaii.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
As far as baseball goes...that is very good question. My best bet would be the LA Dodgers or the Anaheim(not LA) Angels.
Can anyone else confirm this.

Hawaii generally follows the Southern California teams for Major League Baseball? Dodgers and the Angels?

They play most of the games, or just the occassional game?

How much newspaper coverage do those two teams get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii