Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times

Advertisements

Had my check-up with my new internist today. He was ultra-thourough, unlike the old doc! The check-up took ONE HOUR and he asked a ton of questions and was genuinely interested in my answers! Got a a referral to a orthopedist, too, for my wonky knee.
This level of care was not made available to me in my uninsured days. It's like the old doc saw me coming, reminded herself "no health insurance, " and gave me the Grade Z level of care. Not anymore, friends!
And the cost to me of today's super-comprehensive check-up?
ZERO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Had my check-up with my new internist today. He was ultra-thourough, unlike the old doc! The check-up took ONE HOUR and he asked a ton of questions and was genuinely interested in my answers! Got a a referral to a orthopedist, too, for my wonky knee.
This level of care was not made available to me in my uninsured days. It's like the old doc saw me coming, reminded herself "no health insurance, " and gave me the Grade Z level of care. Not anymore, friends!
And the cost to me of today's super-comprehensive check-up?
ZERO.
Glad to hear you had a good experience. Nice to see someone post something positive instead of all of the sensational negative attention getting Obamacare headlines the media is languishing in to grab readers or ratings.

An hour is remarkable. Thought that went out with the stone age, but nice and comforting I am sure. Sometimes when you go to see the doctor, you think you need a course in "speed talk" to get everything out before he/she's out the door.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,312 times
My new doctor took almost two hours for my annual exam. This is how it should be! She actually asked questions about my personal life...took the time to get to know me. Very refreshing!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Sounds like you got a good doctor but I'm not sure what it has to do with the ACA?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sounds like you got a good doctor but I'm not sure what it has to do with the ACA?
It's because the OP didn't have insurance before. With ACA, now the OP has insurance. OP mentioned that prior MD visit seemed to be rushed and pondered whether it was because the OP didn't have insurance.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's because the OP didn't have insurance before. With ACA, now the OP has insurance. OP mentioned that prior MD visit seemed to be rushed and pondered whether it was because the OP didn't have insurance.

I have always had health insurance and 98% of the time, my doctor appointments have been extremely rushed. Hour long appointments are not the norm for anyone, insured or not insured. I'm glad that the op found a good doctor and had a positive experience but I don't think it has anything to do with the ACA.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I have always had health insurance and 98% of the time, my doctor appointments have been extremely rushed. Hour long appointments are not the norm for anyone, insured or not insured. I'm glad that the op found a good doctor and had a positive experience but I don't think it has anything to do with the ACA.

You don't know that for certain. Contrary to popular belief, many doctors are very much in favor of the ACA and the reforms it brings. It is possible that this was one of these doctors, and wanted to offer a positive experience to their patient.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:26 PM

modhatter, that was very much the case with this new internist. He was delighted that I'm now insured, along with many other new patients.
Addendum: The internist was astonished that I had *never * had an EKG. I said, "It was never suggested to me." Internist replied, "well, we're going to take care of that right now. You *need* an EKG just as a baseline."
Next thing I knew, I was all electroded up! Now THAT'S service.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:09 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The internist was astonished that I had *never * had an EKG. I said, "It was never suggested to me." Internist replied, "well, we're going to take care of that right now. You *need* an EKG just as a baseline.".
Interesting. My doctor told me (she went to med school in her late 30s; second career) that unless a patient has risk factors for coronary disease, there is no need to do an EKG. (I'd asked her why she never did them since my previous doctor--much older, now retired, and who probably went to med school many decades ago--did them routinely.) A lot seems to have changed in medicine in the past decade in terms of the necessity of certain tests.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM

^ CA4Now, my family history is rife with high blood pressure and strokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance