Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:26 PM

19 posts, read 93,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
This thread should be closed. Freeloaders going to freeload no matter what. This country's generous welfare safety net did not begin until the 1930s, well after the time when my ancestors came here. I wish that immigrants would take responsibility for their parents and lean more on their native countries for social benefits. Considering our current POTUS is lobbying to give free benefits to illegals, I won't hold my breath. Maybe the part that you don't understand is that the old immigrant qualifies for Medicaid, which pays the medicare Parts A & B premium. This is a de facto medicare-medicaid scenario, richer benefits than working retired age Americans can qualify for. I've seen it with my own eyes. Your elderly parent should be so lucky because most retired Americans aren't.
The issue is more complex. How about this: many immigrants got educated in their native countries, which was paid for by their parents (often indirectly via taxes in countries where higher education is "free"). In that sense the U.S. is the freeloader - getting tax paying highly educated workforce for "free".

Food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,389 times
Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwongmom View Post
I am in the same situation. Sponsored my mother who is 70. I was able to get her insurance through the PCIP program, now sponsored by the Federal government. It's been a great relief. Her premium is $505/mo. To qualify you will need to take her to a doctor who can examine her and write a letter stating that she has pre-existing condition. There are co-pays for everything but to me, it is so worth it. Her meds alone are $600/mo. After you meet the $250 RX, they begin covering more. I now pay about $40-$60 for meds. Good luck!

Two years ago you post this, my parents are moving here. How can I get medical insurance for them?

Old 01-21-2016, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,141 times
Hi,

I read this post and I felt it's talking about myself and my family. I'm a legal immigrant and have US citizenship and I have a good job in MD. My parents are 86 and 80 years old and I want to bring them over here so I'll be able to take care of them. My employer doesn't cover dependents and my income is much higher than the poverty line. I have either to go back to my country of origin with my family and ruin all their dreams of a better future, or to bring my parents here and be always under the risk of medical consequences without any insurance coverage. Is their any hope in my case? Your help and recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2016, 04:04 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atris View Post
Hi,

I read this post and I felt it's talking about myself and my family. I'm a legal immigrant and have US citizenship and I have a good job in MD. My parents are 86 and 80 years old and I want to bring them over here so I'll be able to take care of them. My employer doesn't cover dependents and my income is much higher than the poverty line. I have either to go back to my country of origin with my family and ruin all their dreams of a better future, or to bring my parents here and be always under the risk of medical consequences without any insurance coverage. Is their any hope in my case? Your help and recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
You can buy a private policy for your parents, they just won't qualify for anything off the Marketplace with subsidies and such. I just ran a quick quote for an 86 year old in my area and it would be $547.50/month with a $4700 deductible and $6550 out of pocket max. Numbers would be different in your area, obviously, but it is an option.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 12,470 times
Qwerty,

Can you please share the site that your are using to get this number? I am looking for health insurance for my mom.

Thanks.

Last edited by kaylee3205; 02-11-2016 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 05:19 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee3205 View Post
Qwerty,

Can you please share the site that your are using to get this number? I am looking for health insurance for my mom.

Thanks.
BCBS site in my state. It's a good place to start since BCBS is in every state.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
My mother is 77 years old and she is a recent immigrant (entered the US with green card in 2012), so she is not eligible for Medicare. She does not have any income nor any sizable asset, but does have a son who is willing to support her.
She is approaching the time when she can apply to become an American citizen,would that change her medicare status ?

Old 02-12-2016, 05:55 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
She is approaching the time when she can apply to become an American citizen,would that change her medicare status ?
I don't think so because she never worked in the US paying FICA which medicare is a part of. She never contributed. However, don't confuse medicare with medicaid. They are two different coverages.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
, don't confuse medicare with medicaid. They are two different coverages.
I get them mixed up every time i talk about them..

Old 02-12-2016, 06:35 PM

484 posts, read 560,759 times
If your mother has been in the US legally for five years, she can get Medicare. She will still have to wait out the five year residency if she becomes a citizen.

You should also contact the marketplace in your state. It's my understanding that people who are over 65, in the country legally and who don't qualify for Medicare because of the residency issues can still get coverage through their state's marketplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance