Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,019,814 times

Advertisements

Am I correct that I have a few months left to research and decide whether to switch from my current insurance to insurance off the exchange ???

It is hard to find answers online..

I am currently deciding between a job that would provide insurance and a contract type position that would not..
That is why I wanted to wait another few weeks to research & decide..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
If you have current insurance you only need to decide when you no longer have that insurance. If you are working for someone that provides insurance, when that job ends, you sign up for insurance starting when that policy expires..usually at the end of the month.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM

I am talking about deciding on whether to get Obamacare insurance off the exchange to replace my
own private coverage.

Is there a time frame that has to be done in ???

Old 01-10-2014, 09:12 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Am I correct that I have a few months left to research and decide whether to switch from my current insurance to insurance off the exchange ???

That is why I wanted to wait another few weeks to research & decide..
Quote:
I am talking about deciding on whether to get Obamacare insurance off the exchange to replace my own private coverage.

Here's the link you need:

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-key-...-need-to-know/

Last day to enroll is March 31, for coverage beginning May 1.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I am talking about deciding on whether to get Obamacare insurance off the exchange to replace my
own private coverage.

End of March then--or you wait until next fall for the next open enrollment period. Keep in mind, the policy you have is what you get on the exchange. The exchange is simply a website to shop plans from all companies at one time. There is no such thing as an "exchange policy". You don't have to even use the exchange if you do not want to. You can go right to the insurance company websites and get quotes that way too. The only time you need to sign up for a policy on the exchange is if you qualify for a subsidy and want to apply that to your premiums. If your plan is still good now in 2014, it's compliant and while you might find policies at a lower cost or maybe with different features, it doesn't sound like you have to change if you do not want to.

Do a policy comparison on your state exchange site and see if it makes sense to even look into changing. You can get premium quotes pretty easily on the various sites.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:41 AM

I need to compare to see what subsidy I would get and compare my current plan costs to one off the exchange..Having til March is perfect !!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,663 times
If you are eligible for a subsidy, you MUST apply no later than March 15th on the federal marketplace for your coverage to start April 1st. That is the last time you can apply for coverage to start in 2014 with a subsidy.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I need to compare to see what subsidy I would get and compare my current plan costs to one off the exchange..Having til March is perfect !!
Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

You can get an estimate what your subsidy would be and see if you need to bother. Unless you make less than $30,000-35,000, the subsidy isn't going to be anything great--you sound like you are young/single. I just helped a friend quote out her step-mom who refuses to get health insurance --50 year old female and in her area she would have gotten a $34/year subsidy on her 40,000/income. Above that it was nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance