Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 02:11 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times

Advertisements

I need to decide whether to get a Part D plan. The cheapest is $14.50, but the penalty, if I figured it correctly, will be around $50 (12 years without part D, which if my appeal wins will be reduced to 8 years) I don't take any medicines, nor have I for a long time. I have 14 years until 65. Should I sign up, or hope I can make it to 65 without it? If I do that, the penalty will keep increasing, but several threads make it seem that you can get by with Wal-Mart drugs. So,let me hear your opinion about Part D.

Note: I already had a thread about part B and the severe penalties they charge. No need to re-discuss that. I'm appealing that right now. That appeal may reduce the part D penalty down to 8 years if I win that appeal. Anyway, this thread is about part D and whether I should get it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 02:19 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I thought one had to be 65 for any Medicare benefits. You say you have 14 yrs before 65. What am I missing here...have things changed so much and I was not paying attention.

I took Medicare at 65 and did NOT buy into D and I think way back it was like $7/mo, but I'm not into take many drugs and the ones I take I pay out of pocket, I can handle as they are low in price..

If something comes up for me I'll deal with it whenever...there are always alternatives to the high priced drugs they shove down people's throats...I spend my money on supplements to stay away from the drugs...I'm 80.

As I see it people who buy Part D take a lot of drugs and are sick with many issues.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:26 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I thought one had to be 65 for any Medicare benefits. You say you have 14 yrs before 65. What am I missing here...have things changed so much and I was not paying attention.

I took Medicare at 65 and did NOT buy into D and I think way back it was like $7/mo, but I'm not into take many drugs and the ones I take I pay out of pocket, I can handle as they are low in price..

If something comes up for me I'll deal with it whenever...there are always alternatives to the high priced drugs they shove down people's throats...I spend my money on supplements to stay away from the drugs...I'm 80.

As I see it people who buy Part D take a lot of drugs and are sick with many issues.
In a previous post, the OP has said he is on SS Disability, which makes him eligible for Medicare.

See http://www.city-data.com/forum/45615276-post1.html

Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM

That's right. I get SS Disability. Just recently got Part B and now must decide between Part D or an Advantage plan or just part B with nothing else.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Oh I didn't see previous postings. What I say still stands on what I've done. If OP is on disability and takes no drugs, then we can't make a decision. I personally don't want to worry myself about what may never happen. Some people buy insurance for everything..

I remember when the Part D came into existence, a lady friend was a broker and how she tried to talk me into buying into it, and I've never regretted not. I can't even figure how much money I've saved over the 15 yrs as I'm sure the D has gone up about every year or so.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:21 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's right. I get SS Disability. Just recently got Part B and now must decide between Part D or an Advantage plan or just part B with nothing else.
Of course once you reach 65 you get a do over without the penalties.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Of course once you reach 65 you get a do over without the penalties.

Right. Should I gamble on not needing part D until then? That's what I have to decide. Of course, I could sign up later, but the penalty will have gone up.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:27 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Quote:
Get an Advantage plan (if you still can, not sure w/what all you've done and/or waited on) - there are lots of plans in the DC Metro area.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Get an Advantage plan (if you still can, not sure w/what all you've done and/or waited on) - there are lots of plans in the DC Metro area.

I am considering that too, but still have to pay the part D penalty with that even though it's not part D.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 PM

54 posts, read 33,547 times
Quote:
I am considering that too, but still have to pay the part D penalty with that even though it's not part D.
Probably not. Most Advantage Plans include Part D.

And to answer your question, no, I would never go without Part D. Just because you haven't needed to take a lot of drugs up until now doesn't mean you won't get diagnosed with something like cancer next month. Kind of like me and driving a car. I drove for 45 years never ever having an accident that was my fault. Then when I was 60 I totaled a car. Driving accident free for 45 years provided me with no protection that day. Same difference in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance