Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:35 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,231 times

Advertisements

My grandfathered blue cross health insurance plan costs 62% less than the crappiest plan I can get today.

It's a catastrophic plan for myself, and costs $79 per month, here in los angeles. I'm surprised they didn't hike my premium up even more.

I was curious how much insurance costs, and the cheapest plan I can possibly get costs $210.

Compared to other parts of the country, in miami, I would have to pay $330 for the crappiest plan.

That's money I'd rather save to fill my belly.

Thanks obama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 07:21 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,631 times
Your grandfather is likely on Medicare, which is highly subsidized.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Your grandfather is likely on Medicare, which is highly subsidized.
Tell me this is tongue in cheek? You don't seriously think that's a reference to OP's grandfather?

Old 08-01-2015, 09:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
My grandfathered blue cross health insurance plan costs 62% less than the crappiest plan I can get today.

It's a catastrophic plan for myself, and costs $79 per month, here in los angeles. I'm surprised they didn't hike my premium up even more.

I was curious how much insurance costs, and the cheapest plan I can possibly get costs $210.

Compared to other parts of the country, in miami, I would have to pay $330 for the crappiest plan.

That's money I'd rather save to fill my belly.

Thanks obama?
That sounds very accurate to me. The pre ACA catastrophic policies were about 62% cheaper then the post ACA catastrophic policies. So much for being affordable.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Health insurance has become a huge problem for me, and I even have Medicare, which offers many the least expensive plans and best coverage options available. I was on United Healthcare a couple of years ago, and they disenrolled over 1400 neurologists from their plans, including the neurologist I have seen for years. So I switched to Blue Cross Medicare, and that has also been a major headache. I have had repeated billing problems with them, with labs and the pharmacy billing me for various things that are covered under the plan, saying Blue Cross denied it for all sorts of ridiculous reasons. I got two lab bills for $300, one of which I'm currently fighting with them with. BCBS denied coverage on a flu shot, when it's spelled out as covered in the plan, so I had to fight with them about that.

Now I'm having trouble with them covering two expensive drugs I take. They each cost almost $900/month without insurance coverage. One of them BCBS says doesn't cover it at all, and it covered the drug last year. The other it covered at $85/month for a few months for me, but now the plan is charging me $324, saying I have fallen in the coverage "donut hole." I am currently relying on my neurologist to give me samples until we can figure something else out, because Medicare recipients are not eligible for discount programs due to federal regulations against this. The insurance companies keep saying it's all because of Obamacare. I wonder if that is really the reason or Obamacare is used as a convenient scapegoat for insurance companies to raise rates and offer less to all their recipients. After all, the main people who win with the Obamacare law are the insurance companies, not Americans

Old 08-01-2015, 12:07 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,758,481 times
I made roughly the same amount of money before obamacare came out and was paying around $80 a month for what would be now a bronze package. Today, the amount is nearly $160 a month.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
We help our son...still in school...and his costs $180 a month. Not bad for insurance, but he could not afford to do this with his kitchen job. Not sure how the young working poor are coping. It is what it is.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:34 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,231 times
Here's what I don't get.

Health insurance ponzi scheme has always been designed so that the young, healthy people "subsidized" the older less healthy people.

The problem in the past was that young healthy people did not buy health insurance because most had no need.

Now that health insurance is mostly mandatory, that would mean a ton more young healthy people are now in the mix, and there's more subsidy to go around, right??

So if more people are at the bottom of the ponzi now, why is health insurance for someone my age more than 2x what it was before?
Shouldn't it be cheaper?

Is any age group seeing a discount at all ?

I'm glad I stuck with my grandfathered plan. Didn't realize what a ripoff health insurance was, and I was even bitching about the $79 I'm paying. It's even worse now for everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Health insurance has become a huge problem for me, ........

my dad is about to join medicare, so I understand your pain.

Expensive drugs can go on/off drug formularies, so you may find your drug is suddenly not covered.
Donut hole is typical.

Thank you politicians!

Old 08-01-2015, 03:54 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
The drug companies (not politicians) are in charge of their formularies - I feel your pain (my late husband had a transplant and they denied after yrs. the anti-rejection meds. he'd been taking in favor of generics that came out of India! I think that was a major contribution to his organ failure and death) - But people, instead of blaming politicians, blame the insurance and drug companies!!

Personally, I was able to get on the ACA and it's saving me major $$$$ as opposed to the plan offered through husband's company.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:25 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:

Thanks obama?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I made roughly the same amount of money before obamacare came out and was paying around $80 a month for what would be now a bronze package. Today, the amount is nearly $160 a month.
The main issue is insurance companies are flying blind and can no longer underwrite based on health - and are gambling that the new enrollees don't need major, expensive care. Therefore, everyone's rates go up to compensate.

Quote:
Here's what I don't get.

Now that health insurance is mostly mandatory, that would mean a ton more young healthy people are now in the mix, and there's more subsidy to go around, right??
Wrong. Enrollment for younger, healthier adults has not met expectations. And, new enrollees who previously couldn't get coverage b/c of health issues are big users of their new insurance and, thus, driving up rates. That said, some parts of the country are experiencing 4% increases, other areas - not nearly as many as the internet hyperbole would have you believe - have hiked their premiums 30-50%.

Here's a sane analysis of where premiums are going for 2016:

http://kff.org/health-reform/issue-b...-marketplaces/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance