Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2019, 04:11 PM

730 posts, read 1,315,365 times

Advertisements

We've moved to another state, so I'll have to change my Part D coverage as my current plan only covers the Northeast.

Husband is lucky, he's now under the VA and gets all his meds for free (sigh)!

Who can I ask for a simple explanation? Can my WalGreens pharmacist recommend a company? I only have 3 prescriptions which hopefully won't expand to any more.

I started checking websites and had to exit out and go back to playing solitaire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 04:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 619,507 times
Legally, a pharmacist cannot recommend a specific part D plan.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:51 PM

810 posts, read 872,770 times
It takes a little time but the best way to find the best Part D for your needs is to go to this Medicare site and complete the questions. If you are only looking for Part D, then check the third box to get started:

https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compar...r=2020&lang=en

Have your 3 prescriptions drug list next to you, as you will need to enter the name, dosage, quantity, and frequency (ie. 30 if you pick it up at a retail pharmacy; 90 if you get a 3-month supply through mail order).

The result will show you drug costs by each Part D supplier, and you can sort it from least expensive to most expensive, etc.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:57 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,875,306 times
I wouldn't trust the Medicare comparison site unless they have fixed it. Apparently they had it re-done and it was majorly screwed up and people had to change or ended up with a plan that they pay more for their meds. I had chosen a WellCare plan that was the cheapest total cost for me. I only take 1 prescription med so you would think it would be easy. When I heard about the problems I actually went directly to the WellCare site and discovered that I would be paying over $200 more in total costs even with a higher premium. I changed plans directly through the WellCare site (2 days before the end date) and thought it was done although it took me 1.5 hours with an Indian CS person whom I couldn't understand. Not so. It took 2 more calls and finally getting someone from the US to get it straightened out. Still waiting for my correct coupon book and ID card. Plus they had the pharmacies screwed up as well. Medicare site said we had to use WalMart, but WellCare site said CVS.

Once you find the several plans you think would work, go directly to the actual sites and check the info.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:09 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,639,903 times
Exclamation Always double check

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I wouldn't trust the Medicare comparison site unless they have fixed it. Apparently they had it re-done and it was majorly screwed up and people had to change or ended up with a plan that they pay more for their meds. I had chosen a WellCare plan that was the cheapest total cost for me. I only take 1 prescription med so you would think it would be easy. When I heard about the problems I actually went directly to the WellCare site and discovered that I would be paying over $200 more in total costs even with a higher premium. I changed plans directly through the WellCare site (2 days before the end date) and thought it was done although it took me 1.5 hours with an Indian CS person whom I couldn't understand. Not so. It took 2 more calls and finally getting someone from the US to get it straightened out. Still waiting for my correct coupon book and ID card. Plus they had the pharmacies screwed up as well. Medicare site said we had to use WalMart, but WellCare site said CVS.

Once you find the several plans you think would work, go directly to the actual sites and check the info.
IMHO, that is true of all 3 of the Medicare website's information sections that are not directly provided by Medicare itself. The 3 being Part C Medicare Advantage plans, Part D Drug plans, & Medigap plans. All 3 are highly error prone and/or misleading.

Always double check with the actual provider.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:51 PM

421 posts, read 391,940 times
Part D is such a hot potato to decide what to do. Yes, your medications that you have taken regularly over a long period are easy to compare and make a logical decision as to which plan is the better fit, the problem is those medications in the future you have no idea when or what it may be can really mess up your original decision. You can't change mid-year your plan and it could be financially devastating if you get stuck with a med that isn't covered at all or is extremely expensive under your chosen plan.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:17 PM

5,183 posts, read 3,100,236 times
How do I select a part D plan if I take no prescription meds? I'd like to buy the equivalent of a catastrophic Rx plan (cancer, transplants, etc.), but it looks like the cheaper plans don’t cover the exotic, high-end drugs.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:48 PM

810 posts, read 872,770 times
Remember it's only for one year. From a probability standpoint, if you're not on the exotic, high-end drugs now, you likely won't be during the year. It's a dice roll, but if your health changes then you switch to a different Part D plan during open enrollment at the end of 2020. In the meantime, you'd be on a plan paying the lowest possible since you don't take any prescription meds.

Also keep in mind that every plan's formulary tiers and pricing changes each year. It's a bizarre merry-go-round system where you sometimes have to change horses every year to optimize costs.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:18 PM

730 posts, read 1,315,365 times
OK, I've done some research and think the United Health Plan Part D through AARP might be a good fit. We currently have United Healthcare through the company we worked for and have had no negative issues during a long, chronic, and costly illness hubby has (poor guy).

It looks like BlueCareMA Part d is doubling their premium so it appears that I would have changed companies even if we'd not moved.

BTW, he's in the VA system now and the Salisbury NC; VA is beyond wonderful. The doctors are top notch; we've been here only 3 weeks and he's seen all his doctors at least once, maybe more, programs have been implemented, it's a beautiful sight to behold. He gets all his prescriptions (very very costly) free, all treatments are paid for by the VA (one treatment supposedly is about $46,000 per treatment (yes, that's me gasping). So all the VAs are not substandard by any means.

Thanks for your responses and help, much appreciated!

Old 01-12-2020, 06:39 AM

716 posts, read 540,277 times
as other said go to the mdicare site - look under Part D- you can list all your scripts and then look up your county and various pharmacies - for me is was wellcare and CVS saves hundreds over others

it take some time to shop the plans and different pharmacies but kinda eye opener when you see what some charge for the same scripts!

we fired our old pharmacy and i went in told them they we overcharging alot - he did not care as most never shop around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance