Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:33 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times

Advertisements

I have been on Medicare + United Healthcare for many years with no problems whatsoever Now the Medical world has come up with whole new ways to confuse us. Well, to confuse me anyway. Example: Many doctors no longer to their own billing. "Central Business Offices" do it for them. This results in a back-and-forth "Ask them". No one has answers.

Enough of that. Just stating the reason for this question. I will soon be seeing a new doctor (I think). Finding a rather odd question on the forms they want filled out, I called the doctor's office and asked if the doctor accepts Medicare assignment. The person who answered the telephone did not understand what I meant by 'Medicare assignment'. She suggested I call their central billing office. I did. From them I came away with a "it all depends on what Medicare you have" answer. I am still not sure if this new doctor accepts Medicare assignment.

My question. Where, in this large new Medical world do patients go for straight answers and explanations? How do we keep up with what is going on so we can deal with it intelligently? Or, do they want us to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Well, I guess I'm not sure what you are asking either. Are you asking if they accept Medicare payments as payment in full?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, I guess I'm not sure what you are asking either. Are you asking if they accept Medicare payments as payment in full?
Yes. "Participating" physicians accept Medicare assignments in full. Medicare pays 80% of what they approve and your supplemental plan or you yourself pay the other 20%. Doctor cannot charge you more than that.

There is another group of doctors who accept Medicare insurance but not their approved assignments. They can charge up to 15% in addition to what Medicare approved.

Then, there is a third group who do not participate in Medicare at all. They can charge you anything they want to charge.

So, if you ask if your doctor accepts "Medicare assignment", you are asking if he accepts what Medicare approves as full payment. You, I and our next-door neighbor may not have that all straight but anyone working in the doctor's office should have and should be able to answer (or ask the doctor) as to whether he/she accepts assignment. Should be able to!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:49 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Yes. "Participating" physicians accept Medicare assignments in full. Medicare pays 80% of what they approve and your supplemental plan or you yourself pay the other 20%. Doctor cannot charge you more than that.

There is another group of doctors who accept Medicare insurance but not their approved assignments. They can charge up to 15% in addition to what Medicare approved.

Then, there is a third group who do not participate in Medicare at all. They can charge you anything they want to charge.

So, if you ask if your doctor accepts "Medicare assignment", you are asking if he accepts what Medicare approves as full payment. You, I and our next-door neighbor may not have that all straight but anyone working in the doctor's office should have and should be able to answer (or ask the doctor) as to whether he/she accepts assignment. Should be able to!
There's also the Medicare Advantage Plans. Some of those are HMO's and the participants are limited to going to the doctors and other healthcare providers in their network.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:14 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Default Ask different question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I have been on Medicare + United Healthcare for many years with no problems whatsoever Now the Medical world has come up with whole new ways to confuse us. Well, to confuse me anyway. Example: Many doctors no longer to their own billing. "Central Business Offices" do it for them. This results in a back-and-forth "Ask them". No one has answers.

Enough of that. Just stating the reason for this question. I will soon be seeing a new doctor (I think). Finding a rather odd question on the forms they want filled out, I called the doctor's office and asked if the doctor accepts Medicare assignment. The person who answered the telephone did not understand what I meant by 'Medicare assignment'. She suggested I call their central billing office. I did. From them I came away with a "it all depends on what Medicare you have" answer. I am still not sure if this new doctor accepts Medicare assignment.

My question. Where, in this large new Medical world do patients go for straight answers and explanations? How do we keep up with what is going on so we can deal with it intelligently? Or, do they want us to know?
In my experience, you have to ask the question or state your situation differently. For instance,
1. I have "original" Medicare only. Do you accept that ?
2. I have Medicare plus Medigap from XYZ Insurance Co. Do you accept that ?
3. I have a Medicare Advantage plan with XYZ Insurance Co. Do you accept that ?

IOW, if you state what coverage or plan you have, the billing people seem to know how to answer.

As always, YMMV.

BTW, one question I have had for some time is, If a provider accepts any form of Medicare payment, must they accept all ?? ( with exception for out-of-network on a MA plan) ?? My first PCP under Medicare said he "only" accepted 2 specific MA plans. Not "original". Not Medigap. My new PCP said he did not think that was OK.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
In my experience, you have to ask the question or state your situation differently. For instance,
1. I have "original" Medicare only. Do you accept that ?
2. I have Medicare plus Medigap from XYZ Insurance Co. Do you accept that ?
3. I have a Medicare Advantage plan with XYZ Insurance Co. Do you accept that ?

IOW, if you state what coverage or plan you have, the billing people seem to know how to answer.

As always, YMMV.

BTW, one question I have had for some time is, If a provider accepts any form of Medicare payment, must they accept all ?? ( with exception for out-of-network on a MA plan) ?? My first PCP under Medicare said he "only" accepted 2 specific MA plans. Not "original". Not Medigap. My new PCP said he did not think that was OK.
You are right about stating the plan. After trying the office, I called their billing department. I explained exactly which plan I have and what supplement I have. She agreed that my plan pays what I said it pays but she still didn't confirm that the doctor accepts assignment there.

It's most confusing. The new systems have left the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. So, we end up being told "I don't know; call so-and-so".

With my former doctor, I wanted to ask a question about a certain billing. The woman at his office said they don't do billing, I should call the billing office and she gave me their number. I called them. They said 'we don't do the billing; we just collect the payments and send the money to the doctor." So, there we are.

I don't know what MA plans are. Part of the newer Medicare setup? I'd think, though, that if a doctor accepts any part of Medicare, he'd have to accept all of it.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,312 times
Asking a doctor if they take medicare assignment is the same thing as asking if they accept patients who are on medicare.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Asking a doctor if they take medicare assignment is the same thing as asking if they accept patients who are on medicare.
You may be right. I thought there is another group that do accept Medicare as an insurance but do not accept assignment. Those are the doctors who can charge up to 15% more than Medicare allows. Then, there is a third group that does not participate in Medicare at all. Not even accepting it as insurance. They can charge anything they want. All three treat Medicare patients but charge differently. And I've run into one or two who refuse to even treat Medicare patients. Don't know what their purpose is.

A friend send me an article explaining those groups. I shall see if I still have it.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
That's not correct. I get a lot of medical care at Mayo Clinic JAX. It accepts traditional Medicare patients - but does not "take assignment" (as Hazel W would phrase it). Therefore - it is free to charge 15% more for its services (that 15% was/is covered by Medigap Plans J - now discontinued - and F - which I think is still around). Robyn

Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That's not correct. I get a lot of medical care at Mayo Clinic JAX. It accepts traditional Medicare patients - but does not "take assignment" (as Hazel W would phrase it). Therefore - it is free to charge 15% more for its services (that 15% was/is covered by Medigap Plans J - now discontinued - and F - which I think is still around). Robyn

Exactly. See here: Medicare Interactive - Paying for the doctor when you have Original Medicare

And, yes, Plan F is still around. Thank goodness. I am in no mood to search for new insurance. :-) If you didn't travel overseas a lot and didn't need much medicine, Plan F was the best of the ten. I've had real peace of mind with Plan F and my supplemental to pick up the slack - slack being the other 20% plus the deductible. And, if it happened, Plan F paid that 15%. May it continue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance