Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,477,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
You are referring to Medigap plans not Medicare Advantage plans. Totally different. From CMS: "You can't use (and can't be sold) a Medigap policy while you're in a Medicare Advantage Plan." Just FYI.

In order to be eligible for an Advantage Plan, you have to enroll in Medicare Part B and continue to pay the $134 per month premium. That's IN ADDITION to whatever monthly premium your Advantage Plan charges. Some Advantage Plans pay a part of the Medicare B premium.

From the Medicare site:
How much do Medicare Advantage Plans cost?
In addition to your Part B premium, you usually pay one monthly premium for the
services included in a Medicare Advantage Plan. Each Medicare Advantage Plan has
different premiums and costs for services, so it’s important to compare plans in your
area and understand plan costs and benefits before you join.

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11474.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 02:22 PM

7,529 posts, read 13,667,681 times
First, the premium for a Part C MA plan is in addition to the Original Medicare Part B $134 premium, not instead of. Some Part C MA plans are $0 premium, but are not available everywhere. My Part C premium of $120 is shown as $67 toward Part B medical coverage, and $53 toward Part D Rx coverage.
See https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...#collapse-3135 under Step 1 > Choose MA Plan > How much does it cost
"You usually pay a monthly premium for your MA Plan (in addition to your monthly Part B premium)"

Second, while you may have SEP of 8 months to enroll in Original Medicare Parts A & B, you may only have an SEP of 2 months to enroll in a Part C MA plan
See page 8 of https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11...e-Part-C-D.pdf under Leaving Employer
"You leave coverage from your employer or union > Your chance to join lasts for 2 full months after the month your coverage ends."

Old 03-24-2018, 02:32 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,561,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
First, the premium for a Part C MA plan is in addition to the Original Medicare Part B $134 premium, not instead of. Some Part C MA plans are $0 premium, but are not available everywhere. My Part C premium of $120 is shown as $67 toward Part B medical coverage, and $53 toward Part D Rx coverage.
See https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...#collapse-3135 under Step 1 > Choose MA Plan > How much does it cost
"You usually pay a monthly premium for your MA Plan (in addition to your monthly Part B premium)"

Second, while you may have SEP of 8 months to enroll in Original Medicare Parts A & B, you may only have an SEP of 2 months to enroll in a Part C MA plan
See page 8 of https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11...e-Part-C-D.pdf under Leaving Employer
"You leave coverage from your employer or union > Your chance to join lasts for 2 full months after the month your coverage ends."
I'll enroll in Part B before the 8 months are up and hope I stay healthy. I can't really afford $134 to be deducted from my ss, so I'll just have to hope for the best.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:27 PM

469 posts, read 763,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So I'm researching Medicare Advantage plans. My question is, why is the monthly premium for Medicare Original $134 (which is what I would pay based on my most recent income) but the Humana HMO is only $94 for Part B and a PPO plan offers $71 for Part B, $19 for the plan and $19 for Drug coverage which makes sense since it's a PPO but that's still less than the $134.
Technically, you are still paying the $134 Part B premium but the MA plan rebates a portion back to you. So, in the case of the HMO you pay $134 and get $40 back for a net Part B premium of $94 and a plan premium of $0. It's usually a marketing gimmick to gain market share. There are no guarantees the rebate will continue next year as it can be reduced or eliminated.

Quote:
...some actually rebate part of the Part B premiums to customers.

Source: Medicare: The Hidden Risk of Medicare Advantage Plans | Money

Part B rebate: Some plans pay part of your monthly Part B premium.

Source: Medicare Guide 2018: Health plans with drug coverage | things-to-do | Tampa Bay Times

Old 03-24-2018, 06:09 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,561,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
Technically, you are still paying the $134 Part B premium but the MA plan rebates a portion back to you. So, in the case of the HMO you pay $134 and get $40 back for a net Part B premium of $94 and a plan premium of $0. It's usually a marketing gimmick to gain market share. There are no guarantees the rebate will continue next year as it can be reduced or eliminated.
Thanks. I will definitely check out the links you provided. The ultimate irony is the company I just retired from is a major health insurance company but I can't afford their medicare plans .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance