Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:42 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times

Advertisements

To all senior retirees---------have you ever moved to a location and found out there are no doctors there willing to accept new Medicare patients?

I was reading an old thread last night where a retiree moved to NE Tennessee and despite him and his wife having no history of illness/disease, can't find a doctor who will accept new Medicare patients.

Is this becoming common in many parts of the country ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I knoiw that many are because of reembursement rates.There is a shortage of primary physicans in this country that is getting worse. I know my doctor is not accepting any new patients because his practice is that large. That plus more and more top specailist will nto take anyhting but pri9vate insurnce because of the rates. Last I heard the average was 20% more remebursement between medicare and private insurance.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
To all senior retirees---------have you ever moved to a location and found out there are no doctors there willing to accept new Medicare patients?

I was reading an old thread last night where a retiree moved to NE Tennessee and despite him and his wife having no history of illness/disease, can't find a doctor who will accept new Medicare patients.

There is always an alternative. In my town we have a prominent clinic that does not accept new Medicare patients (original Medicare) but does accept patients with Part C (MedAdvantage).. so it is always a good idea to consult with a local agent or ask the clinic/doctor if they will accept MedAdvantage plans for new patients.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:32 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
In rural area or small towns with few options, it's quite common. (note to retirees, eh?)

Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 AM

I had planned on re-locating in the near future and that is a problem that I hadn't even thought of before.

Will it become a bigger problem if a health care bill get signed and part of the funding involves cuts in Medicare spending ?

Old 11-13-2009, 08:34 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,772 times
I have definitely had that problem here. I had to call several gynecologists who would accept Medicare before I finally found one here. I'm still looking for a primary care doctor. I found one, but an office visit to him for a checkup was so brief it meant nothing. He just did lab work and listened to my chest. He wasn't even interested in my medical history (I'm diabetic). I wondered if that was because he wasn't going to make much off the visit.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yup. Not only that, many docs who have been your doc for years will stop seeing you when you turn 65 and go on medicare. That happened to my dad. He had to go find a new internist. And this is in a very populated big city with plenty of docs to go around.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Totally amazed by the responses.

At age 64, I was clueless as to what next year will mean.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:10 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

I live in a rural area, if they turned down medicare they would have to move out. These are rumors meant to scare seniors

Old 11-13-2009, 02:38 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I live in a rural area, if they turned down medicare they would have to move out. These are rumors meant to scare seniors
Not a rumor at all. Many doctors are being pushed to the wall due to high insurance premiums and slow (very slow) pay from state,federal and medical insurance companies. One has to remember that doctors run a business as well a treat patients. The money has to come from somewhere.....on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance