Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:43 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
The ACA IS NOT a type of insurance, it is an exchange where insurance can be obtained. A doctor has no way of knowing if my insurance was purchased direct, from an agent, or off of the exchange. My wife has BC/BS and I ham on Medicare, I can assure you tomorrow I'm going to check prices on the exchange versus what we are currently paying. If we can get her policy cheaper we will go that way, our doctors could care less as long as they get paid.
You must be listening to too much far right BS to even ask the question.
I realize this is an exchange. The practice I know of stated they won't accept new patients who get their insurance coverage through the ACA. This is a fairly large practice well over 300 which I would imagine will impact quite a few people. This group does not take medicaid due to the low reimbursement. Medicaid patients have had difficulty finding local providers for a long time now. They must be basing this on a reimbursement they feel is too low to accept. I haven't found any information on how they will know where one purchases insurance but those who do the billing probably have much more information available to them to perhaps they have some way of identifying.

Last edited by ebbe; 10-01-2013 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Does anyone else know of doctors who are declining to accept patients who get healthcare under the ACA? I'm seeing this and wonder if others are yet.
Uh oh. Many already don't accept Medicare. Looks like only the rich and illegals will have medical care.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
ACA hasn't gone into effect yet so who is declining who?

Tell us EXACTLY what "you are seeing". Seriously.
Why the venom? Seriously.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:59 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:
I realize this is an exchange. The practice I know of stated they won't accept new patients who get their insurance coverage through the ACA.
As I have as well as others, NO PRACTICE can find out where your insurance was purchased from. If you have BC/BS that's all they care about, it's about the money and will they pay the charges.

Quote:
Medicaid patients have had difficulty finding local providers for a long time now. They must be basing this on a reimbursement they feel is too low to accept.
Most doctors I know would go out of business if it was not for Medicare as it makes up the bulk of their practice. In refusing new Medicare patients the main reason is due to an already overloaded practice. Our GP already has 1,100 families that he and his staff sees, they are not accepting any new Medicare patients and in fact are not accepting anybody new.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 AM

I am guessing they will stick with insurance plans that don't participate in the exchange. Medicare is a huge portion of the practice so those patients will continue to be accepted. They are biding their time to see how it all plays out but it will hurt many who will no doubt have to travel farther for health care because this is a very large practice spread over a large geographic area.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 AM

805 posts, read 1,872,845 times
Quote:
I am guessing they will stick with insurance plans that don't participate in the exchange.
You dont seem to be acknowledging GreggT's post.

Quote:
NO PRACTICE can find out where your insurance was purchased from. If you have BC/BS that's all they care about, it's about the money and will they pay the charges.
If the practice has told you differently they are wrong - with the possible exception of Medicaid and Medicare.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Yes, I did. They will know which companies are not participating in the exchange. They can choose to stick with those companies.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:48 AM

129 posts, read 478,173 times
Default obamcare information

Tried to log on today in the insurance market place. It failed. Just a warning for anyone who will select an insurance plz investagate the companies. It is not clear which Doctors and Hospitals are contracted with the insurances on the marketplace. If you just pick and click for a certain ins. company without looking into the company you may have to travel a long way to an office or hospital. If no one can give you information on doctors or hospitals before selecting an insurance co. just what. there is no need to sign up right of way due to the policy will not be in affect unti 1/1/2014

Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I think it will be obvious who purchased through the exchange and who has coverage from an employer, because insurance cards generally say who the employer is.

One of my mom's doctors says she is going to go bankrupt because of the whole thing...she's been telling my mom sob stories about it for a couple of years now. My mom believes everything she hears from doctors and from right wing radio talk shows. I don't see how it's going to change things that much for doctors...the reimbusement rates are already pretty low and my insurance pays my doctor a lot less than I did when I was a cash patient.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM

274 posts, read 705,194 times
Doctors don't have to be a political jerk simply by declining Medicaid patients. If they are fed up with the poor reimbursement, they are have legitimate reasons to decline Medicaid patients to run their practice. But it seems to me that doctors announcing that they won't accept patients through the exchange are doing nothing but putting their political agenda first on their practice and far from achieving anything practical. It's just like putting a sign "If you are cared by Obama, you won't be cared by me" on their door. What a jerk.

That's probably not illegal, but I will be disappointed if many doctors do that (which I doubt). Beyond the law, I try to see people's conscience first. The laws are, after all, subjective. I can imagine, back in old days, some doctors' offices having such signs as "whites only." That was probably not illegal at that time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance