Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 04:41 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times

Advertisements

The title says it all and it's totally my fault.

My COBRA started October 6th, 2017 and I was able to pay the October premium with a credit card but subsequent months had to be paid with a manual check or an automatic debit from my checking account. Since I bank online, I vaguely remember signing up for the automatic debit. I got a new job on October 30, 2017 and my new company's benefits started November 1.

I didn't see the debit from my checking account on my November statement so I thought I didn't have to do anything to cancel the COBRA and in fact I thought I got a letter telling me that if I didn't pay by a certain date, the COBRA would be canceled. I was just looking at my December bank statement and I saw a transaction that I didn't recognize. Doing some more research, I see that the same amount ($637) was taken twice from my account, once on Nov 1 and again on Dec 1.

I haven't used the insurance and I agree I should have cancelled, but I didn't. Will the insurance company refund this to me? Anything I can say that will sway them if they won't refund?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
You paid for October, November, and December (whether on purpose or by accident).

Question: Did you notify them you were cancelling as of 10/30/17 and would not need insurance after that date? When was your insurance cancelled, for whatever reason?

If your coverage was still active through November, you probably can't ask for a refund for that month, since the month is over, and the company did in fact provide coverage for you during November.

I would think you can get the December payment refunded, since your insurance is cancelled for sure by now (is it?).

In other words, I don't think you can tell an ins. co., after they cover you, that you didn't really need it, so give you your money back. It's too late. They already provided the coverage.

Your account should be online. Any letters they sent you would be there, also. Look at your account online and read that letter. Cancel the insurance immediately & request a refund for December immediately.

I understand how this happened. This was a stressful time for you, with a lot happening. I've been there. Unfortunately, the ins. co. already provided the coverage for you, if you didn't cancel or they didn't cancel you for nonpayment (but you say it was paid). Check your account online to see what the payments were exactly.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the reply, yes it was a stressful time for me. I thought it was cancelled in early November so I didn't look into it further. I will call them tomorrow and ask for a refund, if they only refund December's payment I will have to live with that.

Quote:
they didn't cancel you for nonpayment (but you say it was paid)
It was paid because I do remember (vaguely) setting up my bank draft for it but because I didn't see the November payment come out of my account when I looked last month, I forgot about it. Stupid me!!!

And no, it's not cancelled yet because I even forget the website address I signed up on. I'm still stressed!!!

Old 12-04-2017, 06:50 AM

Follow up-

I called the benefits service center and they said they will refund Nov and Dec, I have to write an email cancelling it and tell them the benefits end date. It seems too easy, but hopefully I'll see my refund check in 30-45 days!

Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
One thing I have learned over the years NEVER let anyone auto draw from my account.

I push money to them, Either as a physical check, or as a payment thru my EBill payment account. (Most EBill Payments are done via EFT), But I control it not them,

Old 12-04-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
One thing I have learned over the years NEVER let anyone auto draw from my account.
Yes, lesson learned!

Old 12-04-2017, 07:16 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,573,689 times
That's why never do automatic payment because once the money is gone, you have to fight for it to get it back. Don't ever trust anyone saying, oh hey, is convenience to enroll in auto pay so you don't get charge late fee. Oh please...I will make my payment on time if I receive my service. Simple as that. I have to review my bill before I just let anyone take my money from my account. Is so stupid how people just enroll in autopay and expect others not to take more than what they should.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:47 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Follow up-

I called the benefits service center and they said they will refund Nov and Dec, I have to write an email cancelling it and tell them the benefits end date. It seems too easy, but hopefully I'll see my refund check in 30-45 days!
Oh, that's WONDERFUL news!!! I'm sure you can use that money. That ins. wasn't cheap. Glad to hear it. I'm sure you'll get the check, if they said they'd give it.

This is what scares me about auto-pay. I don't do it. If I did, it would only be auto-pay from my CREDIT CARD, since that offers me some protection, and I get a chance to review it before actually paying it. But I would never do it from my checking account. Yikes!

Old 12-10-2017, 11:28 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
I do get a small discount with Cricket by doing auto pay. They tell me when they will debit so I am aware. The other autopays are merely conveniences that maybe I should cancel ?

Old 02-13-2018, 07:50 PM

I had to call the insurance company again today. Oh the check is being processed on Feb 15th and will be in the mail shortly after that.

Haha, I have been calling every few weeks. I'm not giving up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance