Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 11:14 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
Do any of you mind telling me the cost you pay for Liberty, and what City you are from?
Info is here:

https://www.libertyhealthshare.org/3-program-options

Because Liberty has no provider networks and does not guarantee payment to a particular provider, region isn't as an issue as with other insurers. If you've read this thread, you should know Liberty will negotiate with the provider. Some will accept their payment as full reimbursement, others won't.

Given the current ridiculous premiums and unaffordable deductibles, if I was under 65 I'd choose Liberty or a similar plan through a Health Ministry and take my chances. Premiums are very low and deductibles not a serious issue.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:26 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,784,127 times
Anyone know how to find their fee schedule?

Old 08-28-2019, 11:37 AM

5,183 posts, read 3,103,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
Do any of you mind telling me the cost you pay for Liberty, and what City you are from?
My wife and I (ages 64 & 60) have been members for four years. We initially paid $299 a month with a $1000 deductible. Last year the rate increased to $399 a month with a $1750 deductible. Still a bargain compared to unsubsidized ACA plans.

That said I admit we are a bit concerned about some of the recent complaints regarding delayed payments. Last year I had an incident while traveling and the bills were over $8000. Liberty did eventually negotiate and pay all except the deductible, but some bills took over 90 days to settle. One doctor refused to negotiate his ridiculous billing (equivalent to $5K/ hour) and balance billed me for the difference. That went round and round and Liberty finally paid the SOB, but he was black listed (he probably doesn’t care).

Old 08-28-2019, 11:43 AM

Still a no-brainer, imo. For profit insurers are 4-5x as expensive, much higher deductibles, and hardly hassle-free. Plus, their networks. 90 days for a doc to wait for payment isn't a biggee. I had a Medicare Advantage plan that didn't pay doc for a year. At least Liberty is persistent in working "for" you. Not true of other insurers whom you have to fight to get to pay. Our health insurance system is upside down.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:07 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Still a no-brainer, imo. For profit insurers are 4-5x as expensive, much higher deductibles, and hardly hassle-free. Plus, their networks. 90 days for a doc to wait for payment isn't a biggee. I had a Medicare Advantage plan that didn't pay doc for a year. At least Liberty is persistent in working "for" you. Not true of other insurers whom you have to fight to get to pay. Our health insurance system is upside down.
Yes, this is what got to me the most and ultimately what made me decide to sign up for LHS. The whole insurance system is a conflict of interest, as far as I'm concerned. They sell themselves as working for you, but must work against you in order to maximize their bottom line and satisfy their investors.

With Liberty, their overhead is paid from 10% of the shares income. The remaining 90% goes to paying members' bills. No profits to maximize or investors to satisfy by trying to deny members their benefits — just redistributing money from a pool of members to pay health professionals for their services at their self-pay rates.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:54 PM

Update: Despite earlier good comments on Liberty, it appears, based on countless complaints in December alone, that Liberty is no longer reliable. They blame their issues on too fast growth and change in software, but one comment on the BBB site states a company rep said claim would be paid when "they have the money" - i.e., this means cash flow problem. When I hear "cash flow problem," I think bankruptcy. For now, until we hear things have turned around, remove Liberty as a possible option to traditional health insurance.

It would appear because Liberty functioned so well for a few years, far too many have enrolled in the past two years and premiums have not been sufficient to meet claims. For at least the past six months, if not longer, they are processing virtually nothing and lying to claimants.

https://www.bbb.org/us/oh/canton/pro...475/complaints

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news...nts/ar-AAGj9Vs

This is more than a software issue.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-02-2020 at 06:46 PM..

Old 01-03-2020, 08:20 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,358,874 times
I have received two emails from Liberty in the past couple of weeks. It seems they have brought in some new people to address the issues they are having.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:11 PM

The sudden departure of CEO Larry Foster last October after barely a year on the job was indeed a bad sign, and I hope they can get things straightened out. My last share request/reimbursement was back in April 2018 and it took about 90 days to process. Oddly enough, they actually reimbursed me twice for the same bill and when I called about the extra check the phone rep told me to cash it! I had to argue with them to admit they had made a mistake.

When we started with Liberty they were sharing $1.4M per month, and the number today is over $30M. That kind of rapid growth is tough to manage and their bet on a technology solution did not pay off.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 PM

6,155 posts, read 4,531,061 times
I think they're mentioned in this article and I wouldn't sign up. I'd hold those monthly payments and work things out for myself first:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/christian...200512161.html

Old 01-04-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I think they're mentioned in this article and I wouldn't sign up. I'd hold those monthly payments and work things out for myself first:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/christian...200512161.html
It’s a NYT article...with all the appropriate baggage. Factually correct but slanted, almost as though it was edited by insurance company lobbyists. Over the past 45 years I’ve had both traditional health insurance (personal and employer) and coverage through a health sharing ministry (Liberty). Under these various companies, bills being paid was never a certainty, and I’ve had situations where I found myself in the middle of a billing dispute. I’m under no illusion that the coverage offered by Liberty is “insurance” and has no limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.