Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 12:31 PM

174 posts, read 590,836 times

Advertisements

As per some of the threads here, and my own experience, the medicare.gov page that's supposed to show available Medigap plans in my area isn't entirely accurate. For example, UHC offers a plan G on their website that doesn't show up on the .gov website.

So...I'm thinking of going to an insurance broker, hoping they'll have a more complete database of what is available. For those of you that went to a broker, do you have any tips how to select an unbiased one? Did you go to a local broker, or use one online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 01:22 PM

469 posts, read 761,939 times
Your profile shows posts in the Oregon forum so I assume you live there. 2019 Medigap plans and rates start on page 38 of the "2019 Medicare Guide" found in the left column of this website.

https://healthcare.oregon.gov/shiba/Pages/index.aspx

If you live in another state, try their Department of Insurance website for current Medigap plans and rates.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:59 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
As per some of the threads here, and my own experience, the medicare.gov page that's supposed to show available Medigap plans in my area isn't entirely accurate. For example, UHC offers a plan G on their website that doesn't show up on the .gov website.

So...I'm thinking of going to an insurance broker, hoping they'll have a more complete database of what is available. For those of you that went to a broker, do you have any tips how to select an unbiased one? Did you go to a local broker, or use one online?
Where are you in the Medicare process - newly-eligible or considering a switch in Medigap carriers?

If you do reside in Oregon, because of its "birthday rule," you are fortunate as you have guaranteed issue rights to switch Medigap carriers annually on your birthday without health underwriting.
Quote:
  • The opportunity to compare prices and change Medigap plans starts on the beneficiary's birthday and ends 30 days later.
  • The change is guaranteed, regardless of your health.
https://medicare-oregon.com/birthday_rule.html
Otherwise, if you are not in Oregon or another guaranteed issue state, pricing is important. Cheapest initially could become very expensive in the end. Rates quoted for various age groups is the rate at the time you purchase the policy.

If you are a long-term holder of an attained-age policy, your rate will be substantially higher than that shown on the above link for a new enrollee. You cannot make a comparison of your future premium for an attained-age policy based on rates shown on that link.

Note the United Healthcare rates - there is no change in premium after age 75 (actually UHC ceases age-based rate increase at age 77) because UHC is community-rated. UHC discounts premium for those under age 77. Thereafter, everyone pays the same. Many here have the UHC G or F.

If you are new to Medicare and fairly young yet, consider either an issue-age policy - the base rate never changes, you only experience rate increases because of medical cost inflation - or a community rated policy generally only offered by AARP UHC. Attained-age policies are risky as you age. Many companies implement age-based rate increases to age 85.

Medicare on Medigap pricing:

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...-policies.aspx

Or, if you're healthy, consider a high-deductible F. You should also read this, if you have not already:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

Deductible for the high-deductible F is now $2,300.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-08-2019 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 05:50 PM

174 posts, read 590,836 times
SCGamecock, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The link you provided has information different than medicare.gov or the UHC website. So that's three different sets so far. That's why I asked about a broker, thinking maybe they have the true scoop? I don't know, just getting a little frustrated...

And yes, I'm in Oregon, and will be eligible for Medicare soon, Ariadne22. The HD F plan is tempting because of the lower rates, but if you get sick, the high deductible will equal the difference pretty quickly, I think? Guess I'm leaning toward G so far.

Thank you both for all the information you provide, by the way.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:11 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
And yes, I'm in Oregon, and will be eligible for Medicare soon, Ariadne22. The HD F plan is tempting because of the lower rates, but if you get sick, the high deductible will equal the difference pretty quickly, I think? Guess I'm leaning toward G so far.
Most people on the hd-F find substantial premium savings over time. Of course, that could change as you age. You'd need to experience annually Medicare-approved charges of $11,500 in order to meet the $2,300 deductible. Even w/Oregon's birthday rule, you could not upgrade to a regular Medigap without health underwriting should chronic illness strike and going forward you experience consistently high expenses. If the higher premium for a regular G isn't an issue and will set your mind at rest, then choose that. Some here have the hd-F, more have a full Medigap.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:39 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:

When I was looking to change my medicare supplement to another company, I had to go through medical underwriting. With my aortic aneurysm, I knew that might be a problem. I used a medicare broker that I found online. He was great and did the legwork to see which companies would take me on with my condition. I really appreciated that as I was getting a High Deductible F policy, which does not pay the agent very much at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance