Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:47 PM

469 posts, read 761,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Is anyone on this thread caught up in the nightmare of this health.gov site refusing to let you purchase a plan because it says you need to apply for Medicade?
If you do not want to sign up for Medicaid, raise the income estimate you provided on the Healthcare.gov site so it's above the Medicaid threshold. The link below states the threshold is $16,105 for one person households in states that accepted Medicaid expansion. Therefore, you could enter $16,200 as your estimated income to stay out of Medicaid. The link also includes the threshold amounts for larger households.

Link: https://www.healthcare.gov/qualifyin...r-costs-chart/

An income just above the Medicaid threshold will qualify for premium subsidies that can be applied to any metal level (bronze, silver) but the cost sharing subsidies that lower your deductible and maximum OOP only apply to Silver plans. You may want to enter various incomes on a website like HealthSherpa.com as a test before going to the official government website to submit an application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 02:08 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
If you do not want to sign up for Medicaid, raise the income estimate you provided on the Healthcare.gov site so it's above the Medicaid threshold. The link below states the threshold is $16,105 for one person households in states that accepted Medicaid expansion. Therefore, you could enter $16,200 as your estimated income to stay out of Medicaid. The link also includes the threshold amounts for larger households.

Link: https://www.healthcare.gov/qualifyin...r-costs-chart/

An income just above the Medicaid threshold will qualify for premium subsidies that can be applied to any metal level (bronze, silver) but the cost sharing subsidies that lower your deductible and maximum OOP only apply to Silver plans. You may want to enter various incomes on a website like HealthSherpa.com as a test before going to the official government website to submit an application.
I don't know if I can do over my application because my first one seems stuck in the system. I went to one of these navigators because I wanted someone who had been trained to help people through the system. This was way back when that website was simply not working hardly at all. This person spent hours trying to get me through the process, but nothing worked that day whatsoever. In hindsight I think the navigator was not the best way to go because she couldn't advise me on anything after this debacle. I finally called the 800 number where I was told that while online it said my application never made it through that was false. I was told my application was processed and denied for subsidies and that I had to apply for Medicade. The navigator took information directly off my tax returns so I don't know if I can start making up false numbers at this point when the real information was previously submitted. I was one of the earliest people trying to sign up because I was losing my current policy. All the pitfalls from those days are what happened to me. If there were people who went through health.gov with no problems they were lucky. it sure wasn't what happened to me.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:21 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
You are correct. The exchanges double-check the numbers w/filed tax returns. So, you really can't make up numbers. Even if you get away with it now, when your tax return is filed, IRS will determine your subsidies were based on inaccurate information, and want repayment.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:41 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You are correct. The exchanges double-check the numbers w/filed tax returns. So, you really can't make up numbers. Even if you get away with it now, when your tax return is filed, IRS will determine your subsidies were based on inaccurate information, and want repayment.
That's what I thought. Trying to submit false numbers would be akin to fraud. It will catch up to you sooner or later.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If your 2015 income estimate is more than 10% different than your 2013 tax return filed in early 2014, you have 90 days to submit a reason and/or documentation. This gives one plenty of time to sign up at a temp agency and submit the agreement as documentation.

You repay a portion of your subsidy when your 2015 actual income is greater than the estimate submitted. You are allowed to update your income estimate throughout the year to prevent this from happening.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I don't know if I can start making up false numbers at this point when the real information was previously submitted.
I didn't say submit false numbers. There is no free lunch. You have to EARN your way off Medicaid like the person in this article.

"While there are steep fines for knowingly lying on a government application for financial assistance, if someone merely miscalculates their income above the poverty level, and is later found to have made less than the poverty level, they won’t have to pay any money back, according to the Treasury Department."

Source/example: For those too poor to qualify for Obamacare, a tax 'loophole' may help | Florida Health Watch

Old 12-14-2014, 11:53 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
I didn't say submit false numbers. There is no free lunch. You have to EARN your way off Medicaid like the person in this article.

"While there are steep fines for knowingly lying on a government application for financial assistance, if someone merely miscalculates their income above the poverty level, and is later found to have made less than the poverty level, they won’t have to pay any money back, according to the Treasury Department."

Source/example: For those too poor to qualify for Obamacare, a tax 'loophole' may help | Florida Health Watch
Right, and I just fell off the Christmas tree. Sounds to me all you need to do is LIE. I'd like to see the govt prove you DIDN'T KNOW you wouldn't be earning that extra money.

IRS was deprived of extra $$ to administer ACA issues in the new spending bill. People can say anything. IRS staff can only do so much. I suspect ACA Medicaid fraud won't be on the top of its list.

In other words, your first post IS correct. Just make up the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance