Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times

Advertisements

I took my elderly mother over to our local Publix to get her flu shot (in TN). She is on Medicare and it should be covered. We were told that " Medicare was down" and we could either come back another day (SO difficult to get my Mom to go anywhere, she is in a wheelchair) or pay $55 for the shot.

The Pulbix pharmacist went on further to say that it has been like that for a couple weeks - like every other day - the webiste (I asssume?) that processes Medicare approval or payments - is not operating. They are VERY frustrated. Mine went through to MY private pay insurance company with no trouble.

I don't know why we think the government will be good at running healthcare services.

I think I'd rather get my flu shot from Amazon. At least their website works VERY well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
You can apply for reimbursement. We have and it works.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I took my elderly mother over to our local Publix to get her flu shot (in TN). She is on Medicare and it should be covered. We were told that " Medicare was down" and we could either come back another day (SO difficult to get my Mom to go anywhere, she is in a wheelchair) or pay $55 for the shot.

The Pulbix pharmacist went on further to say that it has been like that for a couple weeks - like every other day - the webiste (I asssume?) that processes Medicare approval or payments - is not operating. They are VERY frustrated. Mine went through to MY private pay insurance company with no trouble.

I don't know why we think the government will be good at running healthcare services.

I think I'd rather get my flu shot from Amazon. At least their website works VERY well!
For the record, our government is not going to be running health care services.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
FWIW - we ran across the same thing with our flu shots at Costco last week here in north Florida. Medicare computer system was down. Costco just said it would run the charge through Medicare when the system was up again - and we paid $0. OTOH - we're regulars at our local Costco pharmacy - and they know us. Don't know if Costco would do this for everyone. FWIW - a flu shot at Costco costs $14.99. Publix is overpriced for a lot of pharma type stuff. Although I'm pretty sure our Publix stores aren't charging $55 or anything like that for regular flu shots. Did you get the "regular" or newer "senior" version of the shot?

Computer systems in the government are - for the most part - an antiquated disgrace.

And quietstormnc - talk to some doctors if you don't think the government has a heavy hand in running health care services (to the extent that it tells doctors what they can/can't should/shouldn't do and/or in the way it pays them). Luckily - on my part - most of my doctors today are pretty happy in their practices (the unhappy ones have mostly quit). The majority are Mayo based - and Mayo runs defense for its doctors like the best defensive line in the NFL. I have a family dermatologist outside Mayo who is happy because most of her work is cosmetic - so she can afford to take some Medicare patients like me for things like routine skin cancer screenings. I have a plastic surgeon who removes an occasional cyst for me - and he's ok with me because the majority of his practice - like that of my dermatologist - is cosmetic. The GI doc who's been doing my colonoscopies for a long time isn't that happy (money is ok - but he dislikes many parts of the "brave new medicine world"). OTOH - he is 62 - and plans to retire at 65. My next colonoscopy may be his last. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 11-05-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 03:45 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
II don't know why we think the government will be good at running healthcare services.

If it bothers you that much, cancel her Medicare (don't want you using our socialized healthcare if government heath care services upset you) and get her a private heath care policy not run by the government. That's the solution, go ahead and do it, that way you won't have anything to worry about!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Actually health insurance was 'born' when the government started mandating what companies could pay workers for certain jobs during WW2. In response, private companies offered health coverage as a fringe benefit, which was not covered by the wage controls.

Whenever the government starts messing around with how much things cost (including health care) things get mucked up. Everything works best in a free market economy.

My mother pays a hefty sum for supplemental insurance as well. And she pays for her Medicare.

Believe it or not, she TRIED to pay for things that Medicare covered and the doctors office had no idea how to process it (she wanted a procedure more often than Medicare allowed, which was every 90 days) They pretty much MADE her charge Medicare.

Will see about being reimbursed . . but if "Medicare is down" - who do you contact?

It was the senior shot that was $55. The "junior" shot was $30 and I have not seen any signs at Costco offering flu shots. Suspect that if "Medicare is down" it would affect ANY place offering flu shots to seniors.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If it bothers you that much, cancel her Medicare (don't want you using our socialized healthcare if government heath care services upset you) and get her a private heath care policy not run by the government. That's the solution, go ahead and do it, that way you won't have anything to worry about!
I don't think this hasty reply is really addressing the issue as much as pushing party policies. The fact is anything the government has taken over loses money and is run poorly. Show me one entity that the government has excelled beyond private business. Her point, and mine, is that we doubt the government is going to be able to handle the healthcare successfully. Debate that instead of brow beating and being mean spirited.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:04 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I don't think this hasty reply is really addressing the issue as much as pushing party policies. The fact is anything the government has taken over loses money and is run poorly. Show me one entity that the government has excelled beyond private business. Her point, and mine, is that we doubt the government is going to be able to handle the healthcare successfully. Debate that instead of brow beating and being mean spirited.
Yes, the governement is unable to properly run health care, and that is never going to change. If it bothers you and others, just don't use governement healthcare. Complaining about something you ise where you have the ability not to use it is senseless. Drop health care where government has a hand in it and all your concerns are gone!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM

38 posts, read 43,137 times
I work at a Walgreens and we have vouchers for free flu shots for people who do not have insurance/insurance won't pay. Reimbursement should work though, but I would have tried to avoid the process by looking for a place with free flu shots. We are practically handing them out to anyone and everyone!

Old 11-06-2013, 05:52 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
...It was the senior shot that was $55. The "junior" shot was $30 and I have not seen any signs at Costco offering flu shots. Suspect that if "Medicare is down" it would affect ANY place offering flu shots to seniors.
Just FWIW - our Costco doesn't have the "senior" flu shot. Perhaps Costcos in areas with larger senior populations do. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance