Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

I have read how in Europe and many other countries - where health care is available for everyone, and that cost is willingly shared across the population -the belief is that health care is a right and not a privilege. They believe that making health care accessible to the entire population is the proper thing to do in their society.

Here in the US that feeling is not shared across the board, and some feel that it is a privilege which should be treated no differently from any other marketable item that one desires to have. For example... if you want a car it must be purchased individually and the same goes for the associated costs in maintaining it.

How do you feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I don't know that anyone feels that health care is a privilege. In the US we just pay for it differently. It's not free anywhere. Taxes are extremely high in countries that offer "free" health care. Their taxes to cover their health care alone are more than most people in the US pay for ALL taxes paid...

Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't know that anyone feels that health care is a privilege. In the US we just pay for it differently. It's not free anywhere. Taxes are extremely high in countries that offer "free" health care. Their taxes to cover their health care alone are more than most people in the US pay for ALL taxes paid...
Myth.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Myth.
truth....we have had plenty of examples posted on this board and the concensus is that people with Universal health care pay about 15% in taxes to pay for that health care alone. Many countries are paying 50-75% of their gross income in taxes overall....those figured combined with our tax rates and average insurance costs are MUCH higher then what we pay overall.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
I have a family member that lives/works in Spain, and she told me once that the costs of health care were covered under their Social Security. I looked this up and found this:

Percentage of gross paycheck
Reason for contribution Employer Employee Total
Standard 23,6% 4,7% 28,3%
Unemployment* 6,0% 1,6% 7,6%
Other** 2,0% 0,1% 2,1%
Total 31,6% 6,4% 38,0%

Payroll in Spain - social security and work contracts in Spain

It doesn't look that outrageous. But I'll have to ask her next time we talk.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:05 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
I believe that healthcare is a right and never will change my viewpoint on this. No one should have to die just because they can't afford proper insurance or healthcare. And the total taxes they pay in other countries are like 38 to 40 percent. I wouldn't mind paying that much if I knew that I would never become bankrupt over medical bills. This country cares too much about spending everyone's tax dollars on military.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:09 PM

283 posts, read 385,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I believe that healthcare is a right and never will change my viewpoint on this. No one should have to die just because they can't afford proper insurance or healthcare. And the total taxes they pay in other countries are like 38 to 40 percent. I wouldn't mind paying that much if I knew that I would never become bankrupt over medical bills. This country cares too much about spending everyone's tax dollars on military.
I'm not so sure I understand what the military has to do with healthcare? Also, we've seen throughout history, and even recently, that European countries are more than eager to go to war, either in the Middle East or with each other. France and Italy were the largest belligerents against Libya, particularly because of the precious oil contracts.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I have a family member that lives/works in Spain, and she told me once that the costs of health care were covered under their Social Security. I looked this up and found this:

Percentage of gross paycheck
Reason for contribution Employer Employee Total
Standard 23,6% 4,7% 28,3%
Unemployment* 6,0% 1,6% 7,6%
Other** 2,0% 0,1% 2,1%
Total 31,6% 6,4% 38,0%

Payroll in Spain - social security and work contracts in Spain

It doesn't look that outrageous. But I'll have to ask her next time we talk.
38% going just toward "Social Security"....then taxes on top of that (on both sides)??

Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM

283 posts, read 385,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
38% going just toward "Social Security"....then taxes on top of that (on both sides)??
Isn't the profit motive one of the reasons why American healthcare quality far exceeds other countries?

When this question is posed to Single Payer supporters, nebulous statements are evoked such as "we're have the best healthcare quality because...well...America!", rather than thinking through the conclusion logically.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
Isn't the profit motive one of the reasons why American healthcare quality far exceeds other countries?

When this question is posed to Single Payer supporters, nebulous statements are evoked such as "we're have the best healthcare quality because...well...America!", rather than thinking through the conclusion logically.
I don't know about that. In our state, health insurance companies have to be not-for-profit by law. We enjoy the lowest rates around, have access to excellent medical care throughout the state and had a very low incidence of people that truly did not have an insurance plan--and the vast majority of those chose not to have one. Pre ACA we had a very generous state pool plan with sliding scale premiums. Health insurance companies still made a boatload of money, and it is the USA, no reason they should not make money, but because of the not-for-profit status, policy holders were also reaping the benefits of this. MA is similar, low rates, top notch medical care, etc. I don't think there really is a need to go to a single payer system, which contrary to popular belief, does not really work and it's VERY expensive.

I also think why the US leads the world in medical research and innovation is simply because of our culture and the value we place on medical personnel. They command high salaries and attract the best of the best. It's very difficult to get into medical school and rightly so. Training here is much more extensive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance