Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Can you post pictures of the bill and the EOB? Do not include your name or identifying info.
I will as soon as I get to work tomorrow (where there’s a scanner). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:36 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I will as soon as I get to work tomorrow (where there’s a scanner). Thanks.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 PM

555 posts, read 595,551 times
I just had my yearly physical as well, including thyroid testing. I just looked at my EOB. Complete lab work cost was $162 (comprehensive panel plus cholesterol panel); plan discount was $128; plan paid the remaining $34 and I owe nothing.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
I think your best bet is calling and asking your doctor's office what the actual cost of that test is and why it is so high?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:20 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
OP: I'm guessing your employer does not offer health insurance benefits. Reading your story and thinking about my own life and how it's been with benefits from employers, it's hard to swallow where it is today. More and more greed on the part of the insurance companies. Personally, I didn't go to doctors unless I really needed to and that started after 50 when I went thru menopause and everything changes.. I worked for years on getting thyroid supported..due to those G.D. lab numbers. It's all money driven and numbers driven, forget about symptoms and how patients feel....I've ranted as I had to get things off my chest I suppose.

Your bill sounds terribly fishy to me. If you are left with monies they say you owe, make minimum payments -- they can't get blood from a turnip and you sound like you live pretty simply anyway and on a limited income. My 2cents for my almost 80 yrs on this earth.

So so much has changed and I must have had 15 employers in my 40 yrs of working, and they all offered a health insurance in their benefit package. We in many ways are a crazy money driven country.

I do my best to stay away from doctors but stuff happens...I do a LOT of my own healing and that's where a good sum of my money goes.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-17-2018 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 01:12 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
That does sound too high for one test. Definitely call your insurance company's customer service tomorrow, for all you know this could be in error in coding --that happens all of the time. Seriously, all of the time, and it isn't caught until the member calls and asks for an explanation of why that amount is so high. Good luck!
This is excellent advice. Also call the hospital billing office after talking to the insurer. One obvious question for the hospital is whether they received a denial from the insurance company.

Also, are there any footnotes on your EOB?

Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I have a high-deductible bronze plan that I signed up for at healthcare.gov. It allegedly covers preventive routine visits and screenings.

I went for my yearly preventive office visit a couple of weeks ago and today I received a bill from my doctor's office for $519.96 for the charges that my insurance company didn't cover.

Since I had my yearly thyroid test during the visit (among other tests that were not diagnostic) to determine whether my current Levothyroxin dose was still good (diagnostic), I did expect a bill, but $519.96?

The EOB from my insurance company shows the names of two doctors that I never saw, and includes a code notation as follows:

"45 - Charge exceeds fee schedule/maximum allowable or contracted/legislated fee arrangement."

Anyone experienced this?
You need to call your insurer directly as no one here knows you're policy and what's covered and what isn't. There are thousands of policies now a days and what is covered by some isn't by others so asking advice here is futile until you can provide more facts and figures. Best to you as I'm in a similar situation with
surgical bills - next time - I'll tell them to just watch it and if there is a change - then we will proceed with surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance