Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 01:46 PM

421 posts, read 391,773 times

Advertisements

The current Executive Branch craziness drives me nuts . . . but I won't waste my or anyone else's time debating that.

My question is I will be moving to a new state September 1 of 2019 and will be picking up Obamacare for the first time because my current grandmothered plan will not cover me in a new state. Now that there is a threat that the ACA will be eliminated in the future could that impact me picking up ACA coverage 5 months from now?

I need ACA coverage until November 2020, when I turn 65 and don't really have any other options, because of recent prostate cancer diagnosis and surgery I doubt that I could get coverage on my own.

I am hoping if it does get eliminated it won't effect any health insurance decisions in 2019 and once I am on ACA I will be able to get at least something for the 10 months in 2020 I need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 02:08 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
IMO - it won't go away because ONE person says it will - I would look at ACA plans and act accordingly.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:37 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Agree with Flamingo. The body-politic GOP is not behind trying to beat this dead horse, yet again. Promises during a campaign which proved baseless will repeat. The GOP never had a plan in the past, and it doesn't now. Further, if by remote chance GOP succeeds, implementation most likely wouldn't begin until following calendar year. Nothing is happening this year. You should make it to 65.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-31-2019 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 04:39 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,522,642 times
2 chances of it going away........slim and none!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:14 PM

949 posts, read 789,636 times
I'm 62 1/2 and also on Obamacare. Based on what I've read, the SC won't consider the suit against it until 2020. I give it a 50/50 chance of being struck down in 2020.

You'll be close enough to Medicare that you should be able to get away with "going naked" for a few months if it comes to that. I'll be stuck with about 1.5 years without insurance before I become eligible for Medicare.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:20 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
The current Executive Branch craziness drives me nuts . . . but I won't waste my or anyone else's time debating that.

My question is I will be moving to a new state September 1 of 2019 and will be picking up Obamacare for the first time because my current grandmothered plan will not cover me in a new state. Now that there is a threat that the ACA will be eliminated in the future could that impact me picking up ACA coverage 5 months from now?

I need ACA coverage until November 2020, when I turn 65 and don't really have any other options, because of recent prostate cancer diagnosis and surgery I doubt that I could get coverage on my own.

I am hoping if it does get eliminated it won't effect any health insurance decisions in 2019 and once I am on ACA I will be able to get at least something for the 10 months in 2020 I need it.
I think the GOP is hesitant to repeal the ACA since there is no other healthcare plan in the offing. It's not only Dem constituents who have it. And the majority of Americans like at least part of it. I would definitely apply in September if I were you. I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery. Take care.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:56 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think the GOP is hesitant to repeal the ACA since there is no other healthcare plan in the offing. It's not only Dem constituents who have it. And the majority of Americans like at least part of it. I would definitely apply in September if I were you. I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery. Take care.
They were n't hesitant. They came up short by a vote or two. This time it is in the courts.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 AM

1,305 posts, read 857,033 times
I think you will be ok.....these things have to go through multiple courts...I, too am stressed out, as I am 64 and on Obamacare....I don't love it, but it's better than nothing.....I am eligible for Medicare February 2020 and hoping to hold on just like you until then.....will keep my fingers crossed for us both! The people I feel sorry for are those approaching a planned retirement at 62 or so, and now not knowing if Obamacare will cover the gap for them...

Old 04-01-2019, 10:35 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Republicans don't like it and Democrats have moved past Obamacare and they're onto Medicare for everyone. I wouldn't count on Obamacare even if it's still available later this year.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:54 PM

421 posts, read 391,773 times
My fingers are crossed that it will take too much time to completely dismantle Obamacare that it won't effect me personally before I am Medicare eligible.

I am very thankful for the ACA legislation years ago. This is because even though I am not currently on the ACA plans, it is because of the law I was able to leave my employment plan at retirement (I had pre-existing conditions that would have precluded that prior to ACA) in 2013 and pick up a grandmothered individual health plan at that time that was a much cheaper premium than my work insurance ($565 vs $1,400) for my wife and I. On top of that it was better coverage. This has worked very well for us the last 6 years.

Just a few more months!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance