Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Medicare will start paying doctors for end-of-life conversations —reviving the misunderstood provision that gave rise to the “death panel” fears that nearly sank the national health reform law.

The policy shift comes six years after former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s wild charges of “death panels” triggered widespread hysteria over fears that bureaucrats might begin to withhold medical care from older Americans. Polls show the charges stuck, and the fury in the summer of 2009 nearly derailed Obamacare and created fears that have shadowed the law ever since.

Read more: Medicare will pay doctors for end-of-life talks with patients - Erin Mershon - POLITICO

Old 07-11-2015, 05:40 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Medicare will start paying doctors for end-of-life conversations —reviving the misunderstood provision that gave rise to the “death panel” fears that nearly sank the national health reform law.

The policy shift comes six years after former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s wild charges of “death panels” triggered widespread hysteria over fears that bureaucrats might begin to withhold medical care from older Americans. Polls show the charges stuck, and the fury in the summer of 2009 nearly derailed Obamacare and created fears that have shadowed the law ever since.

Read more: Medicare will pay doctors for end-of-life talks with patients - Erin Mershon - POLITICO

I can certainly recall many herein buying into Ms. Palin's argument. As I pointed out back then, my father underwent the 'end of life' counseling back in 2008 (I forget how much he paid, but a couple of thousand dollars).

It involved meeting with his doctor(s), hospice care workers, medical equipment suppliers, and I think the funeral home. Arrangements were made and finalized.

Then, when my father reached his last days in July 2009, everything sprang into action (hospice care, etc). He was able to die at home in his own bed, receiving the necessary end-of-life care. It made things much easier for my mother and the rest of us.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:32 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

You are being Grubered Again. The "death panel" has always been about the Independent Payment Advisory Board:

Independent Payment Advisory Board

Old 07-11-2015, 08:45 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Patient: So, I'm going to die eventually?
Doctor: Yes, we all do.....Anything else?....That'll be $3,000 for this very affordable consultation made possible to you by Obamacare.

Obviously....

Mircea

Old 07-11-2015, 08:47 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
You are being Grubered Again. The "death panel" has always been about the Independent Payment Advisory Board:

Independent Payment Advisory Board
Indeed.

Some people just don't get it.

Paneling...

Mircea

Old 07-11-2015, 09:01 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Patient: So, I'm going to die eventually?
Doctor: Yes, we all do.....Anything else?....That'll be $3,000 for this very affordable consultation made possible to you by Obamacare.

Obviously....

Mircea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Indeed.

Some people just don't get it.

Paneling...

Mircea
You are the one who doesn't get it. You may be informed as to what your end of life choices are, but many others are not. For them, end of life counseling can save the patient and his/her family unnecessary anguish and expenses.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:04 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I can certainly recall many herein buying into Ms. Palin's argument. As I pointed out back then, my father underwent the 'end of life' counseling back in 2008 (I forget how much he paid, but a couple of thousand dollars).

It involved meeting with his doctor(s), hospice care workers, medical equipment suppliers, and I think the funeral home. Arrangements were made and finalized.

Then, when my father reached his last days in July 2009, everything sprang into action (hospice care, etc). He was able to die at home in his own bed, receiving the necessary end-of-life care. It made things much easier for my mother and the rest of us.
"So right now what you see is it's squeezing out higher education, you're raising tuitions at the Universtiy of California as rapidly as they can and so the access that used to be available to the middle class or whatever is just rapidly going away. That's a trade-off society is making because of very, very high medical costs, and a lack of willingness to say, you know, is spending a million dollars on that last three months of life for that patient--would it be better to not lay off those 10 teachers, and to make that trade-up in medical costs. But that's called the Death Panel, and you're not supposed to have that discussion." -Bill Gates, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03MZG9vK0W8

And too, I guess you're not supposed to discuss why billions of dollars are wasted iatrogenically disfiguring "consumers" with IUDs, and vaccine-borne cancer viruses, and akathisia and tardive diskinesia inducing psych meds for fake, marketer invented diseases, and wheelchairs for HPV innoculation recipients, and brain-cholesterol stripping statins, and hip replacements and spine fusions du jour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance