Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:53 PM

73 posts, read 222,152 times

Advertisements

We got our bill, from Blue Cross/Blue Shield, our supplement insurance with medicare, for the next three-month period and it doubled! Thanks Obamacare. Two people with minimal health probs is now going to cost us $500 @ month! That's without prescription coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janie69 View Post
We got our bill, from Blue Cross/Blue Shield, our supplement insurance with medicare, for the next three-month period and it doubled! Thanks Obamacare. Two people with minimal health probs is now going to cost us $500 @ month! That's without prescription coverage.
I thought I put this in the retirement category, under health insurance and medicare.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
I thought I put this in the retirement category, under health insurance and medicare.
Medicare was moved to Health Insurance long ago. Link to Health Insurance forum is at top of Retirement Forum, which is how you ended up here.

Quote:
What state are you in? Costs vary by state.

If you had supplement coverage at $125/mo. each, that is very cheap. Most plans cost about $165-$180/mo. If you're older, they cost more. Your age may also be a factor if you are not in a community-rated plan. $250/mo is on the high side if you aren't in your mid-70s.

Consider purchasing a high-deductible Medicare supplement F plan. In my state, a hd F plan costs about $60/mo per individual if you are under 71, with a $2,060 deductible. Works out to about $225/mo. if you max out your deductible. Hard to do unless you're hospitalized or require a lot of expensive tests. After that, the hd plan picks up just like yours.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:25 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Further, the hd-F plan through BCBS here has premium increases once a year in April. You enroll during open enrollment in October, pay the old rate Jan-Mar., and then wait to learn what new rate will be for following year. Last few years there were no rate increases. We can prepay on an annual basis.

Why is yours going up now?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
janie69
Are you aware that you can switch plans mid-year, I believe, for Medigap plans (just not PartD or Advantage)
It may require a minimal underwriting(no exam) and acceptance but if you have no disqualifying health history, you should be good.
Consider switching to the high deductible Ariadne22 mentioned....even better...check all insurers and plans for which one is best for you.
I agree that you've had a really good deal at $125 if it wasn't a high deductible plan.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:18 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Not sure what Obama Care has to do with your increase. Also not sure what you are counting and what plan you have and did you change plans with BC. If you are counting your Medicare premium plus your BC/BS supplement for both you and your wife, that $250.00 each is about correct. My B/C B/S supplemental plan alone cost me about $185.00 a month, I have the no deductible Plan F, the most expensive option. In four years my cost has increased around $20.00 a month. I could get a cheaper one but I like it not having to pay anything for my health care.
I think there is more to this story than the OP posted. By the way, try to get coverage someplace else for $500.00 at your age, it is a bargain!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Not sure what Obama Care has to do with your increase. Also not sure what you are counting and what plan you have and did you change plans with BC. If you are counting your Medicare premium plus your BC/BS supplement for both you and your wife, that $250.00 each is about correct. My B/C B/S supplemental plan alone cost me about $185.00 a month, I have the no deductible Plan F, the most expensive option. In four years my cost has increased around $20.00 a month. I could get a cheaper one but I like it not having to pay anything for my health care.
I think there is more to this story than the OP posted. By the way, try to get coverage someplace else for $500.00 at your age, it is a bargain!
Gregg....the supplement is not buying coverage...only 20% of what Medicare approves and does not pay.
Just got a CMS summary yesterday for an ER trip ...A couple of payouts, for instance....

Charge.........$1,706...Medicare approved..$187.80.....Medicare paid $150.24
Supplement paid $37.56

Charge....$940.00 Medicare approved...$477.08 Medicare paid....$381.67
Supplement paid $95.41

and a regular doctor office visit
Charge $217 Approved $112.85 Medicare paid $88.47
Supplement paid $ 22.57

I keep track and because my husband usually goes to the hospital two or three times a year, he collects a little more than the premium
I keep it because if surgery is ever involved, it will undoubtedly incur much higher bills.

But, for the ordinary person, what $250 is actually covering, a supplement in no way a bargain.
The "$100" a month for Medicare is the bargain.(Not counting all one may have paid throughout their working years)

Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
You mean you like not having to see what you're paying....
See my post above to see how much the premium is as opposed to how much the policy is actually covering.
You ARE paying..you're just paying it monthly instead of per occasion..

Old 07-14-2013, 11:46 AM

I don't see where this is a bargain, Gregg, paying $500.00 @ month for myself and husband, for supplemental. Up until now, it was $250.00 @ month! I heard Obamacare was causing insurance rates to go up so here it is! We are in Florida. I'm 69, husband is 72. I don't know what Medicare F is???

My husband is also a vet so we were going to check VA Health but I don't know how well it pays and where there services are.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:35 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You mean you like not having to see what you're paying....
See my post above to see how much the premium is as opposed to how much the policy is actually covering.
You ARE paying..you're just paying it monthly instead of per occasion..
Twist my words why don't you! Of course I know I am paying for coverage, $110.00 for Medicare, $185.00 for my plan F from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I chose Plan F because I DON"T WANT TO PAY PER OCCASION!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance