Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 02:12 PM

32 posts, read 37,034 times

Advertisements

I currently have an AARP/UHC medigap policy in Wisconsin where there are no letter designated plans(A, F, G, N, etc.) Mine is the Basic with Co-pay plan(up to $20 charge for doctor visit) with riders for Part A deductible, Part B excess charges, Foreign travel, and Home health care. Since this equates to somewhere between a Plan G(because of covered excess charges) and a Plan N(co-pays) will this be a better choice down the road over the UHC full coverage plan, which is exactly the same as a Plan F when 2020 comes around and full coverage plans will no longer be offered with respect to lower rate increases down the road. These are the only 2 plans AARP/UHC offer in Wis. so my thought is just like everywhere else the full coverage plan premiums will go up quicker and higher as only those who aren't healthy enough to change are on it.

Does anyone know if AARP/UHC allows Wis. plan participants to add or subtract riders at any time w/o going through underwriting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 05:45 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Any rider which reduces the coverage you now have should not require health underwriting, or so I have been told by insurance agents in WI. If, however, you have the 50% cost-sharing rider on the hospital deductible, you would not be able to move 100% coverage without health underwriting. Same for home health care. Once you drop that, if you add that back, UHC may want health underwriting. Same for plan with or without copay.

As you know, UHC has Level 1 or 2 rates. Which means, should you desire an upgrade in coverage and health questionnaire discloses issues, UHC may allow it, but charge the higher rate.

In WI, since I am very healthy, I would buy the basic plan with $20 copay, which also requires you pay the $183 deductible, the 50% cost-sharing for Part A, and home healthcare. If you have serious and chronic health issues requiring a lot of doctoring, then you are better off with the maximum coverage.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:03 PM

Would you also agree that the plan I have(Basic with Co-pay) will have the most stable future rates as compared to the full coverage plan they offer in Wis?

Old 03-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Yes. As a rule, the more cost-sharing on your end, the less aggressive the rate increases.

Fyi, because AARP UHC is a community-rated plan, rate increases due to age cease at age 77. Prior to age 77, the rates are discounted. Thereafter, no matter your age, everyone in the group over age 77 pays the same rate - based on claims experience for the entire group in the region.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-11-2018 at 09:45 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 AM

469 posts, read 761,759 times
You can subtract riders anytime without underwriting. If the UHC plan was purchased 6/1/2010 or later you can add riders anytime without underwriting but it does require signing a new application. This is an unusual request so if the CSR is unsure, refer them to the UHC/AARP Producer's Handbook for Wisconsin. It's Note #2 in the section for "Plan Change Situations for insured members", as follows.

"Insured members may call customer service to request a plan change over the phone. A new application is required ONLY if the insured member wants to add riders to their existing plan. Insured members do not need to answer health questions in Sections 4, 5 and 6 on the enrollment application. This also applies if the insured member only wants to add rider(s) to their current coverage."

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb7 View Post
... will this be a better choice down the road over the UHC full coverage plan, which is exactly the same as a Plan F when 2020 comes around and full coverage plans will no longer be offered with respect to lower rate increases down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Yes. As a rule, the more cost-sharing on your end, the less aggressive the rate increases.
I believe the poster was asking if the rate increases for the full coverage plan would become even more aggressive after 2020. The full coverage plan does not include the Part B deductible but there is a rider for it. Since the plan does not include the deductible, it will not be closing to new, healthy enrollees.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:55 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I will be 65 in August, I now live in Colorado, and I have not signed up for Medigap coverage yet, but I intend to get Plan F, the most comprehensive and the most expensive, but we are considering moving to Wisconsin in a couple of years after I turn 65 and have signed up, so how would it work if we get a Medigap policy in Colorado and then move to WI? Would we have to get a Wisconsin Medigap policy, and if so, would there be any underwriting involved?

I tried Googling it, but the closest I could get to an answer would be to call the state insurance office, but I am wondering if anyone could give me just a short answer. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Go to AARP/UHC's medigap plan website:

https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement.c...ion-guide.html

Go to "find plans" and put in a WI zip code and see how the plans here differ as compared to where you live(put your zip in to compare plans).

As to how your plan will change if you move to WI, you'll have to call the insurance company directly and ask them.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I will be 65 in August, I now live in Colorado, and I have not signed up for Medigap coverage yet, but I intend to get Plan F, the most comprehensive and the most expensive, but we are considering moving to Wisconsin in a couple of years after I turn 65 and have signed up, so how would it work if we get a Medigap policy in Colorado and then move to WI? Would we have to get a Wisconsin Medigap policy, and if so, would there be any underwriting involved?
Normally, you can keep the plan you have - but the insurer will probably adjust the premium to the state of residence. No underwriting. However, because WI is unique in that it mandates skilled nursing days and chiropractic, the insurer may require different coverage and/or rates if you move. You should not be subject to underwriting. Ask the insurer what to expect when you move WI - each insurer is different.

A suggestion, get a Plan G instead of the F. Often insurers charge more annually, sometimes substantially, for an F than the actual Part B deductible, currently $183. Future premium increases may also be lower because of cost-sharing. Further Plan F is being discontinued in 2020. Thus, if you keep the Plan F from CO, when the book of business is closed for Plan F in 2020, you may be subject to higher premium increases as the risk pool becomes older and sicker.

Plan G - a community-rated policy - through AARP UHC is popular with many on CD. You can get a quote, here:

https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement.c...l?WT.mc_id=43D

If you check WI, you will note you have the choice of two plans - and can choose riders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance