Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:29 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I have been thinking about becoming a "snowbird" more or less moving around the entire east on the rivers. One thing that concerns me is health insurance. All this "in network", out of network B.S. has me worried.

Are there any health insurance policies that offer coverage anywhere in the U.S. ? What do people like truck drivers and migratory workers do for health insurance?
Yes, all the health insurance coverage we've ever had are nationwide. It is only those very cheap limited plans that restrict you to the state you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 08:58 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
^ Emphatically not true. Most plans these days are PPO, often with networks that are regional only. If you understand health care billing, you would realize that the out of network option in a PPO is usually cost prohibitive.

"National" BC/BS is a curious beast, since BC/BS is now a collection of independent plans that are members of the national BC/BS association. As one moves from area to area, one is subject to the rules of the local affiliate, as well as the terms of the plan to which they slot you. I recently went from one affiliate to another and in the process went from a PPO to an HMO with a more restrictive network. Remember that each affiliate has a multitude of plans, each with different terms.

Used to be that one could buy true nationwide indemnity plans. Not sure if they exist anymore.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:24 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ Emphatically not true. Most plans these days are PPO, often with networks that are regional only. If you understand health care billing, you would realize that the out of network option in a PPO is usually cost prohibitive.

"National" BC/BS is a curious beast, since BC/BS is now a collection of independent plans that are members of the national BC/BS association. As one moves from area to area, one is subject to the rules of the local affiliate, as well as the terms of the plan to which they slot you. I recently went from one affiliate to another and in the process went from a PPO to an HMO with a more restrictive network. Remember that each affiliate has a multitude of plans, each with different terms.

Used to be that one could buy true nationwide indemnity plans. Not sure if they exist anymore.
Is that only if you (officially) change residency? And re: the PPO to HMO - Is that because the affiliate did not have a PPO? Thanks.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:56 AM

Did not change residency. Was temporarily in another state.

I am now a federal retiree FEHB offers a "national fee for service plan" through BC/BS. If you read the full plan description, you find out (1) it is not FFS (2) it is structured as a PPO and (3) services are provided through whatever affiliate covers the location you're seeking service in. So to fully understand it, I would have needed to gather much more information. I chose a different plan.

Keep in mind that fed retirees subscribe to the same plans as active employees.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:29 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Did not change residency. Was temporarily in another state.

I am now a federal retiree FEHB offers a "national fee for service plan" through BC/BS. If you read the full plan description, you find out (1) it is not FFS (2) it is structured as a PPO and (3) services are provided through whatever affiliate covers the location you're seeking service in. So to fully understand it, I would have needed to gather much more information. I chose a different plan.

Keep in mind that fed retirees subscribe to the same plans as active employees.
I have a BCBS EPO national plan through the State of Maryland (same plan offered to active employees). When I was planning on spending my summers in NH, I confirmed that my plan was accepted by the local hospitals and practitioners. The reason for my question regarding residency is that it is possible that one day I may spend half my time in NH or another location.

As of February, my current retiree plan will be secondary to Medicare. I am seriously considering adding a Hi Deductible F plan (in addition to my BCBS plan). I'd rather pay the extra $30 or so bucks "just in case." I do NOT want to find myself in a position where I need the Medigap but might not qualify outside of my initial open enrollment (unless I move to another state with more options). Ugh.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:55 AM

^ your plan in NH will no doubt be administered by Anthem, using their network under their rules. Your plan may be different from my choices, read carefully to be sure of what you get.

You should also read up on SEP. As I recall, significant changes in employer provided retiree health insurance trigger a SEP.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,423 times
What is this corporate bullsh**!? Its like every state is its own individual country or something. The EU has better laws than the UNITED states does. This isnt a united country or every damb insurance would be honored in every damb state. The ONLY insurance coverage even available should BE nationwide coverage, bc WE ARE A SINGLE UNITED NATION. ALL of it, including medicaid. If you travel and need to see a dr, and fill your meds, gees...IT SHOULDNT BE EASIER OVERSEAS! THIS COUNTRY IS MADE UP OF A BUNCH OF TRULY STUPID IDIOTS AND WE ARE NOT THE SMARTEST COUNTRY IF SOMEONE LOSES ACCESS TO THEIR HEALTH CARE SIMPLY BC THEY WENT TO SEE THE GRAND CANYON. THE IDIOCY OF THIS COUNTRY IS SHOCKING AND PANIC ATTACK INDUCING. That most of the people writing these nonsense rules and legislations are 8th grade level readers, is proof enough. Insurances should be full faith and credit, nationwide. End of discussion.

The best solution would be to get healthcare out of the state's hands. The state legislatures are too stupid and too rebellious to think about the better welfare of a nations citizenry on any vast subject such as health care. Healthcare is too big a problem for states to handle, and they are biased toward policy centricities that hurt healthcare. ie the ludicrous rule of needing to be tethered to a locality. Yea, thats freedom. Good grief. State healthcare systems hurt certain people demographics, such as rvers, whereas federal medicare does not. We need healthcare out of the states hands. Medicare works fine, but its the local dhhs departments that really, scarily, screw things up

The NATION'S health care should NOT be given to the states to handle. It isnt a state problem. Its a national problem...as this article is proving.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:19 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Katajojo, it is only going to get worse. Check out stories like this one:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.02e8d91d462b

Old 02-06-2019, 03:33 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
I'm bumping this thread because I have the same question.

I have Blue Shield of California/PPO, and they no longer offer coverage for out-of-state medical procedures (unless it's an emergency). My issue is that I have a bad hip and had planned to get my hip replaced in NYC at the Hospital for Special Surgery. I had a consultation there in 2017, and at that time, my insurance covered services at that hospital (and many of the orthopedic surgeons there accepted my insurance as well). I had planned to schedule the surgery for sometime in 2018, but I didn't because of personal scheduling issues. And then I received a notice from Blue Shield late last year saying that they would no longer cover out-of-state medical services! Bummer!

So, my question is, is there any type of supplemental insurance or any type of individual plan that I can purchase that covers out-of-state care (surgery)? Obviously, even if I find one that does there is no guarantee that the NYC hospital will accept that insurance (so there is that possibility). But so far, I can't seem to find any individual plan that offers national coverage.

Does anyone know of any such plan?

Obviously, I can have the surgery done locally (I live in the Los Angeles area, so many great surgeons can be found out here). But HSS is such a highly-rated institution with some very top-notch orthopedic surgeons that I would love to have the surgery there if possible.

If anyone has any recommendations or insight, I would appreciate it!

Thanks

Jason

Old 10-21-2019, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 417 times
Default Out of state health insurance scam

While major health insurance companies claim they offer out of state service it is a scam. They only will cover you in the emergency room. If the emergency room doctors refer you to a different office or department of the hospital it will not be covered regardless of if they are in network doctors. If you are out of state DO NOT under any circumstances visit a doctor outside of the emergency room. Let the insurance scum pay the outrageous prices of the ER operations. Unless of course you want to get tacked with an $85,000 bill like they just did to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance