Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:50 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How does this fine apply to those who just simply cant afford to pay for healthcare coverage?
You pay the fine period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I've been in the position before, I took a 3rd job before I went without health insurance. If you read my post, I said there was help for those that truly could not afford insurance vs those choosing not to "afford".

Unless you damage someone else's car....or worse, hurt someone else.....
“We see it as an entrepreneurial bill,” Pelosi said, “a bill that says to someone, if you want to be creative and be a musician or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.”

-- Nancy Pelosi

Yep Nancy, my insurance went from $450 a month ($2,500 deductible) pre-Obamacare to over $800 a month ($5k deductible) post Obamacare. As an entrepreneur, you lied!

Old 01-08-2016, 04:41 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,124,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
“We see it as an entrepreneurial bill,” Pelosi said, “a bill that says to someone, if you want to be creative and be a musician or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.”

-- Nancy Pelosi

Yep Nancy, my insurance went from $450 a month ($2,500 deductible) pre-Obamacare to over $800 a month ($5k deductible) post Obamacare. As an entrepreneur, you lied!
If this person is not working, makes no money or makes very little money, they would not be paying $800/month in premiums, nor would they be paying $5000 out of pocket. If this person is you, why didn't you apply for subsidies????

Old 01-08-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
If this person is not working, makes no money or makes very little money, they would not be paying $800/month in premiums, nor would they be paying $5000 out of pocket. If this person is you, why didn't you apply for subsidies????
I am an entrepreneur and doubled healthcare premium and deductible cost is what ACA gets you. Nice huh, you take on huge debt and responsibilities way beyond punching a time clock, employ people and you get to pay for the people who don't work. Thats so encouraging lol.

Unless of course you start a business that stays within the poverty level. Anyone can do that.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,819,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
I've paid for auto insurance for years and never had an accident.
I've paid for health insurance for years and never had to be hospitalized.
I feel that insurance should be adjusted in terms of premiums based upon health and usage. I don't feel that I received a good return on paying 10's of thousands of dollars on health insurance over the past 40 years. A huge portion of the premium goes to the agent for commissions - true I know people in the insurance industry.
And the one time you get into a car accident, where it's clearly the other guy's fault and HE doesn't have insurance...
is the one time you'll be glad YOU paid a premium for insurance.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:00 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
...which is a complete gamble.

Of COUSE life is cheaper without many of its aspects: children, taxes, owning property, auto insurance, taking care of an elderly relative, etc, etc.
So is letting everybody who does have health insurance pick up the tab for your medical bills if you have a medical emergency, are uninsured, and can't pay the $100k it takes to save your life ... by paying higher insurance premiums and higher out-of-pocket costs for hospitals, ambulances, doctors, etc.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:48 AM

14,426 posts, read 14,348,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I am an entrepreneur and doubled healthcare premium and deductible cost is what ACA gets you. Nice huh, you take on huge debt and responsibilities way beyond punching a time clock, employ people and you get to pay for the people who don't work. Thats so encouraging lol.

Unless of course you start a business that stays within the poverty level. Anyone can do that.
My understanding is that you qualify for a subsidy if your family income is less than about $90,000 a year. I assume your business income is more than this? In essence you complain about having to pay about $9,600 a year for decent health insurance which covers more than your old plan would have.

One of the problems we have in this country is that a lot of people who were self-employed chose--prior to the ACA--to either have no insurance or bare bones policies that didn't cover much of anything. They simply planned on paying cash--or filing bankruptcy if they got sick. The people who seem to be most upset by the ACA here on this forum are self-employed types. I'd honestly like to know what their insurance arrangement was before the ACA. I bet I am right.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:43 PM

26,764 posts, read 26,890,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
When we went on COBRA.....BEFORE the ACA was even a law.....we paid over $1300 per month for TWO people in SC.
Agreed. We had a COBRA policy for a year back in the mid 1980s....it cost almost 2 1/2 times what our insurance policy had cost under an employer.

Quote:
As far as prices going up, they were going up by leaps and bounds BEFORE the ACA went into effect. Had been for years. The insurance companies are just using the ACA as a scapegoat and telling everybody that it's the fault of someone else (the government) because prices are going up. But hey, they don't want to appear greedy, so they blame it on the ACA. If you want to blame someone, blame the top executives of the health insurance companies who are greed personified. Maybe it's time that THEY take a bit of a paycut, so that our rates don't go up. Yeah, like THAT'S going to happen.
Is that ever the truth.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:45 PM

26,764 posts, read 26,890,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
One of the problems we have in this country is that a lot of people who were self-employed chose--prior to the ACA--to either have no insurance or bare bones policies that didn't cover much of anything. They simply planned on paying cash--or filing bankruptcy if they got sick.
Not true. The self employed pay through the nose for an individual policy....did long before the ACA, and continue to pay much more than those covered through an employer.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:50 PM

7,969 posts, read 9,183,974 times
Well Mark as a self employed person who has purchased his own insurance for the past almost 20 years I can tell you that I was able to purchase insurance as an individual via a group association from a major health insurer, something I can no longer do. Now I am stuck with psuedo exchange plans ( I don't buy from the exchange but the non exchange plans for individuals are the exact same plans in my area). I also find it harder to get an HSA compatible plan because 85% of purchasers of exchange plans can't even afford premiums, so most insurers in my area have scrapped HSA compatibility in lieu of 2 free MD visits.

I miss the choices I had prior to ACA. I hate being stuck purchasing crap insurance designed for the masses who are financially illiterate and create demand for such poor policies. I would much be better able to design/purchase a plan that better suits my financial wants/needs. I already pay enough taxes in my state to provide medicaid and CHIP plans to some many people. Why didn't other states do this before? Wouldn't have needed this ACA monstrosity if states did what was right.

But ACA is unsustainable. Cadillac tax has been delayed further, creating a deficit in anticipated revenue to pay for ACA. What happens to the premiums then? Why aren't subsidy levels tied to cost of living in area as is done in Medicare?

This system will just implode as more people find the penalty to be the better choice. A family making 100K (just above subsidy levels) can easily see expenses in premiums and deductible of opver 20% of their income before a penny in sick care is covered by an insurer. That 100K family is already barely getting by in NYC area due to highest cost of living in country and insane taxes. When is the limit reached where you just roll the dice and go bare? 30% of income to health insurance? 40%? How does that large expense preclude you from buying a home, paying for childcare or saving for retirement? ACA does NOTHING to address this. If you are not subsidized, ACA has no limits on max percentage of income you will spend on healthcare. Basically you are the piggy bank for the subsidized, making your insurance more expensive than it was pre ACA.

Sorry for the rant, but those who get their insurance via their jobs have no idea of the cost of buying individual insurance now. My premiums have gone up over 500% since I started 20 years ago, with NO discernible relief due to ACA implementation because I am one of the 15% of individuals who are paying full price for their insurance. We are the ones who have no voice in this because we are such a small minority in this country.

Hopefully something can be done, but I am not optimistic. Subsidized folks are well represented as are the workers with great plans who got Cadillac plan tax delayed (and most likely permanently removed). Non subsidized folks are still the forgotten ones with no relief in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance