Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times

Advertisements

It looks like in six years, DW is retiring from her job in county government. She'll be 58. Personally, I wish she would work a few years longer, but she is adamant she doesn't want too, so I've accepted it.

Here's the problem: For three years following her retirement, her health insurance will be heavily subsidized. After that, we have to buy it at market rates. I've checked out the cost for a decent policy and I almost died. The premiums are currently between $2000 to $3000 a month (low deductible plan and she has a health condition that requires us buy significant medical supplies). At age 65, she can go on Medicare (unless the law is changed). However, getting from age 61 to age 65, sounds like it is going to be a real ordeal for us.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
The real question is, can she get health insurance period! On a private policy in most states it is virtually impossible for a person 55+ to get health insurance due to pre-existing conditions and it sounds like they would not have to look too far with her to find a reason. Hopefully by 2014 a person will not be able to be turned down on a policy due to pre-existing conditions, we will have to wait and see what the political winds bring us. You might look to see what options your state offers but BE SURE you guys know the facts before you give up what you have.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Any suggestions?
Hire her. Put her on the law firm payroll and group HI plan.

Ride that pony for as long as you can.
Soon enough... the employer relationship with HI will be over.
(not soon enough for me but it is coming)

Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It looks like in six years, DW is retiring from her job in county government. She'll be 58. Personally, I wish she would work a few years longer, but she is adamant she doesn't want too, so I've accepted it.

Here's the problem: For three years following her retirement, her health insurance will be heavily subsidized. After that, we have to buy it at market rates. I've checked out the cost for a decent policy and I almost died. The premiums are currently between $2000 to $3000 a month (low deductible plan and she has a health condition that requires us buy significant medical supplies). At age 65, she can go on Medicare (unless the law is changed). However, getting from age 61 to age 65, sounds like it is going to be a real ordeal for us.

Any suggestions?
Welcome to America.
The system is designed to keep us all wage slaves as long as possible. I'd share what you've found with your wife (DW?) and crunch the numbers together to see how much will be left over in savings by retiring early early and losing benefits versus retiring several years from now when eligible for medicare.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Hire her. Put her on the law firm payroll and group HI plan.
Yup, this is what you do. I know people who do this.

If I'm doing the math right, DW doesn't retire for six years, health insurance thereafter is subsidized for three years. Total nine years.

So, why are you worrying now about what might possibly not happen for at least NINE years? Sounds like you expect Romney to be elected and ACA to be repealed.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
A lot can change in those 6 years and the 3 years after, starting today as a matter of fact. You could move to another state that has FAR less premiums for individual plans, she could get a job at Starbucks and get health insurance through them, you could become addicted to gambling and lose every dime you have and qualify for Medicaid.....the proverbial cart before the horse.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Yup, this is what you do. I know people who do this.

If I'm doing the math right, DW doesn't retire for six years, health insurance thereafter is subsidized for three years. Total nine years.

So, why are you worrying now about what might possibly not happen for at least NINE years? Sounds like you expect Romney to be elected and ACA to be repealed.
I'm hoping Romney won't be elected and the ACA repealed. I worry I'll be wrong.

Here is the breakdown on wife:

Can retire at age 58 on a 30 year pension with the county.

58-61 covered by county subsidized health insurance

61-65 Must obtain our own coverage which currently runs between 2K to 3K per month.

65 onward, Medicare, unless there is no more Medicare when we hit 65.

Putting her on the health insurance at work maybe the only possible solution. Its not as good a plan as her plan with the county though.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
A lot can change in those 6 years and the 3 years after, starting today as a matter of fact. You could move to another state that has FAR less premiums for individual plans, she could get a job at Starbucks and get health insurance through them, you could become addicted to gambling and lose every dime you have and qualify for Medicaid.....the proverbial cart before the horse
Moving to another state is not an option for a lawyer who has invested his entire working life building a practice in an area. People outside my field, often don't understand that. However, its the years I've spent in this area that guarantees me referrals and future business. If I left, I'd have to start at ground zero.

The bit about Medicaid sounds like a joke. But, you've just made the classic argument for universal healthcare--independent of employer subsidized insurance plans.

I hope by the time we hit this age, either the ACA or something like it is in effect.

If worst comes to worst, she'll continue working. It will involve a lot of angst on her part and she has a chronic health problem. However, we've always done what we had to do to get by. We p*** and moan about it, but we do it.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:49 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
There isn't one single thing you can do TODAY to change what might happen in nine years, so I'd forget about it until the time comes.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I just ran some quotes in your area for plans with a $5000 max out of pocket and the most expensive one was $308/month. Where are you getting the $3000/month?? Are you sure you didn't look at yearly cost? Also, keep in mind that while some plans have a higher out of pocket max/deductibles, the premiums are less so you need to figure out net cost. For the lowest cost standard plan the out of pocket cost with premium and deductibles/co-pays was 11,500, the highest premium cost with the lowest deductible/co-pay was 9000. For a high user it makes sense in this case to get the higher monthly premium plan but for a mid to low user, the lower premium plan makes more sense because there is a good chance they would never meet $9000 in Out of pocket costs and the roughly $2000/year is worth the gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance