Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:19 PM

51 posts, read 328,010 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 and I need to see a doctor badly. I'm experiencing dizziness and excessive tiredness, extreme thirst and hunger and lethargy. I can barely concentrate sometimes and want to be checked out ASAP but I don't have insurance or a job to pay for any fees. I live in Georgia, the metropolitan area (Lithonia). If you know any home remedies please let me know. I was also diagnosed with high BP when I was 17 but at 19 I got kicked off of my insurance because they labeled as an adult, so I stopped getting medicine, could this be my problem? Also I don't really drink a lot of water, well I have been recently but it really hasn't been helping. I also just quit smoking and drinking alcohol as well. I was a heavy smoker, do those play a part in my illness? Any advice you can give I'd gladly appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 PM

653 posts, read 817,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will307 View Post
I'm 21 and I need to see a doctor badly. I'm experiencing dizziness and excessive tiredness, extreme thirst and hunger and lethargy. I can barely concentrate sometimes and want to be checked out ASAP but I don't have insurance or a job to pay for any fees. I live in Georgia, the metropolitan area (Lithonia). If you know any home remedies please let me know. I was also diagnosed with high BP when I was 17 but at 19 I got kicked off of my insurance because they labeled as an adult, so I stopped getting medicine, could this be my problem? Also I don't really drink a lot of water, well I have been recently but it really hasn't been helping. I also just quit smoking and drinking alcohol as well. I was a heavy smoker, do those play a part in my illness? Any advice you can give I'd gladly appreciate it! Thanks!
I understand where you are coming from. I am 29 and am experiencing dizziness and excessive tiredness as well. I also don't have insurance. Hopefully there is a solution out there

Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
What will having insurance and/or seeing a doctor do for you?

You may be in luck. Your condition may be of your own making... aka you may be able to change your perhaps dangerous medical condition.

Do you have high blood pressure? You can swing by a Walmart, Walgreens, some grocery stores by the pharmacy dept and give it a whirl, aka check your bp. If it is high, start watching what you eat, do drink 8+ glasses of water per day, mix in some green vegetables and fruit, etc. Continue to not smoke cigarettes and if you can't handle your booze, don't drink it.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't suggest or prescribe you good health. I've lost 15 lbs in the last month or two... and I'm keeping it off. I've not gotten crazy with exercise nor have I stopped eating. I'm just eating better things... along with some things I must still eat. I would be prone to having high cholesterol.

This is what I'm doing regularly which I think has lead to weight-loss, more energy, less snoring, etc. I'm drinking a good bit of water daily, don't drink sodas or drinks with sugar, take some vitamins daily, get some exercise through work where I walk up and down stairs a lot and get from building to building either on foot or on a bicycle... oh, and I drink a concoction of 3 tbsp of Bragg raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar with two tbsp of local raw unfiltered honey poured into a cup of hot water... sort of like a virgin hot toddy. This I think lowers my cholesterol, helps me lose weight somehow, eliminates heart burn and enables me to stay away from tums entirely, etc.

Daily meditation is helpful, doing some form of hobby or recreation daily is helpful. If I'm bored to death and broke, do housework. Clean a room, vacuum, do laundry. After that, I'm positive, have more energy, and am more likely to get out and do stuff. Maybe mix in some exercise at this point if you're so motivated.

Oh, and get a job... anything, deliver pizzas. Doing that lead me to a career job I have now. In 10 days, I take a test which if I pass, I become an A operator for a public utility of which I've only worked for just short of three years.

Then you can go see a doctor or a nurse practitioner and give him/her some pointers.

That's my opinion on the matter.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Call your local county health dept, and ask them if you qualify for any Free Clinics in the area.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Yep; here one would either go to emergency room or if not a emergency call the country clinic which is based on income as to paying.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
You might qualify for Medicaid if you have little to no assets. Look it up on your computer and make application.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:18 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
You do not need insurance to go to a doctor. You can just pay as you go.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will307 View Post
I'm 21 and I need to see a doctor badly.
You need a few hundred or so to pay a doctor with... not insurance.
If you can't afford the treatment that a diagnosis might reveal is needed...

Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
It sounds like it could be dehydration. If so, it won't be expensive to treat if you seek treatment ASAP. If you postpone treatment too long, you could end up with kidney failure, in a coma or die.

It annoys me to hear people say they don't have money to go to the doctor when they have money for the internet. A doctor's appointment isn't more expensive than a cable TV and internet payment. Until you've at least tried to get a diagnosis, I think you're doing a disservice to yourself to assume you can't afford medical treatment. You don't even know what's wrong with you. It might be a cheap fix.

Go the Emergency Room. There is a federal law that requires you be provided emergency treatment regardless of your ability to pay. EMTALA If something is seriously wrong with you and you need to be admitted to the hospital, social workers will help you get on medical assistance or medical charity funding.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
If your parents have a plan they can put you back on that plan until you are 26, however not in time for you now. Go to your county hospital. They take pro bono cases or work out payment plans. Then, get a job and get some money so you don't have to worry about this any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance