Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 12:27 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,648,987 times

Advertisements

Dec. 9 (UPI) -- A record 25 percent of U.S. adults said they or a family member delayed treatment for a serious medical condition in the past year because of cost, Gallup said Monday.

The number is up from 19 percent a year ago and the highest in Gallup's trend data since a high of 22 percent recorded postponing treatment for a serious condition in 2014, data released Monday shows.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019...5911963/?sl=12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM

7,970 posts, read 9,185,699 times
High deductible plans. Obamacare plans are the worst when it comes to high deductibles. An unsubsidized family can easily be out almost 30k between premiums and deductibles before a bill will be covered.

To make it worse, in my state most Obamacare marketplace plans are not HSA compatible despite being very high deductible in nature.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:46 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,820,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
High deductible plans. Obamacare plans are the worst when it comes to high deductibles. An unsubsidized family can easily be out almost 30k between premiums and deductibles before a bill will be covered.

To make it worse, in my state most Obamacare marketplace plans are not HSA compatible despite being very high deductible in nature.
What do you suggest for the unemployed then? Are you saying that an unemployed person can shop around and find a better deal than ACA? This is a real question.

When I lost my job in the spring of ‘18, I took cobra, which cost me around $380/mo with $5000 deductible. Not bad for health insurance in the US but tough on someone without a job. But one night I was staying with a friend who I suspect had mold problems and I got my first asthma attack in 25 years and ended up sleeping in my car. I thought it would get better outside but it didn’t and actually took weeks to completely resolve. I had no meds because it had been so long since my last attack and I remembered that Primatene Mist as a great otc remedy that had really helped me before. Nope, it was off the market and no other otc inhalers were available. It was the middle of the night so options were limited. I powered through but boy was I pi$$ed. Note: P.Mist is back on the market with a higher price because the company took advantage of the fact that they were forced to change the propellant and classified it as new drug.

Right now at the ACA marketplace the cheapest plan I can find is over $500/mo and over $8000 deductible and I’m still unemployed and exactly age 60. If you know of better I’d love to hear it.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
What do you suggest for the unemployed then? Are you saying that an unemployed person can shop around and find a better deal than ACA? This is a real question.

When I lost my job in the spring of ‘18, I took cobra, which cost me around $380/mo with $5000 deductible. Not bad for health insurance in the US but tough on someone without a job. But one night I was staying with a friend who I suspect had mold problems and I got my first asthma attack in 25 years and ended up sleeping in my car. I thought it would get better outside but it didn’t and actually took weeks to completely resolve. I had no meds because it had been so long since my last attack and I remembered that Primatene Mist as a great otc remedy that had really helped me before. Nope, it was off the market and no other otc inhalers were available. It was the middle of the night so options were limited. I powered through but boy was I pi$$ed. Note: P.Mist is back on the market with a higher price because the company took advantage of the fact that they were forced to change the propellant and classified it as new drug.

Right now at the ACA marketplace the cheapest plan I can find is over $500/mo and over $8000 deductible and I’m still unemployed and exactly age 60. If you know of better I’d love to hear it.
The question should have been regarding ACA is this the best we can do? Simply expanding Medicaid on a sliding scale based on your income would have bought better coverage then forcing people to buy a policy from a for profit insurance company.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:58 PM

Some people are choosing the cost saving ministries and other such accounts. I have no personal experience with them, but they tend to be cheaper.
If you have no income and your state did the Medicaid expansion you could use that and change out of it when you get a job.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:45 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,537,828 times
Quote:
Some people are choosing the cost saving ministries and other such accounts. I have no personal experience with them, but they tend to be cheaper.
If I were older waiting until I'm Medicare eligible, I definitely would consider joining a health sharing ministry. Premiums are much lower, deductibles very reasonable (not multi-thousands), however they do require health underwriting for acceptance. Couple of threads on the subject, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...althshare.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...medishare.html

Old 12-12-2019, 11:50 PM

530 posts, read 175,685 times
Another depressing fact:

Quote:
A separate Gallup Poll reported a few days ago that 43 percent of U.S. households include someone with a preexisting condition.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:23 PM

9,384 posts, read 14,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Dec. 9 (UPI) -- A record 25 percent of U.S. adults said they or a family member delayed treatment for a serious medical condition in the past year because of cost, Gallup said Monday.

The number is up from 19 percent a year ago and the highest in Gallup's trend data since a high of 22 percent recorded postponing treatment for a serious condition in 2014, data released Monday shows.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019...5911963/?sl=12
This is news?

Self-employed, I have high deductible health insurance, but I call it catastrophic health insurance because there is little incentive to seek treatment unless it is a catastrophic emergency that one knows will cost at least some $12,000 and indeed $30,000 or more.

The US has a perverse health care financing system with perverse incentives and too often perverse outcomes. Basic logic, not news.

Quote:
... when it comes to high deductibles. An unsubsidized family can easily be out almost 30k between premiums and deductibles before a bill will be covered.
I suppose the only non-perverse incentive is I do everything possible to avoid injury and sickness, including being very careful about what and how much I eat and exercise every day. Still, I let of lot of things go and hope for the best.

Good Luck to All!

Old 12-18-2019, 05:38 PM

9,886 posts, read 7,772,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I suppose the only non-perverse incentive is I do everything possible to avoid injury and sickness, including being very careful about what and how much I eat and exercise every day.
I agree with you on this!

Old 12-19-2019, 09:59 AM

1,158 posts, read 963,796 times
Quote:
The question should have been regarding ACA is this the best we can do? Simply expanding Medicaid on a sliding scale based on your income would have bought better coverage then forcing people to buy a policy from a for profit insurance company.
Except some states refused to expand their Medicaid programs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance