Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 06:55 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
"But some of the GOP proposals to replace Obamacare would hit middle-class Americans right in the wallet, according to several health care experts, employer groups and even a few Republican lawmakers. At issue is the longstanding tax exclusion for employer-sponsored health insurance, more than $250 billion that Americans who receive insurance from their jobs don’t pay in federal income or payroll taxes annually"

“It’s a tax no matter what you call it, and it’s clearly on the people who ultimately pay the taxes, which is, in this case, employees,” he said. “Politically, it’s a real loser. Conceptually, it’s a really good idea.”

GOP?s Obamacare plan could cost middle class billions in taxes on coverage from employers* | Health Care | Dallas News
Well, it's part of a conservative philosophy that American's can't be trusted to receive good health care because they will just overuse it. I'm not sure how many people intentionally get diabetes or heart disease, or break their leg because they have great insurance maybe I just need to find a conservative who can explain that to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:01 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How will that work, employers will simply quit providing insurance to their employees or they will pass the increased costs on to their employees, in either case it's real clear that it's only going to impact the middle class, probably significantly. I don't know what these people are thinking?
GOP?s Obamacare plan could cost middle class billions in taxes on coverage from employers* | Health Care | Dallas News

I'm hoping that there are enough sane Senators left that this would never pass.
If you read the article in your link it says cap on employer's plan above $30,000 a year. So there is a cap. It's the same as Cadillac tax on Obamacare.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
If you read the article in your link it says cap on employer's plan above $30,000 a year. So there is a cap. It's the same as Cadillac tax on Obamacare.
No, actually what it says is this:

Price’s bill would limit the exclusion to $8,000 for individual policies and $20,000 for families.
Another GOP proposal, from Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch and North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr, proposes capping the exclusion at $12,000 for individuals and $30,000 for families. That plan hasn’t been reintroduced in the current Congress.

But why are you trying to make this sound like a good idea, doesn't it bother you that it will replace a tax on device manufacturers and people earning over 250k and dump it right in the laps of teachers, nurses, mechanics and firefighters?

Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
"But some of the GOP proposals to replace Obamacare would hit middle-class Americans right in the wallet, according to several health care experts, employer groups and even a few Republican lawmakers. At issue is the longstanding tax exclusion for employer-sponsored health insurance, more than $250 billion that Americans who receive insurance from their jobs don’t pay in federal income or payroll taxes annually"

“It’s a tax no matter what you call it, and it’s clearly on the people who ultimately pay the taxes, which is, in this case, employees,” he said. “Politically, it’s a real loser. Conceptually, it’s a really good idea.”

I think if you read your link, it's the same as Obamacare's Cadillac tax. Many people from the left, yes it's hard to believe, want a single payer and want government to not give credit to employers plan. So which one is it that you are supporting. I don't hear anybody from the left complain about single payer or universal health care as long as somebody pays for it.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, actually what it says is this:

Price’s bill would limit the exclusion to $8,000 for individual policies and $20,000 for families.
Another GOP proposal, from Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch and North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr, proposes capping the exclusion at $12,000 for individuals and $30,000 for families. That plan hasn’t been reintroduced in the current Congress.

But why are you trying to make this sound like a good idea, doesn't it bother you that it will replace a tax on device manufacturers and people earning over 250k and dump it right in the laps of teachers, nurses, mechanics and firefighters?
The amount I've always read is $30,000 for family. My plan is a lot less than that.
I also though $250k under Hilary was also middle class, so why are we not removing tax for middle class people.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I also though $250k under Hilary was also middle class, so why are we not removing tax for middle class people.
What are you talking about, Hillary did not get elected-didn't you get the memo?

Old 03-05-2017, 07:29 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,147,374 times
No different than Cadillac tax. Money for subsidies have to come from somewhere. The delay of Cadillac tax is part of what made Obamacare unsustainable.

Good that teachers firefighters etc help pay for Healthcare for others. Why should they be exempt from it? After all their unions gave lots of money to help Obama get elected and get Obamacare passed. If you believe in something that strongly, you should be able to put your money where your mouth is.

It will be a precursor towards single payer for them. Their great extraordinary benefits will be gone and they will have to pay a more realistic amount (via payroll taxes) for Healthcare coverage.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I think if you read your link, it's the same as Obamacare's Cadillac tax. Many people from the left, yes it's hard to believe, want a single payer and want government to not give credit to employers plan. So which one is it that you are supporting. I don't hear anybody from the left complain about single payer or universal health care as long as somebody pays for it.
Under single payer you don't have employer based health insurance, it's that simple. But single payer is not the goal here, the goal is to eviscerate employer provided health insurance and replace them with nothing.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:32 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
It's on most article I read from reliable sources.
Here is one from the net.
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...thcare%201.JPG
That's interesting. Did the same source cite the average "employee only" costs?

ETA: Found it. $6,435 for single employee costs and $18,142 for family.

Last edited by lenora; 03-05-2017 at 08:28 PM..

Old 03-05-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
No different than Cadillac tax. Money for subsidies have to come from somewhere. The delay of Cadillac tax is part of what made Obamacare unsustainable.

Good that teachers firefighters etc help pay for Healthcare for others. Why should they be exempt from it? After all their unions gave lots of money to help Obama get elected and get Obamacare passed. If you believe in something that strongly, you should be able to put your money where your mouth is.

It will be a precursor towards single payer for them. Their great extraordinary benefits will be gone and they will have to pay a more realistic amount (via payroll taxes) for Healthcare coverage.
So you think that only union members receive employer paid health insurance? 177.5 million workers in the US have employer paid health insurance. In the entire US there are only 14.8 million union members. Sometimes it's good to fact check pesky little things like that.

And it was not the delay of the Cadillac tax that damaged the ACA, it was the refusal of congress to fund 'risk corridors' that caused most of the rate hikes and exit of several insurers from the marketplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance