Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 AM

176 posts, read 234,151 times

Advertisements

Good lord no wonder this country is in trouble. Some people have not a clue of simple economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 05:29 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You clearly do not know what you're talking about if you think everyone has a choice. Wal-Mart does not hire everybody who applies. There are those who can not do even that job. There are also those who no one will hire. Going to school isn't a choice for someone who CAN'T AFFORD "affordable" health care. It costs more for school than it does for insurance. Not everybody can just move. Roommates only help if there is room for them. How can you sit there and defend the ACA while at the same time telling someone to get a third job to pay for it? Then if they do (if they can), they lose the subsidy that made it "affordable" in the first place. When will you get that the Affordable Care Act plans are not affordable for too many?

Don't misunderstand me, by the way. I am a big supporter of Obamacare, but I can acknowledge that the system is broken. It needs fixing badly.
I very much understand what I am talking about, and all you have given are excuses. Going to school for someone that can't afford health insurance will likely be free, INCLUDING health insurance coverage through the school. No, Walmart doesn't hire everyone and if someone isn't employable, they have no income, so health insurance is free for them, including no or VERY low out of pocket costs. You find a way if you need to and your rant just proves my point. I never said it was easy, but there IS a way out if you really wanted a better life. Health insurance is as affordable as you make it. Way back when before the ACA, probably before you were even born, we all had roommates, worked 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, etc. This is not a new concept, however, it's flown out the door with the current generation who just do not understand how you get through life.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:15 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I very much understand what I am talking about, and all you have given are excuses. Going to school for someone that can't afford health insurance will likely be free, INCLUDING health insurance coverage through the school. No, Walmart doesn't hire everyone and if someone isn't employable, they have no income, so health insurance is free for them, including no or VERY low out of pocket costs. You find a way if you need to and your rant just proves my point. I never said it was easy, but there IS a way out if you really wanted a better life. Health insurance is as affordable as you make it. Way back when before the ACA, probably before you were even born, we all had roommates, worked 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, etc. This is not a new concept, however, it's flown out the door with the current generation who just do not understand how you get through life.
Not one of my points was an excuse. Not one. Why isn't everyone happily unemployed, or under employed since everything is free? HINT: it's not free. Some people can take advantage of some programs, but they are not available to everyone. What about those in the middle who make too much to qualify for help (subsidy) but not enough to pay for it themselves? I know someone working 3 jobs whose income will affect the subsidies they qualified for earlier with two jobs. Healthcare.gov also counts their 16 year olds fast food income. Now they have a choice: inform healtlhcare.gov and have to pay it all back now, or pay a huge tax bill in 2016. The problem is if they do it now, they'll have to give up luxuries like eating, or paying rent. Wonderful choices to have aren't they? They may face the food or rent issue at tax time, but they're crossing their fingers that something good will happen between now and tax time. Before Obamacare, they were able to cover their whole family. There are no known free programs for them. Should the one with three jobs take a 4th job? Work 30 hours a day?

Old 10-21-2015, 05:59 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
Health Insurance, particularly for the unsubsidized is much more expensive than in the past. Over just the past decade, insurance premiums have tripled or even quadrupled. BTW the schools no longer provide insurance. Those old cheap plans that worked for so many people were not ACA compatible, so they were eliminated.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Health Insurance, particularly for the unsubsidized is much more expensive than in the past. Over just the past decade, insurance premiums have tripled or even quadrupled. BTW the schools no longer provide insurance. Those old cheap plans that worked for so many people were not ACA compatible, so they were eliminated.
Yes, many, many colleges do offer plans, but for those that don't, if you don't have any income you don't pay premiums....

Old 10-22-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Not one of my points was an excuse. Not one. Why isn't everyone happily unemployed, or under employed since everything is free? HINT: it's not free. Some people can take advantage of some programs, but they are not available to everyone. What about those in the middle who make too much to qualify for help (subsidy) but not enough to pay for it themselves? I know someone working 3 jobs whose income will affect the subsidies they qualified for earlier with two jobs. Healthcare.gov also counts their 16 year olds fast food income. Now they have a choice: inform healtlhcare.gov and have to pay it all back now, or pay a huge tax bill in 2016. The problem is if they do it now, they'll have to give up luxuries like eating, or paying rent. Wonderful choices to have aren't they? They may face the food or rent issue at tax time, but they're crossing their fingers that something good will happen between now and tax time. Before Obamacare, they were able to cover their whole family. There are no known free programs for them. Should the one with three jobs take a 4th job? Work 30 hours a day?
Yes, they are excuses and yes, college to someone with no income will be free (maybe some student loans down the road) but with financial aid, you will have no immediate out of pocket costs at most of the thousands of colleges across the country. Feel free to pick schools in your area, run the net price calculators on no income/no assets and see for yourself.

As for your friends....if they are working 3 jobs each, and their child is earning an income, say at $9/hour for 50 hours/week times 2 people, that is about $46,000/year, plus maybe $5000 from the kid. That is still well within subsidy range for a family of 3. Also, there are MANY places in the US where earning $40K/year will give them a very, very comfortable lifestyle, not fancy, but certainly not a choice between eating and paying rent lifestyle....and that 40K can be earned by 2 people working full time retail so its not out of the question to do that just about everywhere.

When you give reasons for not doing something, that is an excuse. They have choices and from what you are saying, they live in an area where they cannot afford to live. That is their choice. I'm sorry you can't see the difference.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:56 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
At some point though, working more and more hours just to be able to afford higher and higher premiums for very limited and high deductible insurance is just not worth it.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:47 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Yes, they are excuses and yes, college to someone with no income will be free (maybe some student loans down the road) but with financial aid, you will have no immediate out of pocket costs at most of the thousands of colleges across the country. Feel free to pick schools in your area, run the net price calculators on no income/no assets and see for yourself.

As for your friends....if they are working 3 jobs each, and their child is earning an income, say at $9/hour for 50 hours/week times 2 people, that is about $46,000/year, plus maybe $5000 from the kid. That is still well within subsidy range for a family of 3. Also, there are MANY places in the US where earning $40K/year will give them a very, very comfortable lifestyle, not fancy, but certainly not a choice between eating and paying rent lifestyle....and that 40K can be earned by 2 people working full time retail so its not out of the question to do that just about everywhere.

When you give reasons for not doing something, that is an excuse. They have choices and from what you are saying, they live in an area where they cannot afford to live. That is their choice. I'm sorry you can't see the difference.
It's like talking to a brick wall. You keep saying someone with no options has some, but the reality is that they don't. Saying someone who is trapped, yelling for help, is just making excuses is heartless and mean spirited.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:04 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
It's like talking to a brick wall. You keep saying someone with no options has some, but the reality is that they don't. Saying someone who is trapped, yelling for help, is just making excuses is heartless and mean spirited.
I don't know if this would help you, but we joined a Christian healthcare sharing ministry. You can choose your level of contribution and you are exempt from the fine/penalty.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:08 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Shopping for a new individual purchased plan again as my old plan, a co op founded by ACA grant money went out of business. Trying to get a HSA compatible plan but so far no luck. A big problem for me under ACA is mindset of the purchasers. Because I am a sole proprietor and it is just myself in the "business", under ACA rules I can't purchase from the "business" or SHOP exchange. Instead I am forced to purchase from the Individual exchange or the directly sold from the insurance company plans for individuals (which are identical to the exchange plans). Problem is so many folks on individual plans get subsidy money and lowered deductions that they have destroyed the market/demand for HSA compatible individual plans. Sucks being forced into this category of purchasers that have nothing in common with my insurance needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance